Worst War Movies?

Discussions on WW2 and pre-WW2 related movies, games, military art and other fiction.
T.R.Searle

Post by T.R.Searle » 08 Mar 2003, 22:21

Korbius wrote:The big red one was a big dissapointment :D
I agree totally, I cant remember if that was the right one though. In it I think one part in a small mental insitution in the country a mental patient picks up an MP40 off a dead German where around and in the institution the Americans and Germans are fighting and he just shoots a load of them...also another part where a woman was giving birth in a tank :roll: .

I dont know if that was the right movie though.

T.R.Searle :)

Aufklarung

Post by Aufklarung » 08 Mar 2003, 22:35

TRS
That's the one. :lol:
Poussez, Poussez, Pussy.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Regards
A :)

Dennis Redler
In memoriam

Worst movie

Post by Dennis Redler » 09 Mar 2003, 14:12

Oh man, I forgot about the "Big Red One". I must have tried to block it from my memory. The scene where the Germans were laying an ambush. :lol: What a joke.
I thought of another GOOD movie though..."Decision Before Dawn" with Oskar Werner and Richard Basehart. Werner was a German turncoat who spys for the allies.With a cameo by another favorite actor of mine...Klaus Kinsky, and I love his daughter too. :wink:
Dennis :)

Korbius

Post by Korbius » 10 Mar 2003, 00:52

T.R.Searle wrote:I agree totally, I cant remember if that was the right one though. In it I think one part in a small mental insitution in the country a mental patient picks up an MP40 off a dead German where around and in the institution the Americans and Germans are fighting and he just shoots a load of them...also another part where a woman was giving birth in a tank :roll: .

I dont know if that was the right movie though.

T.R.Searle :)
Yeah, it is The Big Red One :D

Romulus

Post by Romulus » 10 Mar 2003, 03:19

battle of the bulge...just horrible

webtoy100

dont forget Harts War...

Post by webtoy100 » 10 Mar 2003, 04:36

if you want a good laugh, watch this - truly atrocious and boring

bruce willis (WTF?) plays POW colonel - dsspite being in a camp for a few years, he's somehow on double rations and is fat...

he looks so bored..... apparently his co-star Colin Farrell once advised him to get some sleep, as he had at least one line to learn for the next day's shooting.

yes agree with verdicts on recent stuff: enemy at the gates, pearl harbour - all deeply dissapointing, and made by people who clearly dont enjoy, or understand, good war movies

its a shame - had they been good, the studios would have had some more, instead of spiderman 3, superman 8 and their other rubbish.

Romulus

Post by Romulus » 10 Mar 2003, 05:09

ahhh yes the infamous hart's war...

Caldric

Post by Caldric » 10 Mar 2003, 09:15

Big Red One was a great movie. Just have no taste...

Korbius

Post by Korbius » 10 Mar 2003, 12:48

Caldric wrote:Big Red One was a great movie. Just have no taste...
Yeah Caldric, It was a great movie, but why did you like it? :D

K-218

Post by K-218 » 12 Mar 2003, 03:53

My list:
1.U-571, somebody should have shot the makers of this @$*^¨!!! movie!!
2.Pearl Harbour, the script, the actors... S.H.I.T.
3.SPR, story sucks deep and the caracters aren't wery original. The grave yard part was pathetic, I almost vomitted because of that!

BTW how can anyone say that the Thin Red Line is a bad movie?

Mike R

Post by Mike R » 12 Mar 2003, 09:06

I loved Thin Red Line. You've got the soldiers that are seemingly trapped in this beautiful paradise but want nothing more than to get away from it. I also loved how Nick Nolte's character is really the efficient military commander but is made out to be some sort of villain, whereas the "good guy" Captain Starros is too worried about casualties to effectively lead the company.

It certainly isnt a war movie in the sense that it is full of action sequence upon action sequence, however. You've got to do a little more thinking with this one.

Regards,
-Mike

Balamut

movie

Post by Balamut » 12 Mar 2003, 22:55

Will repeat myself once again.
I hate Anemy at the gates with all the fibres of my soul.

With respect.

CHRISCHA

Post by CHRISCHA » 13 Mar 2003, 12:18

I have been considering this thread a bit more lately. To sum up my feelings, I'm glad films are made of the WW2 (especially) and other periods for entertainment and it's a form of remberence, although I'm not niave enough to think this is why movie producers make them. I find it fustrating to see inaccurate films, be it a German soldier having the wrong haircut (SPR), or current armoured vehicles portrayed as Panthers. Both take away some of the viewing pleasures as I inwardly correct the mistakes rather than concerntrating on the film and I make mental notes of things I want to check later. When one mistake is identified I'm almost on the look out for more to mumble to myself about. I find it dispicable when films are made with little or no regard for historical accuracy, when the option to change history to make some money is employed. I find this a total disrespect to the vetrans and those killed in the setting portrayed. These are the films I wish were never produced. The likes of Kelly's heroes etc. are for entertainment, and in a way I would rather watch a film such as this that is quite tongue in cheek than a serious film that is unsuccesful at attempting to portray reality.

Sgt. Reese

Post by Sgt. Reese » 13 Mar 2003, 12:21

whats everyone's view on "to hell and back" and "hell is for heros"?

Trebissky

Post by Trebissky » 15 Mar 2003, 05:25

I've got TWO... sorta. "Raid On Rommel" and "Tobruk". They're both the same basic story, Brit commandos and German Jews (disguised as DAK) team up to take out the coastal guns, etc. at Tobruk. They both used about 80% of the same footage, too, except for closeups of the stars. One had George Peppard and Rock Hudson, the other had Richard Burton and I forget who played the head "German". The brits are all supposed to be POW's, in a convoy of trucks with a couple of halftracks.

The "best" part of the flicks was the scene where the star (either) and some of the others steal a "Tiger" ( M-48 ) tank, then use it to blow up the fuel depot. Except that when the tank gets TO the depot, it's magically become an M-41 instead. 8O
Last edited by Trebissky on 15 Mar 2003, 05:31, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Movies, games & other fiction”