Worst War Movies?

Discussions on WW2 and pre-WW2 related movies, games, military art and other fiction.
Hans1906
Banned

Re: Worst War Movies?

Post by Hans1906 » 11 Apr 2022, 17:57

jbroshot,

as a fan of "Sam" Fuller, and Lee Marvin, I am of course a "fan" of the movie "The Big Red One".

Fuller's life story is fascinating, a hard bone, the man knew exactly what he wanted to bring to the big screen in later years, the man has my respect, without ifs and buts.

Samuel Fuller https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samuel_Fuller

The man was a cinematic genius, one of the greats of all time, please may he rest in peace forever.

Hans
Attachments
Fuller Samuel Sam.jpg
Fuller Samuel Sam.jpg (93.41 KiB) Viewed 2051 times
The paradise of the successful lends itself perfectly to a hell for the unsuccessful. (Bertold Brecht on Hollywood)

Ponury

Post by Ponury » 14 Apr 2022, 21:54

I wrote about it on our dws, a national forum about the Second World War. The film "For those I loved"

https://www.filmweb.pl/film/Dla+tych%2C ... 1983-36552

based on the memories of a certain Martin Gray (he died a few years ago). I called the guy "Treblinka superspy". His book and film are a load of rubbish. Gray writes that this is his biography, and it contains nothing but nonsense. The book sucks, and so is the film. Even the camp in Treblice totally confused how you go into the details. Like a hall within the gas chamber, gas, of course, a bathtub (!), Then pits for a corpse as if dug in the garden. Gray is once a member of the Sonderkomanndo, then selects things, then carries the corpse again, pulls out his teeth and all that crap. And even Stangl himself mentions that such a thing was impossible. The prisoner who carried out the job put it in the garbage, with the exception of the carpenter Wiernik. And that's it. Yeah, and then as if nothing happened, Gralewski-Gray ran away in his luggage ... they killed him and ran away.

And what next? The ghetto and the uprising as long as possible. Next - NKVD officer. Baloney! : mrgreen: Where is the fate of the Jews here? How many Jews from the ghetto ended up in the NKVD? A quick promotion, Gray was promoted faster in the NKVD than Jaruzelski in the Polish People's Army from the ensign in 1943 or Jaroszewicz ... lightning!

LAstry

Post by LAstry » 16 Apr 2022, 07:20

In 1959 the Twilght Zone "Judgement Night" of a certain callous U boat Captain....and a post World war II movie of the Allied Commandos helping th e Underground in Scandavnavia...THE TZ episode smacks more of US/UK World War II propaganda agasinst U boat war....One thing th u boat crewmen and the Underground both Use German Machine guns from..>World War I......never did get details right ,,even in fiction!!! :milwink: :lol: :lol:

VanillaNuns

Post by VanillaNuns » 19 Apr 2022, 01:55

I tried to watch "The Passage" (1979) a few weeks ago.

Great cast - Anthony Quinn, James Mason, Patricia Neal, Christopher Lee, Michael Lonsdale

Interesting plot - Anthony Quinn is paid to help fugitive scientist James Mason and his family escape from Vichy France over the mountains into Spain. Whilst being pursued by the Germans.

Terrible acting, especially Malcolm McDowell who plays a truly ridiculous pantomime Nazi villain. He even cooks whilst wearing his Iron Cross pinned nearly to his chef's apron.

Really bad. Give this one a miss. 👎 After 30 minutes, the whole movie becomes increasingly bizarre and stupid.

Hans1906
Banned

Post by Hans1906 » 25 Apr 2022, 15:20

Watched yesterday evening for the second time on the german TV:

Valkyrie (film 2008) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Valkyrie_(film)

What a waste of money, energy, and knowledge, two times is more than enough, to my "german" impression, the movie
is pure "Scheisse", sorry.

Cruise as Stauffenberg is a impertinence. (G: "Zumutung/Unverschämtheit")

Hans
Last edited by Hans1906 on 25 Apr 2022, 16:06, edited 1 time in total.
The paradise of the successful lends itself perfectly to a hell for the unsuccessful. (Bertold Brecht on Hollywood)

Totenkomf

Post by Totenkomf » 25 Apr 2022, 15:41

Hans1906 wrote:
25 Apr 2022, 15:20
the movie

Aren't you being bit too harsh on the movie, it was quite good, and based on true events+ the actors were also quite good.

8O
"Befehl ist Befehl"

VanillaNuns

Post by VanillaNuns » 25 Apr 2022, 15:48

I didn't have high expectations for "Valkyrie" either but I thought it was excellent and Tom Cruise plays the role well.

