"Landser" Magazine

Discussions on WW2 and pre-WW2 related movies, games, military art and other fiction.
panzerhan

"Landser" Magazine

Post by panzerhan » 20 Oct 2010, 16:04

Last year, when I was in Germany, I came across a magazine called "Landser" in several supermarkets and department stores. There were paintings of German infantry, planes, tanks etc. on the covers. Inside, there were no pictures, only text.
Is there anybody that knows something about this magazine? Because it looked like a publication which tells battle stories about German Army and this looked odd to me because of the sensitive militarism and World War II issuie in Germany.

nondescript handle

Re: "Landser" Magazine

Post by nondescript handle » 25 Oct 2010, 05:22

"Der Landser" is a pulp fiction series marketing their WW2 fiction as "true accounts." Their stories have a very white washed, romantic, and unhistorical view on the war.
Because of this and the personal continuity of the authors with the authors of Third Reich youth propaganda, they are generally viewed as Nazi apologists.

They are the last survivors of this type of literature that had its heyday in the 50s, before German society had really started to process the Nazi era in the late 60s.

HTH and regards
Mark

Jan-Hendrik

Post by Jan-Hendrik » 26 Oct 2010, 09:44

"Der Landser" is a pulp fiction series marketing their WW2 fiction as "true accounts
Not all....

As most of the issues were done by "industrial writes" like Franz Kurowski there were many one written by men who had experienced what the y wrote about, f.e. Helmut Schiebel, Georg Bose, Wilhelm Tieke....be aware that some wrote under synonyme :wink:

Jan-Hendrik

Richard Hargreaves

Post by Richard Hargreaves » 27 Oct 2010, 21:17

There used to be quite a few volumes of Landser floating around on the web as .pdf. Most of them are trashy Boy's Own-esque or Commando-style (minus the cartoons) tales of derring do and can go straight in the bin (unless that's your thing of course :) ) There are a few non-fiction nuggets among them - I think these are the Grossband ("big volume") editions (c.70-80 pages). You'll find some gems there, such as Gerd Stamp's Helbig Flyers.

panzerhan

Post by panzerhan » 28 Oct 2010, 09:42

Thank you so much to you all for your help..

Mischa

Post by Mischa » 28 Oct 2010, 15:59

Hello,
in my opinion two of the best!

Image Image
:milwink:

general g
Banned

Post by general g » 31 Oct 2010, 09:37

nondescript handle wrote:"Der Landser" is a pulp fiction series marketing their WW2 fiction as "true accounts." Their stories have a very white washed, romantic, and unhistorical view on the war.
Because of this and the personal continuity of the authors with the authors of Third Reich youth propaganda, they are generally viewed as Nazi apologists.

They are the last survivors of this type of literature that had its heyday in the 50s, before German society had really started to process the Nazi era in the late 60s.

HTH and regards
Mark
Very politically correct but massively untrue. 8O

general g
Banned

Post by general g » 31 Oct 2010, 09:40

general g
Banned

Post by general g » 31 Oct 2010, 09:41

Richard Hargreaves wrote:There used to be quite a few volumes of Landser floating around on the web as .pdf. Most of them are trashy Boy's Own-esque or Commando-style (minus the cartoons) tales of derring do and can go straight in the bin (unless that's your thing of course :) ) There are a few non-fiction nuggets among them - I think these are the Grossband ("big volume") editions (c.70-80 pages). You'll find some gems there, such as Gerd Stamp's Helbig Flyers.
What an exaggeration. 8O

Christoph Awender
Forum Staff

Post by Christoph Awender » 31 Oct 2010, 11:13

general g wrote:
nondescript handle wrote:"Der Landser" is a pulp fiction series marketing their WW2 fiction as "true accounts." Their stories have a very white washed, romantic, and unhistorical view on the war.

HTH and regards
Mark
generalg,

Are you really serious? You write many ridiculous posts but you can´t be serious that you believe what is written in a Landser magazine? So you think the stories in the Landser magazine are actual accounts??

Jan-Hendrik

Post by Jan-Hendrik » 31 Oct 2010, 12:14

Some are :wink:

I know a handful of its writers :idea:

Herzlichen Glückwunsch nachträglich :milsmile:

Jan-Hendrik

Christoph Awender
Forum Staff

Post by Christoph Awender » 31 Oct 2010, 16:37

Hello

Thanks.
Maybe the blue magazines as they are usually a mixture of published sources.
In the yellow magazines you have just "novels". Or do you have other experiences?

/Christoph

general g
Banned

Post by general g » 31 Oct 2010, 20:41

Christoph Awender wrote:
general g wrote:

HTH and regards
Mark
generalg,

Are you really serious? You write many ridiculous posts but you can´t be serious that you believe what is written in a Landser magazine? So you think the stories in the Landser magazine are actual accounts??
Der Landser is not fiction.It is military history presented in a vulgarised form.I do not look down on light reading.I own some volumes and will buy some more.

Richard Hargreaves

Post by Richard Hargreaves » 01 Nov 2010, 22:10

general g wrote:
Richard Hargreaves wrote:There used to be quite a few volumes of Landser floating around on the web as .pdf. Most of them are trashy Boy's Own-esque or Commando-style (minus the cartoons) tales of derring do and can go straight in the bin (unless that's your thing of course :) ) There are a few non-fiction nuggets among them - I think these are the Grossband ("big volume") editions (c.70-80 pages). You'll find some gems there, such as Gerd Stamp's Helbig Flyers.
What an exaggeration. 8O
8O I think 20 years' researching the Wehrmacht, a library of 3,000+ books, stints in archives across the world and god knows how many Erlebnisberichte in my collection make me a reasonably good judge of Landser editions.

Christoph Awender
Forum Staff

Post by Christoph Awender » 02 Nov 2010, 10:49

Richard Hargreaves wrote:8O I think 20 years' researching the Wehrmacht, a library of 3,000+ books, stints in archives across the world and god knows how many Erlebnisberichte in my collection make me a reasonably good judge of Landser editions.
Incorrect because you are politically correct and we can see the bias in our posts!! :wink:

Return to “Movies, games & other fiction”