Valkyrie movie flubs/mistakes.

Discussions on WW2 and pre-WW2 related movies, games, military art and other fiction.
LI995

Re: Valkyrie movie flubs/mistakes.

Post by LI995 » 06 Apr 2009 07:03

I agree on the eyepatch, howver, for a brushup on German with the German subtitles it is pretty good. Cheers.

LI995

Post by LI995 » 06 Apr 2009 07:05

By the way, on the General Staff Officer collar tabs, I believe I was wrong, they go on with the "points" on the outside of the bars going down, not up. If anyone knows about the use of matte or shiny alum/silver, whether that was personal choice or not, I'd be interested in any information on the subject.

pavel michalek

Post by pavel michalek » 05 Oct 2009 20:24

Hitler never wore civilian clothes after September 1, 1939 and we can see him in such clothes in Berghof scene. Hitler´s uniform in bomb attack scene is a mix of his one breasted (notice incorrect two buttons on his back) and his usual at that time double breasted uniform.

colt45

Post by colt45 » 06 Oct 2009 16:02

did you see the dial on the desk TELEPHONE?

pavel michalek

Post by pavel michalek » 06 Oct 2009 19:26

General Friedrich Fromm (Tom Wilkinson) should have Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross (he received it in 1940).

1Sqn

Post by 1Sqn » 01 Feb 2010 13:32

it was good movie though, but i dont agree to have tom cruise in it he is just wrong man to play it suppose be german actor to play in, i just watch valkyrie on cable tv last week but felt not comfortable with tom cruise because he is Scientology etc,

nagle

Post by nagle » 11 May 2010 21:17

The Teletype output that's all upper case on paper tape is genuine, but the lower case text, with or without umlauts, is not. I have a working Model 15, and it's limited to two shifts of 32 characters. Not until the model 20 did a dual-case machine appear, and that was for remote typesetting for newspapers. German military Teletype systems were 5-level single case, just like the US.

Most of the machines shown are actually Teletype Corporation Model 15s (manufactured in Chicago from 1930 to 1959), which Germany built under license before the war, and presumably copied during the war. The paper tape machines are variants of the Model 14.

The scene where all the operators raise their hands as the message announcing Hitler's death comes in has a problem - some of those operators are using Model 14 keyboard perforators, which are send-only and can't receive.

robertmountfor

Post by robertmountfor » 08 Jun 2010 00:01

LI995 wrote:As no one replied to the comments from Cigarboy and stvictoria about the German Cross in Gold--I have wondered about this also. Stauffenberg likely did not identify strongly with what the wearing of that award would represent. He also did not wear ribbons for service on the Eastern Front or in North Africa to which he was entitled, whereas many other high officers wore every one they could associate themselves with.

I recall also that General Beck wanted to appear in public in civilian dress after the assasination to distance himself from the ideals of the current regime. I believe that Graf von Stauffenberg would have worn what was necessary for his daily work and to get into and out of the HQ on the dry run and the day of the Attentat attempt. Also, later in the war, this award was sometimes issued as a patch (which I have seen for sale by reputable dealers and in collector's books such as R. James Bender's extensive publications) because of the lack of availability of materials. Does anyone know whether the medal was amongst the items in his belongings after Stauffenberg was killed for high treason?

Sometimes accuracy is not expensive--the producers and directors simply have to find the right "experts." When biographers are well-known, as in the case of Joachim Fest or Douglas Southall Freeman, this is less difficult. Of course the experience, skill and training of actors is more important to creating the mood and climate of the final cuts than probably any other factor--which is why Tom Cruise may have surprised so many people with his portrayal of Stauffenberg. I think this kind of knowledge has been one of the keys to Wolfgang Peterson's success, especially in making transitions from German television to German film to Hollywood--or, in the case of writers, take John Milius as an example. Or you can take an easy to find example, such as Sebastian Koch's ability to portray Stauffenberg, and then turn around and do an excellent portrayal of Albert Speer in "Speer und Er." It is not all about teletypes, collar points, or the number of flags on a plaza. However, the latter details are nonetheless of interest.

Some mistakes in 'Speer and Him' but the uniforms first rate. I collect uniforms and associated Third Reich. I had to have the tunic worn by Tobias Moretti who portrayed A.H. in this film as it was sooooo well made...a friend of mine who works for 'Theater Kunst' in Berlin who supplied / produced all the costumes for this film managed to get it for me, along with the visor cap. the uniform made for Bruno Ganz by 'Hero Collections' was pretty bad....more like a shortened overcoat!

Roddoss72

Post by Roddoss72 » 12 Jul 2010 13:07

One glaring mistake is that TomCat is 5 foot 4 and Staufenburg was 6 foot 2.

valkyrie

Post by valkyrie » 12 Jul 2010 14:23

Didn't bother me any more than John Rhys Davies playing the dwarf dude with the axe in LOTR. :-)

Colin

LilliMarlene

Post by LilliMarlene » 10 Sep 2010 12:26

I have to say, the most glaring thing for me is that while nearly every other character is puffing away, CVS never smokes throughout the film. Wasn't von Stauffenberg a heavy smoker? I kept thinking, "Give the poor guy a cigarette!" I know they want to establish him as the hero, but in 1944, even heroes smoked! It annoyed me. Trust Hollywood to promote anti-smoking at the cost of historical accuracy.
~Lilli Marlene
"Wie einst, Lilli Marlene...."

1Sqn

Post by 1Sqn » 27 Jan 2012 19:12

Hmmm Marlene Dietrich but love Renate Muller, Both is very sexy german, but shame that Renate Muller cut short life she died only 30 years old 1937 there was so much mystery what had happen to her there was so many different story which that she was killed by gastpo, or she fall the window from her hotel, or other things we dont know which is tell the truth

offizier1916

Post by offizier1916 » 19 Oct 2016 22:43

edit

Return to “Movies, games & other fiction”