Rottet die Bestien aus! (4 Part Documentary) Arte

Discussions on WW2 and pre-WW2 related movies, games, military art and other fiction.
Hans1906
Banned

Rottet die Bestien aus! (4 Part Documentary) Arte

Post by Hans1906 » 01 Feb 2022, 19:02

Tonight at 20:15 the TV channel Arte broadcasts the 4 Part Documentary "Rottet die Bestien aus!"
From the extermination of the native American population to the slave trade to the Holocaust: a film essay by Raoul Peck ("I Am Not Your Negro"), across 600 years of history, a journey into the heart of darkness. Personal, fast-paced, evocative. Part one: civilization, colonization, annihilation. Of the inner connections of tragic colonial history...
Source and Link: https://www.arte.tv/de/videos/095727-00 ... n-aus-1-4/

Arte Overview: https://www.arte.tv/de/videos/RC-022134 ... stien-aus/

Exterminate All the Brutes (2021 film) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Extermina ... 2021_film)

Hans
The paradise of the successful lends itself perfectly to a hell for the unsuccessful. (Bertold Brecht on Hollywood)

Loïc

Re: Exterminez toutes ces brutes

Post by Loïc » 26 Feb 2022, 14:37

seen yesterday...well only the 3rd part (subtitle Tuer à distance about the European military advance technology to dominate the "others" with a lot of details about weapons and guns
not sure I will see the others parts after that

abused by all the positive comments around this documentary everywhere, I should have been wary by a such politically correct unanimism, or l'esprit critique and the objectivity have definitively capitulated I don't see others explanations

nothing more than manichean until to last degree of caricature, basically racially and racist anti-european anti-white for everything, the History in black in white something like the woke inculture style made in USA mixed curiously with his own personal details of his life in Belgian Congo or Paris or United States or in the Scouts (??)
rambling and disorganized biased documentary, sorry but even the way to place your voice is unpleasant as narrator Mister Peck

funny to begin by Omdurman 1898 for your racial demonstration in this 3rd part
but for the Conquest of Sudan Monsieur Peck has never heard that with the dreadful racists white-european-British there were also the EGYPTIAN Army of the EGYPTIAN state with EGYPTIAN SUDANESE soldiers, so why forget all these african muslims from an african army of an african state against others africans

I can assure you that them also were very well armed by last modern French Belgian US (Remington) weapons at such point that the Egyptian Army had a very good fame for that until in the white-Europe

the Ashantis? Oh yes the poors Ashantis victims of the white British Victorian colonialism of course
but curiously as Haitian Mister Peck with an hemiplegic historical view never heard that the Ashantis are very famous and recognized to have built an rich and powerfull Empire from Slave Trade? Not a single word about that neither...

the Leopold's Independant State the next/former Belgian Congo?
the "spirit" of Peck's hemiplegic documentary recalls me this ridiculous hollywood movie with Tarzan in 2016 that I would suggest as better title "Tarzan against the Belgians" where the US producers imagine the Congolese State Public Force oppresing the congolese as a bunch of white mercenaries very well armed with guns with only few passive black auxiliaries curiously poorly armed with javelins while the crual historical truth obliges to remember they were basically 10 000 very active black mercenaries armed with guns and machine-guns killing and cutting the hands of their black brothers with only few european cadres

note 3/20

:roll: :roll: :roll:

Felix C

Re: Rottet die Bestien aus! (4 Part Documentary) Arte

Post by Felix C » 27 Feb 2022, 00:51

It was awful. Amateuristic. Unfactual. The worst type of historical presentation. Good graphics.

gebhk

Re: Rottet die Bestien aus! (4 Part Documentary) Arte

Post by gebhk » 27 Feb 2022, 10:33

Yep, agree.

Sadly just as cooperation and a desire for peace has been with humanity (and indeed all social organisams) since the dawn of time, so has conflict, subjugation, slavery and genocide. To suggest that this is the prerogative of Europeans/Whites is frankly ludicrous and for anyone with pretentions of being a historian, beyond ludicrous. It is just that for arelatively short period of time, the Europeans were the 'best' at it - merely because they had industrialised first. Undoubtedly, the application of industrial techniques and technology to the business of subjugation and genocide has led to truly horrific results and (particularly in conjunction with the growth of the human population) on a hitherto unmatched absolute scale. It can hardly be a coincidence that by and large the most advanced civilisation, technology and organisation was associated throughout history with the greatest bloodshed which, I would suggest, is why well over half the 10 bloodiest genocidal wars in history, in absolute terms, occured in the Far East. On a per capita basis, the Lushan rebellion almost certainly dwarfs WW2, even if we ignore, as many Western histrians do, that around a third of the civilian casualties of WW2 were from China. However, as with all such advances, other parts of the world learn fast and probably the deadliest genocidal conflict since WW2 has been in Africa.

I can't help feeling that the sort of view of hiostory presented here by Arte is, at its heart, profoundly racist because it simply ignores (deliberately or through shear ignorance) the history of the non-white and vast majority of the world's population.

Return to “Movies, games & other fiction”