Worst War Movies?

Discussions on WW2 and pre-WW2 related movies, games, military art and other fiction.
Matthew

Worst War Movies?

Post by Matthew » 17 Feb 2003, 01:43

What do you think is the worst War movie ever made? I would have to go with Kelly's Heroes, just thinking about that movie makes me sick.

dasboot

Post by dasboot » 17 Feb 2003, 03:02

Try this link. This topic already exists.

http://www.thirdreichforum.com/phpBB2/v ... hp?t=13534

Enter your vote here.

/Dasboot

Matthew

Post by Matthew » 17 Feb 2003, 03:50

I mean worst WAR movie as in not just WWII.

Penrose

Post by Penrose » 07 Mar 2003, 09:47

THE THIN RED LINE is the worst war movie ever. I think the director should go to jail and the writer be shot for this sorry excuse of a war movie!!

Sgt. Reese

Post by Sgt. Reese » 07 Mar 2003, 10:23

you gotta be in the mood to watch kelly's heros

but yeah Thin red line sucked.

and alot of vietnam movied sucked to many to count

Mike K.

Post by Mike K. » 07 Mar 2003, 10:48

Enemy at the Gates.

Horrible anti-climatic ending, and I like how they made the German sniper hang the Russian boy just to remind you who the bad guys are. :roll:

Dan Reinbold

Post by Dan Reinbold » 07 Mar 2003, 20:24

Kelly's Heros!?!?! Well it is not supposed to be a realistic WWII movie, but it is a great story. I am really surprised that you think it is the worst movie...how does it make you sick?? :?

My vote for worst movie...Pearl Harbor, too many historical inaccuracies to count.

Mike R

Post by Mike R » 08 Mar 2003, 02:24

I kinda liked Thin Red Line....

But yes, Pearl Harbor and Enemy atthe Gates were terrible!

Regards,
-Mike

Christian Ankerstjerne
Forum Staff

Post by Christian Ankerstjerne » 08 Mar 2003, 02:37

Kelly's Heroes is a great movie

I like most war movies, and most movies in general. If for nothing else, you can always laugh at them :P

Christian

CHRISCHA

Post by CHRISCHA » 08 Mar 2003, 14:23

The music to 'Kelly's Heroes' makes up for a lot, but I do think it is more of an entertainment movie than a historical account, in the same vain as the 'Dirty Dozen'. I would happily sit through either now. A film that does make me queasy is 'U571'. I refuse to watch it, but with this in mind, I still feel I can pick it. How can someone conciously take away the credit from the men who captured the Enigma machine, a major part of history, to provide entertainment for simple minded film goers? The fact that this film attempts to portray the false hood to be truth is disgusting. ( I am aware of the sentence at the end of the film explaining the film is in fact bollocks ). History perverted indeed, just to jump on the recent bandwagon of WW2 movies. At least other 'inaccurate' films such as 'Saving Private Ryan' ( which I like ) are an add on to real events, not re-writing them.

Korbius

Post by Korbius » 08 Mar 2003, 16:11

The big red one was a big dissapointment :D

Dennis Redler
In memoriam

Worst war movie

Post by Dennis Redler » 08 Mar 2003, 16:13

Pearl Harbor...I never saw a movie that would put me to sleep and startle me awake so many times that I gave up on it before it was over.
Enemy at the gates...It had so much promise at the start but just fell apart. I could write a story why I was so disappointed in this movie.
U-571.. The true story was far more interesting. And another movie that went out of it's way to show cruel Germans.
Thin Red Line...Stupid. Another movie I could write about.
Saving Private Ryan...Again, it showed so much promise at the start. Never believed anyone was a soldier let alone U.S. Army Rangers.
Kelly's Hero's is entertaining. I can watch Donald Sutherland and Telly Savalas over and over. They both have such great charachters. In fact , Telly Savalas later made a career acting like he did in this movie.
Speaking of Donald Sutherland, see him in "Eye of the Needle".
I like "Battleground" "Where Eagle's Dare"( I know, the Germans never had helicopters)" All Quiet on the Western Front" (Both Versions) "Patton".
Oh Well, I could go on and on. But it felt good to let off a little steam. :lol:

Psycho Mike

Post by Psycho Mike » 08 Mar 2003, 17:46

All the Rambo movies after the first one, which was pretty good.

Then the Chuck Norris movies where he goes back to Viet Nam to get the P.O.W.s that Sly Rocky Rambo left behind! :lol:

Never been a movie on the people we actually left behind, the South Vietnamese who believed in us, but neither the left or right cares about them..........

Christian Ankerstjerne
Forum Staff

Post by Christian Ankerstjerne » 08 Mar 2003, 18:21

CHRISCHA wrote:The music to 'Kelly's Heroes' makes up for a lot, but I do think it is more of an entertainment movie than a historical account, in the same vain as the 'Dirty Dozen'. I would happily sit through either now. A film that does make me queasy is 'U571'. I refuse to watch it, but with this in mind, I still feel I can pick it. How can someone conciously take away the credit from the men who captured the Enigma machine, a major part of history, to provide entertainment for simple minded film goers? The fact that this film attempts to portray the false hood to be truth is disgusting. ( I am aware of the sentence at the end of the film explaining the film is in fact bollocks ). History perverted indeed, just to jump on the recent bandwagon of WW2 movies. At least other 'inaccurate' films such as 'Saving Private Ryan' ( which I like ) are an add on to real events, not re-writing them.
These movies were never meant as historical accounts, but as funny movies with a degree of history and excitement.
I still find it interesting that both Kelly's Heroes and The Dirty Dozen have done more to get authentic-looking equipment than large movies such as 'The Battlte of the Bulge' or 'A Bridge too Far'

Christian

Aufklarung

Post by Aufklarung » 08 Mar 2003, 21:57

Kellys Heroes is a very entertaining war movie but by no means depicting anything specifically accurate. So what? I see movies for entertainment not historical accuracies. If I want true history I'll tune into a good documentary on TV or read a good book. 8)
I pretty much agree with all the above posts and will just say that the worst war movie I ever saw was Thin Red Line. Awful, just awful.
These days I rarely run out to the theatre but rather wait for the DVD to come out for rent. Saves $ and don't stand in line for a movie that is a real groaner.
In regards to "Pearl Harbour", it's the only war movie my wife likes other than "Purple Hearts". Go figure. :lol:
Regrds
A :)
Last edited by Aufklarung on 09 Mar 2003, 05:07, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Movies, games & other fiction”