"Unsere Mütter, unsere Väter"

Discussions on WW2 and pre-WW2 related movies, games, military art and other fiction.
askropp
Forum Staff

"Unsere Mütter, unsere Väter"

Post by askropp » 16 Mar 2013 22:22

I don't know if this ZDF series has already been mentioned on AHF, but I would like to point out that this miniseries about five young Germans during World War II (the most expensive German television project ever, advertised as some kind of German "Band of Brothers" and accoladed by reviewers in all major newspapers and magazines) will be broadcast on ZDF on March 17, 18 and 20. The DVD version will be published on March 21.

http://umuv.zdf.de/Unsere-M%C3%BCtter-u ... 23848.html
Er ist wieder da. Aber auch dieses Mal wird er nicht siegen!

askropp
Forum Staff

Re: "Unsere Mütter, unsere Väter"

Post by askropp » 18 Mar 2013 22:38

For those interested in getting a picture of the movie themselves, I just noticed that all three parts of the miniseries can be watched online for seven days after the date of broadcast. You can find them in the "ZDF Mediathek":

http://www.zdf.de/ZDFmediathek/kanalueb ... ht/1825582

Just click on "Unsere Mütter, unsere Väter (Teil 1)" or "Teil 2" (both already online, should stay there until March 24/25) or "Teil 3" (will be online Wednesday, should be accessible until March 27).

Please note: Due to age restrictions and copyright issues, the films can only be watched between 20.00 hours and 06.00 hours CET and only "in Europe" (I guess that is from an European IP, so you may find a way around this restriction).

askropp
Forum Staff

Post by askropp » 21 Mar 2013 11:03

Now that all three parts have been broadcasted, I will add a short review a little later. For the moment, the first two parts have been uploaded to youtube (don't know how long they will stay there until ZDF claims its copyright):

http://www.youtube.com/user/SirCaptainK ... ture=watch

nickstarfield

Post by nickstarfield » 29 Mar 2013 07:57

I saw all three episodes. I finished the third yesterday. Each episode is 1:30 hours long. The production, the actors, everything about Unsere Mütter, unsere Väter was great. The story of the 5 German friends and how their lives changed between the years 1941-1945 is quite representative of all the things that we have read of the years. It was a pleasure seeing this as a German production, able to listen to German speaking characters making it so much real. The battle scenes where fascinating and in general it manages to travel you back in time. A must see!

Daimyo

Post by Daimyo » 30 Mar 2013 19:44

I watched the series on Youtube with English subtitles while it was available there. Really recommend it to everyone - great series that sucks you in. Also it's quite historically accurate - at least a lot more than your typical WWII movie.

Dan W.
Financial supporter

Post by Dan W. » 01 Apr 2013 04:29

If anyone knows where this series can be purchased on DVD, please post a link on this thread, as I would love to watch this. Nothing showed up on Amazon.com, and it may be awhile before this is available.

Richie B
Financial supporter

Post by Richie B » 01 Apr 2013 08:14

It is available on German Amazon - Region 2 DVD

http://www.amazon.de/Unsere-M%C3%BCtter ... 360&sr=8-1

General

Post by General » 01 Apr 2013 19:09

It's a very good mini series. I was surprised by it's quality.

Annelie

Post by Annelie » 01 Apr 2013 19:54

Youtube in Deutsch only.

Easy to download from there and download to iTunes.

Inselaffe

Post by Inselaffe » 01 Apr 2013 21:24

Just finished watching this in one go over the Bank Holiday. Brilliant. A few minor issues, but on the whole a very powerful and well put together drama. Historical details were, generally, very good - look at the end credits, they had some credible advisors.

The plot creaked a little at times under the strain of the coincidences, it was a bit 'Victorian novel' in places as a result but it was generally moving and gripping with some great acting. A slightly higher proportion of dissenters in the group than you might expect in reality? Yes, probably but that shouldn't detract from the general plausability. Well worth watching.

Cheers
"It was like Hungary being between Germany and the Soviet Union. What sort of choice was that? Which language would you like your firing squad to speak?" Tibor Fischer 'Under the Frog'.

Shc

Post by Shc » 24 Apr 2013 03:43

Hi,

I just finished watching the movie.
Does anyone know anything about the characters?

Are they real? or are they heavily based on a real life character? ... or do they just a symbolic representation of a population segment?

I thought the characters were completely fiction (but symbolizing segments of the population) but there is a date of birth-date of death ? ...which is confusing because I couldn't find anything about the characters on google.

Marcus

Post by Marcus » 27 Apr 2013 15:26

I've moved the whole discussion about the war crimes and white-washing claims to a thread of its own so it has a chance to develop: "Unsere Mütter, unsere Väter" white wash history

/Marcus

Lokanski

Post by Lokanski » 27 Apr 2013 15:30

Please don't remove information about official protests by nations that were to be exterminated by Germans regarding this propaganda move.

Marcus

Post by Marcus » 27 Apr 2013 15:34

Lokanski wrote:Please don't remove information about official protests by nations that were to be exterminated by Germans regarding this propaganda move.
It's not removed, as I wrote above those posts were moved to a new thread at http://forum.axishistory.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=198627

/Marcus

wm

Post by wm » 28 Apr 2013 14:49

A quite serious mistake in that film:
kopice.jpg
A train is transporting victims to Auschwitz, it's entering the village of Kopice in Poland.

But in fact Kopice was never part of modern Poland, but had been - till the year 1138.
In 1942 Kopice or more properly Schwarzengrund was deep inside Germany. In fact even Auschwitz was inside Germany.
There were no Polish partisan units inside Germany at that time, I'm not quite sure that there were ever any. Even in the GG partisan units were scarce at that time.
So the heroes couldn't have joined Polish partisans after escaping from that train to Auschwitz.
Well there were not even that many Poles there - they had been usually deported to the GG already.

And the distance is 170km - by car, but certainly not by rail or in straight line.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Movies, games & other fiction”