WHERE WAS ‘THE PIANIST’ FILMED

Discussions on WW2 and pre-WW2 related movies, games, military art and other fiction.
Maksym Chornyi

Post by Maksym Chornyi » 30 May 2020, 20:13

I am glad to continue my WARSAW series of articles and this week I want to share with new a detailed historical journey. As far as the ‘Schindler’s List’ in Krakow, I have visited and researched all main filming locations of ‘THE PIANIST’ movie by Roman Polanski. Scene-by scene reading journey across the streets of Warsaw with dozens of photos, comparisons, a map with marking for your own trip.

As always, I hold out hope for the fact, that the article would be meaningful and interesting for you to invest time in reading. I would greatly appreciate your feedback, comments in particular.

https://war-documentary.info/where-was- ... st-filmed/

history1
Banned

Re: WHERE WAS ‘THE PIANIST’ FILMED

Post by history1 » 03 Jun 2020, 17:30

"Despite the mass emigration of the German Jews leaving the Third Reich "

Mass emigration? How many and where to did they emigrate? The USA didn´t welcome them, the UK neither and the Soviet border guards near Minsk killed deported Jews from Germany/Austrian/the Protectorat Bohemia & Morawa right there, or handed them over to the NKVD were they did wait in Soviet prisons onto their show trial to be shot as alleged spies or to become deported to GULAG-camps for no return.

history1
Banned

Post by history1 » 03 Jun 2020, 17:33

"his family to Warsaw, a city distanced more from the border with the aggressor. Had looked enough at the horrors of the air raids, the Polanski family made their way back to Krakow,..."

I think when you use the English name for the Polish city Warszawa you should also use the English name for the city Kraków, namely Cracow. Wouldn´t that make sense, Maksym?

history1
Banned

Post by history1 » 03 Jun 2020, 17:48

"In the teeth of temporal return to school and generally ‘normal’, yet constrained existence, Roman was now an eyewitness of a man-made dehumanization of the Jewish population at the hands of the occupational forces."

I wonder why you do not mention the anti-Jewish regulations (laws?) in pre-WWII Poland installed by the Polish authorities in 1937, the year the Polanski´s did return to Poland?
The Polish parliament then drafted anti-Jewish legislation similar to anti-Jewish laws in Germany, Hungary, and Romania. OZON advocated mass emigration of Jews from Poland, boycott of Jews, numerus clausus (see also Ghetto benches), and other limitation on Jewish rights. According to William W. Hagen by 1939, prior to the war, Polish Jews were threatened with conditions similar to those in Nazi Germany.[4]
Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anti-Jewish_laws#Poland

wm

Post by wm » 07 Jun 2020, 17:59

"The Polish parliament " statement is ignorant nonsense, based on post-war Stalinist propaganda (the later Soviets were saner.)

Mathil92

Post by Mathil92 » 08 Jun 2020, 08:31

The worst Holocaust movie i've ever seen

history1
Banned

Post by history1 » 08 Jun 2020, 08:38

Mathil92 wrote:
08 Jun 2020, 08:31
The worst Holocaust movie i've ever seen
Can you explain in which way it´s "the worst" in your opinion?
Or do you mean the most realistic?

wm

Post by wm » 08 Jun 2020, 09:35

Thou shalt not learn history from Hollywood movies.

Hans1906
Banned

Post by Hans1906 » 08 Jun 2020, 18:32

Good evening Maksym Chornyi,

thank you very much for your effort, working and creating this very interesting website.
Excellent!

For several reasons, I am a fan of Roman Polanski, and his movies, a genius in my impression.
Polanski as a private person, I am not allowed to judge about him, whatever happend in his earlier life.

And I am somewhat sorry for Polanski, he is still a genious in the history of modern cinema,
I am sorry for his fate.

Hans1906
The paradise of the successful lends itself perfectly to a hell for the unsuccessful. (Bertold Brecht on Hollywood)

Return to “Movies, games & other fiction”