Band of Brothers/translation/help

Discussions on WW2 and pre-WW2 related movies, games, military art and other fiction.
Janne K.
Location: Studying in Aberdeen, Scotland (Home is in Finland)

Band of Brothers/translation/help

Post by Janne K. » 28 Jan 2003 20:46

The speech of the German General. I wrote it down myself. I would like that someone who understands German better than I do to check it for mistakes, if any. So if you really understand German (native speaker) and have seen the scene, please help me, you are my only hope, Obi-wan...oops sorry! I have few pleasures here in Aberdeen part from watching BoB and studying history (well maybe not in that order) so it is always nice to learn lines from movies especially if they are in German. Oh yes the speech is here:

Männer! Es war ein langer Krieg, es war ein harter Krieg. Sie haben
tapfer und stolz für Ihren Vaterland gekämpft. Sie sind eine besondere
Truppe, die miteinander einen Zusammenhalt gefunden hat, der in
Erscheinung nur im Kampf entwickeln kan, unter den Kameraden, die den
Fuchshöhlen geteilt haben, die sich in schrecklichen Momente gegenseitig
gestützt haben, die den Tot zusammen gesehen haben und gemeinsam
gelitten haben. Ich bin stolz mit Ihnen gedient zu haben! Sie alle
verdienen ein langes und glückliches Leben im Frieden!

Thank you for your help!

Janne K.

Polynike

Post by Polynike » 28 Jan 2003 23:24

today i saw that last episode from my BB dvd special pack and in the film Liebgot(spelling) transaltes the speech which i find quite stirring everytime i see it

HPL2008

Translation

Post by HPL2008 » 28 Jan 2003 23:30

Here you are; corrections are in bold script:

Männer! Es war ein langer Krieg, es war ein harter Krieg. (Men! It was a long war, it was a hard war.) Sie haben tapfer und stolz für Ihr Vaterland gekämpft. (You have fought for your fatherland bravely and proudly.) Sie sind eine besondere Truppe, die miteinander einen Zusammenhalt gefunden hat, der in
Erscheinung nur im Kampf entwickeln kann, unter den Kameraden, die die
Fuchshöhlen geteilt haben, die sich in schrecklichen Momenten gegenseitig
gestützt haben, die den Tod zusammen gesehen haben und gemeinsam
gelitten haben.* (You are a special troop, who has found a bonding, which can develop only in combat, amongst comrades, who have shared the foxholes, who have supported each other in terrible moments, who have seen death together and who have suffered together. ) Ich bin stolz, mit Ihnen gedient zu haben! (I am proud of having served with you.) Sie alle
verdienen ein langes und glückliches Leben im Frieden! (You all deserve a long and happy life in peace!)

*) There's something wrong with this sentence: "der in Erscheinung nur im Kampf entwickeln kann" doesn't make sense at all. It should be either "der sich nur im Kampf entwickeln kann" (= "which can develop only in combat") - that's the version I used in my translation - or "der nur im Kampf in Erscheinung treten kann" (= "which can appear only in combat"). Also "Fuchshöhlen" as such is a correct term, but in German it refers exclusively to a real fox's lair and is not a military term. The correct German term here would be "Schützenloch" or "Schützengraben".

Janne K.

Post by Janne K. » 29 Jan 2003 21:45

Thank you, HPL2008 :) . I will check that bizarre sentence but you are probably right. About the word "Fuchshöhlen", it was used in the film. I wonder who wrote that speech? Is it in the book Band of Brothers or did some German general give this speech to his troops or is this speech just made up by one of the series writers.(I guess it is just made up so that little people like me would feel excited, because we rarely hear speeches by German generals in real life.)

J.A.K.

PS The beatings will continue until morale improves. 8O

Jeff O

Post by Jeff O » 31 Jan 2003 00:33

Did anyone notice that the general who gave that speech also played a nazi in Raiders of the Lost Ark??

Surfkorps

Janne K.

Post by Janne K. » 31 Jan 2003 16:23

Surfkorps wrote:Did anyone notice that the general who gave that speech also played a nazi in Raiders of the Lost Ark??

Surfkorps

The general is played by Wolf Kahler. Here is his filmography:

http://us.imdb.com/Name?Kahler,%20Wolf

Yours,

J.

Willem

Post by Willem » 03 Feb 2003 21:29

Typecasting?? :lol: :lol:

What an incredible actor, he played the most significant people in WW2.

kobold

Post by kobold » 03 Feb 2003 22:26

Willem wrote:Typecasting?? :lol: :lol:

What an incredible actor, he played the most significant people in WW2.

Yes i remember him from a lot of his roles.
Theres a handful of german actors who played a lot of german officers quite well.

i saw him in an early ferrero Rochet advert some years ago too :)

dave

USAF1986

Post by USAF1986 » 23 Feb 2003 19:23

Per Ambrose’s Band of Brothers, the general who surrendered to “E” Company/506th Parachute Infantry Regiment (101st Airborne Division) was Generalleutnant Theodor Tolsdorff, recipient of the Knight’s Cross with Oakleaves, Swords and Diamonds. Commander of the LXXXII Army Corps, Tolsdorff and a convoy of 31 vehicles surrendered at a crossroads checkpoint manned by “E” Company near Berchtesgaden. Tolsdorff apparently didn’t like the idea of surrendering to an enlisted man (“Babe” Heffron), so they fetched a second lieutenant to do the honors! It seems elements of this event were borrowed for the “speech scene” in the HBO episode.

