Worst War Movies?

Discussions on WW2 and pre-WW2 related movies, games, military art and other fiction.
Mark in Cleveland, Tn.

Re: Worst War Movies?

Post by Mark in Cleveland, Tn. » 01 Jan 2023, 05:41

von thoma wrote:
01 Jan 2023, 05:25
I never liked this movie.....Only Belushi in the cockpit makes you laugh.
But this flick was made as satire and to pke fun of war movies,and agree, this flick is bad even for satare, does have a few good scenes and set ups though

Hans1906
Banned

Post by Hans1906 » 03 Jan 2023, 00:12

"Zulu" from the year 1964 was excellent, I cannot subscribe to the above opinion!

The stomping Zulu warriors with their wives, up to the last battle with a defeat of the British troops, an epic masterpiece.
The desperation in the face of superiority, the will to persevere, that was and is deeply impressive, for me a masterpiece of film history.

A final defeat has never been better filmed, the film was and is a milestone in the history of modern war films, without ifs and buts...

Zulu (1964)

I've seen the film many times, each additional time is an experience, terrific!
I like the message of the film, the anti-colonial chant, that's what this film was about..

Hans
The paradise of the successful lends itself perfectly to a hell for the unsuccessful. (Bertold Brecht on Hollywood)

Mark in Cleveland, Tn.

Post by Mark in Cleveland, Tn. » 03 Jan 2023, 01:17

I shall bow dowqn to your opinion as this is a free forum in which our views, which sometimes differ are wqelcome on these boards. However, I will stand by my opinion of thes e2 flicks, and of course respect your honorablke opinion

Hans1906
Banned

Post by Hans1906 » 03 Jan 2023, 01:54

Hi Mark,

everything is, as always, a question of personal taste, the many crowd scenes, the battles, they were just terrific, certainly not possible nowadays.

From today's point of view, a film that is no longer possible, and to see it like this, a contemporary document of the 1960s.
Everything has ifs and buts, this film is good, that will probably never change...

It's like the second film adaptation of "The Charge Of The Light Brigade", an attempt, but never the original from the late 1930s. :wink:

Hans
The paradise of the successful lends itself perfectly to a hell for the unsuccessful. (Bertold Brecht on Hollywood)

Ponury

Post by Ponury » 20 Mar 2023, 01:12

The mini-series "Holocaust" from 1978 was already? Theatrical, silly. SS men fluent English, and what. The culmination is the Warsaw Ghetto Uprising in 1943. Poles dressed in uniforms from 1939 enter the ghetto. Has director Marvin Chomsky gone mad? What is this nonsense?

LAstryAGAIN

Post by LAstryAGAIN » 21 Mar 2023, 22:40

I saw the series "Holocaust"....almost as bad As Mel Brooks "To Be Or Not to be" the only Book that could explained the depth of the Shoah Was Hilberg "The Destruction of the European Jews" in regard to Films.....Either "Vengence" On the Bilinski brothers Partisans....or "Escape from Sobibor".....

OpanaPointer
Financial supporter

Post by OpanaPointer » 22 Mar 2023, 01:15

Linkagain wrote:
28 Sep 2021, 14:40
Who was commander you speak of?

The Ace I mentioned was https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gabby_Gabreski

In regard to Empire of the Sun..all I ever saw was a preview while watching Hope and Glory....Empire of the Sun was a fictional novel of Ballard as a POW.....Well at least Not seeing it was no big loss for me...anyway :lol:
That would be the Cmdr. Taylor I mentioned. Not be confused with Lt. Kermit Tyler. Taylor's testimony is in the Congressional Hearings.
Come visit our sites:
hyperwarHyperwar
World War II Resources

Bellum se ipsum alet, mostly Doritos.

von thoma

Post by von thoma » 16 Apr 2023, 01:28

' USS Indianapolis ' ( Men of Courage ), by Mario Van Peebles, 2016.

A 'firecracker' movie
Attachments
USS-Indianapolis.jpg
" The right to believe is the right of those who don't know "

Mark in Cleveland, Tn.

Post by Mark in Cleveland, Tn. » 16 Apr 2023, 03:12

This flick is YUK forsure

Mark in Cleveland, Tn.

Post by Mark in Cleveland, Tn. » 16 Apr 2023, 03:15

The past 2 months I have had the chance to watch many of the so called *modern era* flicks..(Post The Battle of the Bulde) andam shocked how bad they are.. A Bridge Top Far..Flyboys, REdtails, and one I saw the so called Directors Cut..DAS BOOT.. IMO this flick isd way overratee, and quite p;issasery wacked out. Then there is WarHorse,

LineDoggie

Post by LineDoggie » 17 Apr 2023, 00:12

Flyboys sucked that was a waste of Jean Reno's talent

Redtails was ruined by the overboard CGI and cartoonish script and Germans, it was star wars with P-51's

I can't blame a Bridge too far for its modern vehicles because when it was made there wasn't a plethora of WW2 German Armor about. So how to depict a Panzer division without panzers?

I would add-

Windtalkers, the idea of a movie about the Navajo code talkers was ruined by making it about Nick Cage and every grenade detonating was a napalm strike

The Thin red line versions 1 and 2- 2 ruined the film with the Artsy wife behind drapes in the middle of a fire fight type garbage
"There are two kinds of people who are staying on this beach: those who are dead and those who are going to die. Now let’s get the hell out of here".
Col. George Taylor, 16th Infantry Regiment, Omaha Beach

ShindenKai

Post by ShindenKai » 17 Apr 2023, 07:40

von thoma wrote:
16 Apr 2023, 01:28

A 'firecracker' movie
It blows my mind that they have crews of people to make sure the actors look ok in the scenes and yet no one thought to adjust the F'N nose pads on Nick Cage's shades?! That it didn't bother him enough to: Fix it himself OR have someone do it, is even more nuts.

Asher S.

Post by Asher S. » 18 Apr 2023, 18:15

von thoma wrote:
16 Apr 2023, 01:28

A 'firecracker' movie
I second this. The Japanese sub shooting a super speed torpedo at Indianapolis and Nick Cage hamming it up had me laughing.

LAstryAGAIN

Post by LAstryAGAIN » 17 Jul 2023, 21:24

How about the so called comedy "The Producers" a swindler and a nebush accountent try the biggest con of all..oversell a play about A**** H***** 250,000 percent so it closes and flee with the money to South America...to their horror its actuually a Hit...
1) The theme isnt new in fact its a stock device...on movies and also TV {Perry MAson"The Case of the Unlucky Wildcatter and also :Remington Steele]
What I find is that this movie could have been a geniune comedy it only the Subject wasnt A***** H*****.
Just poor was the Mini-series "Holocaust" {Ironically ACtress Blanche Baker father was a Shoah survivor} but the theme of the 1933-1946 SHoah just cannot be expressed through 1 family suffering......Even worse than both of these Was a remake of "Two Be or Not to be" in which actors and actress {Polish in orginal; Jewish polish in remake} make nazis look like fools while they escape Warsaw......(The orginal was bad taste propaganda..the seond was just terrible}
Besides the "Diary of a Young Girl" which does tell what it was like In hiding.....
Only 2 movies.....tell it was like it was...
"Escape from Sobidor"
"Vengence" {Bienski Brothers partisans group}

Max

Post by Max » 18 Jul 2023, 00:43

LA****AG*** wrote: How about the so called comedy "The Producers"
A production featuring a character based on ADOLF HITLER is not necessarily a war movie.
Greetings from the Wide Brown.

Return to “Movies, games & other fiction”