The Odessa File (1974)

Discussions on WW2 and pre-WW2 related movies, games, military art and other fiction.
DavidFrankenberg

The Odessa File (1974)

Post by DavidFrankenberg » 16 Apr 2018 21:36

What about the historical accuracy of this movie ?

It depicts a certain SS Captain Roschmann, particularly cruel and sadistic who not only shot at jews but also at decorated wehrmacht officers in front of everyone...

von thoma

Re: The Odessa File (1974)

Post by von thoma » 17 Apr 2018 22:24

Frederick Forsyth overplay the role of Eduard Roschmann to give emotion to his novel.
At the time of writing this novel, Roschmann was a famous SS fugitive wanted and hidden in South
America. I don't believe he could killed any army
officer as they show in the movie. :roll:
" The right to believe is the right of those who don't know "

DavidFrankenberg

Post by DavidFrankenberg » 18 Apr 2018 21:38

This scene surprised me very much. Killing a decorated officer in front of his men is very hard ot imagine... even from a SS officer seen as the incarnation of evil... SS was not wehrmacht, Wehrmacht was not SS, but they could not shoot at the other like that (!). It seems to me completely wrong. I am surprised to see such fantasy in a movie dealing with historical facts. Maybe Roschmann was no angel (for sure), but there is no need to invent facts.

Do we have any proof that any SS officer ever shoot at a decorated Wehrmacht officer ?

Wellgunde

Post by Wellgunde » 23 Apr 2018 06:12

The movie is fiction and is based on a novel. There are no "facts" in a work of fiction. Everything is presented for dramatic purposes with the ultimate goal of entertainment. You are barking up the wrong tree if you are looking for historical truth in the movies.
γνώθι σαυτόν

DavidFrankenberg

Post by DavidFrankenberg » 23 Apr 2018 18:16

Wellgunde wrote:The movie is fiction and is based on a novel. There are no "facts" in a work of fiction. Everything is presented for dramatic purposes with the ultimate goal of entertainment. You are barking up the wrong tree if you are looking for historical truth in the movies.
Maybe it is also distorted by political biases ?
For example, The Odessa File is not aboslutely fictional : it deals with historical personnages like Roschmann and others. Movies (and series) are today pretty unavoidable. It is always interesting to wonder in what extent they are right or wrong.
You cannot find one movie (or even one book) 100% right/accurate.

Bertill622

Post by Bertill622 » 24 Apr 2018 17:45

In my opinion the book and the movie are fiction. I have them both, among others from Frederick Forsyth.
The story includes historical elements of that particular timeframe. During a earlier period the author was a reporter
working abroad, sometimes in conflict area's. Elements of those events are part of the synopsis in his books.
Another example is "The day of the jackal", or "Dogs of war".
I really like his books, some more and some less.
But for pure factional research or reference I would not use them.

Best regards,
Bertill.

Return to “Movies, games & other fiction”