Regards,
Shawn

tobbe

Post by tobbe » 01 Mar 2003 17:00

What happend to the general?

kobold

Post by kobold » 01 Mar 2003 18:00

tobbe wrote:What happend to the general?

just had a qick google search and all the sites he is mentioed on are in german :(, but seem to be just lists of award winners.

http://www.twschwarzer.de/ek.htm

lists him as having died in 1978.

some sites list his last name as having "ff" and some as just "f" at the end.

not much help i know :)

dave

this site is in german and appears to have more info but my german is very bad.
http://www.lexikon-der-wehrmacht.de/Per ... rffT-R.htm

heres a very rough translation:
* 3. November 1909, Lehnarten / Ostpreußen + 25. Mai 1978, Dortmund

Theodor Tolsdorff stepped 1934 voluntarily into the infantry regiment 1 <../Gliederungen/Infanterieregimenter/IR1.htm>ein and as the NCO was trained there.
Already in June 1936 it was promoted because of its special suitability to officer. With beginning of war Tolsdorff led the 14. (Panzerabwhr -) company of the Fuessilier regiment 22 <../Gliederungen/Fusilier-Regimenter/FusReg22.htm >.
Already in the Poland campaign it received both stages of the iron cross, in addition it was for the first time wounded by a shoulder leading. Tolsdorff led its company after its recovery in Fankreich and with the assault on the Soviet Union. In September 1941 again heavily one wounded.
For its achievements with the advance still in the military hospital on 4 December 1941 the knight cross was lent to it, in addition it was promoted to captain. Only in April 1942 Tolsdorff returned again to the front and after few weeks before Leningrad was again wounded. In the summer 1942 it participated in the fights in the Wolchow and in the head was heavily wounded here. After the Ruecker to the front Tolsdorff was appointed on 1 January 1943 the major and took over the Ith battalion of the Fuesilier regiment 22 <../Gliederungen/Fusilier-Regimenter/FusReg22.htm >. For the achievements of its battalion with the defensive battles at the Ladogasee Tolsdorff was lent on 15 September 1943 oak leaves. In November 1943 Tolsdorff transferred then the guidance over the Fuessilier regiment 22. With the fights for the city Odessa fought to Tolsdorff again in the foremost ditches and received a belly shot, it it for many weeks in the military hospital brought again. On 1 April 1944 it was promoted then to lieutenant colonel and it was shifted to the Fahnenjunkerschule to Metz, in order to function there as teachers. But Tolsdorff bore the life at the school not for a long time, after only three days was it again on the way to the front, in order to take over its old regiment. In the summer 1944 Tolsdorff with its regiment defended the city Wilna and held the enclosed city, until she was frightened by German troops. For this achievement on 18 July 1944 the swords were lent to it. In addition it was promoted to Colonel. In August 1944 Tolsdorff was kommandiert on a division leader training course and received in the connection the command over 340. People infantry division <../Gliederungen/Volksgrenadierdivisionen/340VGD.htm >. The division used at the west front fought in the area Aachen and take afterwards to the Ardennenoffensive part. On 30 January 1945 Tolsdorff was promoted to major general and it succeeded to it to lead back its unit over the Rhine to Germany. For this defense on 18 March 1945 the Brillianten was lent to it. At the same time it was promoted as one of the youngest officers to lieutenant general and took over the guidance of the LXXXII. Army corps.
With end of war he came into war shank, from which he became to dismiss 1947. Altogether Tolsdorff had been wounded during the war fourteen ml. After the war Tolsdorff was placed because of a shooting under martial law of a deserter before a court, he was however acquitted, since the executed judgement corresponded to the martial law. Knight cross (4 December 1941) oak leaves (15 September 1943) swords (18 July 1944) Brillianten (18 March 1945)

Alp Guard

Post by Alp Guard » 10 Jul 2007 07:40

I don't think that he used the word "Fuchshöhle" ( foxhole) as this is a angloamerican military expression.

The Berchtesgaden scenes as well as the general's speech were filmed in Unterseen/Interlaken, Switzerland, by the way. The eagle's nest was on the Grimselpass in Switzerland. In some scenes you can discover the famous mountains Eiger and Jungfrau. :wink:

manfredzhang

Re: Band of Brothers/translation/help

Post by manfredzhang » 20 May 2021 03:11

Hey Guys. I o would like to ask if General Tolsdorff really spoke those words.

Ivan1987

Re: Band of Brothers/translation/help

Post by Ivan1987 » 20 May 2021 09:59

Well, as far as I can recall, the general is mentioned in Ambrose's book. The part in which he wishes to surrender to someone of a higher rank did really happen. The words? No idea. Perhaps it was just added for dramatical purposes.

Maybe someone else, who read some individual Easy Company memoirs can add something more to this. I also read the book written by Winters and I don't think he mentions the speech either.

Return to “Movies, games & other fiction”