And I'm a movie snob... 😳

Hans1906
Banned

Post by Hans1906 » 25 Apr 2022, 17:02

Aren't you being bit too harsh on the movie, it was quite good, and based on true events+ the actors were also quite good.
The new film is "shit", in my german impression, falsified in many scenes, a movie, that can only produced in Germany, if at all...

Hans

Hans1906
Banned

Post by Hans1906 » 27 Apr 2022, 15:17

Compared to the 1955 version "Der 20. Juli" with the german actor Wolfgang Preiss as Stauffenberg, the new version with
Cruise is hollywood popcorn nonsense, not to be taken seriously.

Der 20. Juli (1955) https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Der_20._Juli

It is important to mention, that most of the actors in the german movie from 1955 were involved in the "system" before 1945.

This makes the difference between a Hollywood movie, and a german classic movie from the 1950s.

* Tom Cruise is not my interest, I liked a few earlier movies, like "Rain Man", but all this is long ago.
Attachments
preiss 1955 stauffenberg.jpg
preiss 1955 stauffenberg.jpg (9.79 KiB) Viewed 1881 times

Helly Angel

Post by Helly Angel » 29 Apr 2022, 03:53

Hans1906 wrote:
25 Apr 2022, 15:20
Watched yesterday evening for the second time on the german TV:

Valkyrie (film 2008) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Valkyrie_(film)

What a waste of money, energy, and knowledge, two times is more than enough, to my "german" impression, the movie

Cruise as Stauffenberg is a impertinence. (G: "Zumutung/Unverschämtheit")

Hans
Totally agree with Hans!

Cruise´s film is "Impossible Mission meets Der Untergang"... terrible!

Helly Angel

Post by Helly Angel » 29 Apr 2022, 07:04

Ponury wrote:
14 Apr 2022, 21:54
I wrote about it on our dws, a national forum about the Second World War. The film "For those I loved"

https://www.filmweb.pl/film/Dla+tych%2C ... 1983-36552

based on the memories of a certain Martin Gray (he died a few years ago). I called the guy "Treblinka superspy". His book and film are a load of rubbish. Gray writes that this is his biography, and it contains nothing but nonsense. The book sucks, and so is the film. Even the camp in Treblice totally confused how you go into the details. Like a hall within the gas chamber, gas, of course, a bathtub (!), Then pits for a corpse as if dug in the garden. Gray is once a member of the Sonderkomanndo, then selects things, then carries the corpse again, pulls out his teeth and all that crap. And even Stangl himself mentions that such a thing was impossible. The prisoner who carried out the job put it in the garbage, with the exception of the carpenter Wiernik. And that's it. Yeah, and then as if nothing happened, Gralewski-Gray ran away in his luggage ... they killed him and ran away.

And what next? The ghetto and the uprising as long as possible. Next - NKVD officer. Baloney! : mrgreen: Where is the fate of the Jews here? How many Jews from the ghetto ended up in the NKVD? A quick promotion, Gray was promoted faster in the NKVD than Jaruzelski in the Polish People's Army from the ensign in 1943 or Jaroszewicz ... lightning!
I read the book that was co-written by Max Gallo and I saw the complete series on television, it can even be seen on YouTube in parts. It seemed incredible to me, I thought that "this man was everywhere, even in the taking of the Reichstag!" I didn't give him credit. Many years ago, Gray had a TV interview and was unmasked by the interviewer. Gray said that he had been in a Russian Combat Unit and the interviewee had simultaneously a survivor of that Unit who denied his presence in that service. At the end of the interview, Gray was unmasked and ended by saying that "it should have been like that and someone had to tell it", it turns out that the whole story is false. He was not in any of the events, he falsified them, both the Warsaw ghetto, Treblinka, the Russian guerrillas, the fall of the Reichstag, etc. Sad.

Helly.

von thoma

Post by von thoma » 14 May 2022, 05:45

' The Last Days of Patton ' (1986), by Delbert Mann, is an ideal film to fall into a deep and rewarding sleep.
Attachments
Patton.jpg
Patton.jpg (29.18 KiB) Viewed 1777 times
" The right to believe is the right of those who don't know "

yantaylor

Post by yantaylor » 14 May 2022, 21:48

Is that the one which starts off with Patton already dead?
I saw one in the early 1990s which was about how he died, cant remember the title.

Ian

von thoma

Post by von thoma » 14 May 2022, 23:27

Yes, that movie is.
" The right to believe is the right of those who don't know "

Hans1906
Banned

Post by Hans1906 » 15 May 2022, 01:49

It was the 1986 american production "The Last Days of Patton".

Link(E) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Last_Days_of_Patton

Complete nonsense, not even mentioned in the German Wikipedia, which is otherwise pretty complete on the subject.

A pity for George C. Scott, who excelled in "Patton" (1970). :|

The movie:
The Last Days of Patton (1986)

Hans

Return to “Movies, games & other fiction”