Das Boot

Discussions on WW2 and pre-WW2 related movies, games, military art and other fiction.
Madsen

Post by Madsen » 02 Feb 2003, 21:24

I have to agree with Caldric.
I dont like the end either. i get sympati for the ship and its crew, they deserve better.
But a Great movie.

Lars EP

Post by Lars EP » 02 Feb 2003, 23:56

LILLEBROR wrote:I have to agree with Caldric.
I dont like the end either. i get sympati for the ship and its crew, they deserve better.
But a Great movie.
And who does not deserve better...? The poor -possibly Norwegian- sailors on the ships they torpedo?

Nobody deserves to die in stupid wars, fought by greedy powermongers and corrupt politicians, under the false flags of nationalism and patriotism.

Regards --- Lars

Madsen

Post by Madsen » 03 Feb 2003, 01:35

And who does not deserve better...? The poor -possibly Norwegian- sailors on the ships they torpedo?

Nobody deserves to die in stupid wars
Youre right Lars. that is why i got sympati for them. they fought against weather and enemy and just when they got back alive,they were killed.
Just thinking from my military time when we was in longer marches and came into camp again. Just when we thought we was finished, we had to take another round. that feeling is a bad feeling.

Sgt. Reese

Post by Sgt. Reese » 03 Feb 2003, 04:57

ANY soldier should be honored no matter on what side he is/was on.

although Soldiers that rape/steal/kill civilans should not be honor for he has not been a soldier. he is/was a man with a gun. fighting along the side of other men with guns or honorable soldiers.

Madsen

Post by Madsen » 03 Feb 2003, 17:12

And the sub was fighting a honourable war in my oppinion(a merchant ship wouldn't agree) but they was just as good as the allied bombers who lanched attacks on the german citys. It was thei way of fighting. they also lost nearly every man in the sub fleet. they fought against coastal command. destroyers, planes. All kind of ships try to sink them.

wenty

Post by wenty » 03 Feb 2003, 23:19

Yes, it said at the start that 30,000 out of 40,000 German U-Boat crews of WW2 never came home. I also thought the part where they spot a destroyer, dive, lose site of it in the periscope, and then when they see it again it is almost crahing into the U-Boat was VERY scary. Cheers. :)

Madsen

Post by Madsen » 04 Feb 2003, 00:33

That scene really show how difficult it was to sneak in on an convoy.
English ships had really good radar and asdic and could even (in good weather) pick up the radar ecco of a periscope.
the german sub fleet sure give their blood to their homeland .

vox stellarum

Post by vox stellarum » 16 Feb 2003, 18:49

Best WW2 film i've ever seen.

karltrowitz

Post by karltrowitz » 19 Feb 2003, 08:33

Yes, probably the best war movie made so far.

Madsen

Post by Madsen » 19 Feb 2003, 16:55

I've got this PC game called Silent HunterII. there you are commanding a german sub during WWII. its horrible how hard it is to get away from English destroyers. every time i play it i start thinking of DAS BOOT 8)

Jeff O

Post by Jeff O » 23 Feb 2003, 09:37

What's your favorite part in Das Boot? Mine is when they sing Its A Long Way To Tipperary vis zer German accents.

CHRISCHA

Post by CHRISCHA » 23 Feb 2003, 12:26

I think the ending is supposed to be ironic. As touched on before, the sailors braved the weather and were close to death on several occasions, but it was an air attack at port that killed them. I have to say, after watching the film some years ago, I drank Becks beer when I was out as shown in the film. This is not an anacronism, its been around for 250 years. I'm more into the military aspects of WW2, but this film has definately made a big impact on me.

Madsen

Post by Madsen » 23 Feb 2003, 13:14

hehe surfkorps. That is one of my favourite parts to. when everyone is singing ecsept the pro-nazi officer who is rather pissed off by the fact that they sing an English song. another funny part is when the reporter ask for permission to go up on the brigde and is half way up when someone shout ALARM. You then see a sailor running out from the toilet and everything happen very fast. when they got down under the Captainsaid it was only a test. the reporter looked rather nervous then :D

LeoAU

Post by LeoAU » 27 Feb 2003, 05:45

karltrowitz wrote:Yes, probably the best war movie made so far.
Hardly so. Out of 3 main parts of war - sea, land, air - sea war would be the least important, costly in terms of lives and material and intense. So, claiming that Das Boat is the best movie about naval warfare is more appropriate.
I don't see what can you learn about horrors of war from this movie, compare to say Private Ryan, or War and Peace, or German made Stalingrad or BoB. Compare to these movies, Das Boat looks poor.

Sgt. Reese

Post by Sgt. Reese » 27 Feb 2003, 08:24

I see where your coming from.

hows about we say "its the best WW2 naval movie"

best air, i'd say would be "battle of britan"

and land would be hard, you'd have to seperate those into smaller cats.

In my view the best GERMAN land movie would have to be "cross of iron"

Return to “Movies, games & other fiction”