Worst War Movies?

Discussions on WW2 and pre-WW2 related movies, games, military art and other fiction.
YankeeZulu

Re: Worst War Movies?

Post by YankeeZulu » 14 Aug 2015 09:21

Last edited by YankeeZulu on 14 Aug 2015 09:23, edited 1 time in total.
<1>

YankeeZulu

Post by YankeeZulu » 14 Aug 2015 09:21

AJFFM wrote:And the final Rambo movie wasn't bad, it was rather good overall.
Just as long as they never make another one....
I believe they are. "Last Blood."
<1>

PF

Post by PF » 14 Aug 2015 12:44

Actually the German propaganda ministry made a film of the storming of Eben Emael Fortress...if I'm not mistaken...

JAG13

Post by JAG13 » 15 Aug 2015 06:33

Phaing wrote:
AJFFM wrote:In terms of plot, Saving Private Ryan. Great realism (probably the most realist of all WWII films) but American superheroes ride again!

Well, we certainly can't have a movie that makes American's look good, can we? Might be accused of being racists or something. :roll:

You know, looking at this list, I have to wonder, has a GOOD war movie ever been made? By anyone?
Ever?
Besides A Bridge to Far, I mean.

My vote for the worst; Inglorious Basterds. They should have known better.
SPR was a sh!t sandwich, a piece of crap sandwiched between the two of the best battle sequences in history.

Most USian movies are not too far from GI Joe, the cartoon that is.
AJFFM wrote: Don't take it personally dude, all what I demanded is realism and American war films are notorious for have a lone gunman (Rambo) or a cut off rifle squad mowing down crack* X enemy divisions as if they were on a Turkey shoot as the American saying goes.
GI Joe...

...this is what most US movies look like:

Best movie ever btw...

PF

Post by PF » 15 Aug 2015 12:47

Nomineese for WWM
To be or not to be Botht the orginal {Which played out familier plot of good guys making evil occupiers look stupid} and the remake Which-in what is now know of the viscious of the Nazi occpiers--was in Very BAD TASTE

Red Dawn -the orginal dopey story of teenagers fighting the USSR invading USA and it even worse remake--orginally it was supposed to be mainland china that invades the USA__but the script was changed make the invaders as NORTH Koreans--not to offend the Chinese?

AJFFM

Post by AJFFM » 15 Aug 2015 19:48

PF wrote:Nomineese for WWM
To be or not to be Botht the orginal {Which played out familier plot of good guys making evil occupiers look stupid} and the remake Which-in what is now know of the viscious of the Nazi occpiers--was in Very BAD TASTE

Red Dawn -the orginal dopey story of teenagers fighting the USSR invading USA and it even worse remake--orginally it was supposed to be mainland china that invades the USA__but the script was changed make the invaders as NORTH Koreans--not to offend the Chinese?
I liked the remake better than the original (Red Dawn) largely because it had actors who can act. Nonetheless both are horrible especially the first one which I saw again roughly 20 year after I saw it for the first time (1993 when I was a child) and realised it was a political propaganda film the first time it was made.

durb

Post by durb » 08 Sep 2015 16:11

Has anyone seen this Japanese movie: "Eternal Zero" (Eien o no 0)?

Wiki and other web sources consider it controversial and according to wiki such authority as Hayako Miyazaki has rated it: a fictional war account that is a pack of lies - exactly the stuff of which the worst war movies are made of. Is it really that bad?

Any better movie suggestions about the Japanese combat pilots in WW2?

Fliegende Untertasse

Post by Fliegende Untertasse » 09 Sep 2015 11:08

durb wrote:Has anyone seen this Japanese movie: "Eternal Zero" (Eien o no 0)?
It is bit like "Mosquito squadron" with Zeros. Soap opera & air action all in one.

PF

Post by PF » 10 Sep 2015 00:55

Across the pacific starts out as a typical double spy movie-but the last half hour utterly unbeliveable...........!

LineDoggie

Post by LineDoggie » 11 Sep 2015 01:02

PF wrote:Across the pacific starts out as a typical double spy movie-but the last half hour utterly unbeliveable...........!
there s a reasonf ro that- John Huston was inducted into the service before the movie finished and took the script with him.
Vincent Sherman had to finish the movie and a new ending had to be written

Like Apocalypse now script has to be trashed when Coppola saw Marlon Brando the size of a water Buffalo and realized he could not film the end

Even still Across the Pacific is still not as bad as this-
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Fifth_Day_of_Peace

http://www.artistdirect.com/video/the-f ... eace/65204
"There are two kinds of people who are staying on this beach: those who are dead and those who are going to die. Now let’s get the hell out of here".
Col. George Taylor, 16th Infantry Regiment, Omaha Beach

PF

Post by PF » 11 Sep 2015 15:32

In regard tp Apocalypse NOw the story the move was based upon "Heart of Darkness" was set in belgium Congo; besides Brando was not the same guy he was in The Wild Ones or even Mutinty on the Bounty-hard to beleive that a Colonel of Two Wars of Hand to hand combat would let himself be killed --at the end! Oh well as long as their are wars there will be movie people cranking out home town version slop of war for the home grown audiences...!

PF

Post by PF » 11 Sep 2015 15:40

Just read the true story behind "The Fifth Day of Peace".....who was supposed to be in charge of POWS.....!!!?????

By the waySeen both version of "All Quiet on the Western Front"....the latter version with Richard Thomas and Ernest Borgnine was closer to the book....I also thought the ending of the latter version...should have gone this way....after Paul is shot...he falls down to the trench and the scense morp of his remains changing that well known picture into a German Skelaton lying in a trench for sudden shock/impact!!!

PF

Post by PF » 13 Jan 2016 01:48

Just saw the ending of James Cagney movie "Captains of the Clouds"
It had one good thing about it--it was in color!

PF

Post by PF » 22 Jan 2016 02:26

Return to “Movies, games & other fiction”