Has anyone here played Gary Grigsby's games?

Discussions on WW2 and pre-WW2 related movies, games, military art and other fiction.
GrossDeutschland

Has anyone here played Gary Grigsby's games?

Post by GrossDeutschland » 01 May 2002, 20:54

I've been playing both Pacific War and War in Russia. Though their presentation is antiquated, the games are great fun. Has anyone else here played any of them?

Also, G.G. designed a game Battle of Britain. I haven't played it, but maybe some of you folks have. If so, did you like it?

GD

Galahad

Re: GG's games

Post by Galahad » 02 May 2002, 17:24

I've not played his BofB game, only Pacific War and War in Russia. Both of which are wonderful. They are to computer games what the DNO series and SPI's War in Europe are to board games. If you are willing to put in the time to play either of them, you will have an amazing challenge.

Gwynn Compton

Post by Gwynn Compton » 03 May 2002, 05:00

GD, I love War in Russia, I have the Matrix Games edition and am constantly relaunching Barbarossa to try and take Moscow under historic conditions in 1941, but I can never make it, even though I'd secured Leningrad. Though I did manage to capture Moscow in 1943, only to loose it again in 1945, ending the game as a draw with a similiar front to that held by the German's during the winter of 41/42.

Gwynn Compton

Post by Gwynn Compton » 03 May 2002, 05:02

If you want I'll play a game against you sometime.

GrossDeutschland

Post by GrossDeutschland » 03 May 2002, 06:20

Gwynn
I'd be willing to play. Could you please explain how we'd go about doing so? I know there's an email option but I haven't really looked into the howtos of it.

Galahad - What exactly is DNO, and War in Europe?

GD

Juha Hujanen

War In Russia

Post by Juha Hujanen » 03 May 2002, 15:59

Thanks for the reminder.I used to play War In Russia a million years ago with 486.Have to try Matrix edition and unleash the panzers to east again :D

Galahad

Re; Drang Nach Osten & War In Europe

Post by Galahad » 03 May 2002, 19:15

GrossDeutschland.....They're board games, technically conflict simulations. WIE was published by the old Simulations Publications, Inc and the DNO series by Games Design Workshop originally.
WIE is a division level strategic simulation of all of WW 2 in Europe, with operations being at the operational level. The time scale was 1 turn per week, and the game had provision for going till the end of 1946 if you had the determination and the stamina, and if your wife didn't file for divorce. <g>
I forget the map scale (miles per hex)but I think its around 25 per hex; the entire map covered about 52 square feet of area and the game has something like 3000 counters, plus a bunch of charts and tables, and around 150 or so pages of smallprint rules. Covers the land war in detail, and has a good air war and naval war component.
DNO is similiar, but went into even more detail. It's called the Europa series. The first release in it covered Operation Barbarossa; title was Drang Nach Osten. Each of its campaign modules covered one sector of the war in Europe; there were ones on Norway, France '40, Greece and the Balkans, the war In Russia after 1941, North Africa, and the Spanish Civil War--as well as a possible German campaign in Spain. You could play them as individual campaigns, or assemble the whole thing and play the whole war.
I THINK the DNO series is still in print. The rights were bought and the titles in the series were re-released in a prettier format, with various modifications and improvements.
SPI also did a sim on the Pacific war at this scale (War in the Pacific) shortly before it went bankrupt. A mint copy of that game would run you at least $1000 today.
If DNO is still in print, figure to pay around $100 to $150 per campaign module. You can get either of them through the collector's places, but used old-printing copies will probably cost even more.

GrossDeutschland

Post by GrossDeutschland » 03 May 2002, 21:57

Galahad

Thanks for the background.

GD

Return to “Movies, games & other fiction”