"Alone in Berlin"

Discussions on WW2 and pre-WW2 related movies, games, military art and other fiction.
jeffhan373

"Alone in Berlin"

Post by jeffhan373 » 04 Jan 2018 16:37

I had never heard of this film until I stumbled on it on Showtime yesterday. I think it's very well done.

Set in Berlin from 1940 to 1943, it's the story of a man and woman who lose their only child, a son, in France in 1940. They decide to oppose the regime, and distribute handwritten cards attacking Hitler and his government all over Berlin for the next three years. You know what the outcome will be, but the actors' (Brendan Gleeson, Emma Thompson) strong performances keep you hooked anyway. It's based on the story of a real couple who were executed in 1943 for doing this.

I have to say, the attention to detail is exceptional. I didn't see anything wrong on any of the many uniforms. At the People's Court scene, the judge (Freisler?) wears the red robe, while the assistant judge wears a black one. The opening scene in Berlin takes place on the day of the French-German armistice in 1940; a guy is seen to be reading the VB - and it's the correct issue for that date! Anyone who pays that much attention to what is basically a throwaway prop gets total respect.

Well worth seeing, check it out!

Waleed Y. Majeed

Re: "Alone in Berlin"

Post by Waleed Y. Majeed » 04 Jan 2018 17:04

Hello Jeff. I have not yet seen this film but knowing who wrote the screenplay I would think it's good. Achim von Borris also wrote and directed "4 Days in May" 2011 and wrote the comedy "Goodbye Lenin" 2003 which I saw some time ago. Somewhat sad and pretty funny too seeing how the son hides the truth about the fall of the DDR from his mother. Worth seeing!

waleed

jeffhan373

Re: "Alone in Berlin"

Post by jeffhan373 » 06 Jan 2018 00:23

Hello Waleed - I've seen "Goodbye Lenin" too. I liked it...but I liked "Alone in Berlin" a lot more! Check it out....

Return to “Movies, games & other fiction”