Band of Brothers, episode 5.

Discussions on WW2 and pre-WW2 related movies, games, military art and other fiction.
Sgt. Reese

Post by Sgt. Reese » 27 May 2003, 04:28

"12th was very good."

hitler youth?? They sucked

or maybe i'm think of the SA panzer div. (18th Horst Wessel?) :roll:

Caldric

Post by Caldric » 27 May 2003, 06:57

Sgt. Reese wrote:"12th was very good."

hitler youth?? They sucked

or maybe i'm think of the SA panzer div. (18th Horst Wessel?) :roll:
Ok they all sucked, they all were elite. That should cover it.

Sgt. Reese

Post by Sgt. Reese » 27 May 2003, 07:07

thats says everything.

VirtueDecayed

Post by VirtueDecayed » 13 Aug 2003, 19:58

I know I'm a bit late.. but on that same episode, about say 2mins later... one SS soldier claims to be a Pole and a US soldier says "there are no Poles in the SS!!"... There were 5,000.

weebobster

Post by weebobster » 13 Aug 2003, 22:08

During my infantry training (Royal Mil Academy,Sandhurst)(Warminister - School of Infantry) I was taught that an important priciple of war is "suprise". Winters appears to have taken command of a tactical situation which presented itself when the W/SS Company was "suprised" by his presence. I feel the BOB footage potrays this fairly accurately because it does not set out to allege that Winters had intended a single handed daring attack on a WSS Coy. Winters tactically exploited the susprise and associated confusion to inflict disproportionate casualties upon the defending Germans. Again the book more accurately depicts the chronolgy of the event and I find it completely plauible given the fog of battle and the shock Winters presence must have had upon the Company. My issue regarding the tactical deployment of the defending troops is how did Winters get so close in the first place (where on earth was the defensive perimiter/sentries??). From memory, the WSS troops had just been brought over that night for a dawn assault on the American position.

CHRISCHA

Post by CHRISCHA » 13 Aug 2003, 23:18

Could the answer to the lack of sentries be they were quietly knifed by Winter's troops and it was omited from the programme?

To much of an assumption though I suppose.

jacobstuart

Re:

Post by jacobstuart » 02 Feb 2016, 10:27

Sgt. Reese wrote:P.S. My guess on where the Germans where from would be the 9th or 10th SS Division.

were they that bad?

yeah read the book

yeah look the details explanation of BoB by yourself. The Episode 5 doesn't EVEN LOOK LIKE the description itself. Lol. And might take notice, neither u.s. nor german sources have identified those 2 SS companies belongs to the 9 or 10th SS division. There were many SS troops gathering in Holland at that time actually, but most of them were nothing but scrap, except the 9 and 10th SS.

http://www.worldwar2history.info/Band-o ... mpany.html

Return to “Movies, games & other fiction”