Foreign films on the war

Discussions on WW2 and pre-WW2 related movies, games, military art and other fiction.
Gewitter

Foreign films on the war

Post by Gewitter » 29 May 2003, 02:44

What are some of the films from other countries covering the European theatre? here is a start

tuntematon sotilas
talvisota
Die brücke

ah man...i'm stuck
btw, if there is already a thread on this I have not found it

Timo

Post by Timo » 29 May 2003, 04:20

- Stalingrad
- Das Boot
- Kinder, Mütter und ein General
- Der Stern von Afrika
- Hunde, wollt ihr ewig leben
- Idi i smotri (Come and See)

Just some that I can think of.

Do you mean combat movies, or also resistance, Shoa, etc.?

Yevgeniy B.

answer

Post by Yevgeniy B. » 29 May 2003, 05:11

there are a lot of Great Russian movies about WW2.

but people don't like to transalte them. And the title could be translated different ways.

One movie I kinda liked was. "ZVEZDA" "THE STAR" in translation. it had english subtitles, so my friends were watching it with me.

The movie is about scouts, who were trying to scout German train station where Tanks were coming in.

Great Movie hard to find.

Yevg

Gewitter

Post by Gewitter » 29 May 2003, 05:15

Any movie covering all aspect of the war. Was there not one from Italy just recently?

Billy Bishop

Post by Billy Bishop » 29 May 2003, 18:12

Papa something...

I really want to see it. It is about the last years of Josef Mengele in South America.

I'll check http://www.imdb.com

Billy Bishop

Post by Billy Bishop » 29 May 2003, 18:14

Found it!

http://us.imdb.com/Title?0293495

Charlton Heston plays Josef.

Juha Tompuri
Forum Staff

Post by Juha Tompuri » 29 May 2003, 22:48

Gewitter,

I found this one. Hope it helps :)
http://www.facets.org/asticat?function= ... /filmlists

Regards, Juha

P.S. Timo, thanks for reminding about the Hans Joachim Marseille film. A Great one. Did you like these: http://ihffilm.com/0815.html . Gewitter, the other films might interest you too.

Harri

Post by Harri » 29 May 2003, 23:49

Has someone already mentioned the movie "Rukajärven tie" [The Road of Rukajärvi], named "Ambush" in English?

----

Yes, that H.-J. Marseille film was seen a few years ago in Finnish TV and it was very good. Especially the flying scenes were extraordinarily done.

What about the German movie trilogy about German soldiers at WW II? It was named something like "10/18" or so. The first part is about the training of troops in 1939, the second in East Front in 1942 and the third from the last phases of Western Front campaign in 1945. I recorded two latter parts about ten years ago (just wonder where the cassettes are?) but missed the first one which was the best.

Gewitter

Post by Gewitter » 30 May 2003, 02:13

Thanks guys keep the titles coming and that one site is really great! I was thinking about the recent Italian film depicting the battles for North Africa...

melbar16

Come and See?...

Post by melbar16 » 31 May 2003, 19:48

Timo!

Never seen the Star of Afrika. Can you tell me anything about who made the film and how accurate where the aircraft used etc?

Also, i remember several years ago my brother mentioning to me about the film Come and See, that was about all he told me about it though!
Where was this film set and, as above, how was it for accuracy, uniforms etc?
Was it in colour?What year is it? Hard to get now i imagine?...

Regards

Douglas

Timo

Post by Timo » 31 May 2003, 20:06

People with a weak stomach should avoid this movie. "Come and See" is bizarre, disturbing, and haunting. It starts off very surreal, and it is difficult at some points to understand what is going on or what certain characters are doing. This gives the theme a foreign and realistic feel. We follow the life of a peasant boy in Byleorussia in 1943, as he joins the partisans. Then the nightmare begins. The destruction of a Russian village is the horrific centerpiece of the story. It is brutally realistic, with more tracking shots that hold for long periods of time without cutting. We see the German Wehrmacht burn a barn loaded with civilians to the ground as these soldiers clap, smile, and embrace each other. The images are unforgettable, and will stay with you long after you've seen the film.

Juha Tompuri
Forum Staff

Post by Juha Tompuri » 31 May 2003, 22:33

Harri wrote: What about the German movie trilogy about German soldiers at WW II? It was named something like "10/18" or so. The first part is about the training of troops in 1939, the second in East Front in 1942 and the third from the last phases of Western Front campaign in 1945. I recorded two latter parts about ten years ago (just wonder where the cassettes are?) but missed the first one which was the best.
Harri,

You might have an answer at my previous post (link 2/2)
As a movie I preferred the 2nd one, but the original book (about pre-war) is a good one.

Regards, Juha

Harri

Post by Harri » 31 May 2003, 22:56

That's what I meant! Thanks! And the name was very much like I wrote. :? I should have seen all the links... :oops:

I found my cassette too! :D

These films are a kind of satires about a men of a field artillery unit which show the biggest a**holes of the Wehrmacht (and SD). But there are also other kind of soldiers. Anyway they are quite realistic and among the best German movies about German soldiers I have seen (Das Boot (U 96) is my favourite). They are really worth watching.

There was a discussion a few weeks ago about German close-combat training and if I remember correctly part I contains lots of scenes of German training methods in good and in bad.

Juha Tompuri
Forum Staff

Post by Juha Tompuri » 31 May 2003, 23:24

Harri,

First watch the 2nd movie again, then check this link: http://www.thirdreichforum.com/viewtopi ... ht=#163723 :)

Regards, Juha

melbar16

Come and see

Post by melbar16 » 31 May 2003, 23:24

Timo,
I think i may have seen it.
Not sure if i'm thinking of the same film. A couple of scenes that spring to mind:
When the kid joined the partisans, he had to give his good boots to one of the older more experienced men who was going on patrol.
There is a scene with a German motorcycle crew who carry a naked executed partisan with a sign on him on the sidecar.
While the barn is being burned there is one German soldier screaming with glee as he fires his MG42,hand held, into the burning barn.

Am i thinking of the same film?

Is Star of Afrika worth buying?...

Return to “Movies, games & other fiction”