Hart's War - Funny planes or what?

Discussions on WW2 and pre-WW2 related movies, games, military art and other fiction.
Mike R

Post by Mike R » 11 Apr 2003, 07:58

Victor wrote:The B-17 seems to be damaged, so flying lower could be explained this way.
Yeah there is that damaged B-17. But if you look very closely, at the beginning of that scene where the P-51 is chasing the Bf109, for about 1 second you can see a group of 8 or 9 B-17's in the background...these are the ones I'm curious about.

Thanks for pointing out the camp's location. I had no idea they were down by Augsburg!! :o :)

Regards,
-Mike

bobb5

Augsburg to Landsberg tunnel

Post by bobb5 » 25 Aug 2015, 01:55

I 1957 I had a missile tracking system (MSQ-1A) set up on the runway at Landsberg AFB. Less than 100 feet from our radar there was a long ramp leading down underground. The tunnel entrance was blocked by huge timbers. The entrance was 35 to 40 feet wide and close to 20 feet high. We were the last Americans to use the base as it was turned over to the Germans just after we left. The Germans had a radio repair group on the base that we used to repair our crummy UHF radios. The Germans knew about the tunnel and told me the story. (I spoke German). The tunnel went from the Messerschmitt factory in Augsburg to the flight line at Landsberg. It was supposed to contain all kinds of military equipment, including tanks and planes. It was also supposed to be mined. Planes were taken underground to Landsberg, where they installed the wings and flew them off to where they were needed. The flight line at Landsberg was huge, but I cannot find it on Google Earth. I made some inquiries several years ago and I got back a brochure indicating that some portions of the tunnel were being used for storage.

Return to “Movies, games & other fiction”