Arte: "Lili Marleen" G/1981

Discussions on WW2 and pre-WW2 related movies, games, military art and other fiction.
Hans1906
Banned

Arte: "Lili Marleen" G/1981

Post by Hans1906 » 20 Jun 2022, 12:53

Tonight on Arte:

"Lili Marleen", Germany, 1981
A few years before the outbreak of the Second World War, Robert, who comes from a middle-class Jewish family, and Willie, a German bar singer, fall in love. But Robert's family is against the connection. - Rainer Werner Fassbinder's film (1981) is a melodrama that shows how political corruption penetrates private life in times of war. With Hanna Schygulla.
Zurich, 1938: The love between the German bar singer Willie Bunterberg and Robert Mendelsohn, the son of wealthy Jewish parents, is ill-fated from the start. The persecution of the Jews in Germany is becoming more and more terrible and there is a war atmosphere everywhere.
Robert's father is also against the relationship between the two and ensures that Willie is deported to their home country. In Germany, her song "Lili Marleen" was broadcast on the radio and became an instant hit. Willie became a star overnight. While she was increasingly involved in Nazi propaganda campaigns, Robert was arrested by the Gestapo. With secret documents about extermination camps , which Willie smuggles out of Poland, she now tries to save Robert's life.
Source and link: https://www.arte.tv/de/videos/026951-00 ... i-marleen/

Dame Lale Andersen, the true story behind the movie: https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lale_Andersen

LALE ANDERSEN, "Lili Marleen" (1938)

Hans
The paradise of the successful lends itself perfectly to a hell for the unsuccessful. (Bertold Brecht on Hollywood)

Hans1906
Banned

Re: Arte: "Lili Marleen" G/1981

Post by Hans1906 » 20 Jun 2022, 16:09

Dame Hanna Schygulla talked a lot about her movies, and Fassbinder in later years...

Portrait: https://www.arte.tv/de/videos/095786-00 ... schygulla/

An icon of German film, a simply great lady, a modern legend...

Hans
The paradise of the successful lends itself perfectly to a hell for the unsuccessful. (Bertold Brecht on Hollywood)

Helmut0815

Post by Helmut0815 » 21 Jun 2022, 18:34

IMHO a mediocre movie which had almost nothing to do with the true story of Lale Andersen and her song by Germany's most overrated director. His cameo: awkward.

best regards

Helmut

Hans1906
Banned

Post by Hans1906 » 24 Jun 2022, 16:32

Helmut,

Fassbinder is controversial, the man was completely insane, like Kinski, for example, but his films are masterpieces, timeless.

Just think of "Berlin, Alexanderplatz" with Günter Lamprecht as Franz Biberkopf, or his films about German terrorism in the 1970s, the man was deeply ill, but a visionary.

When I was younger I didn't like his films, it was "sick" for me what the man captured on film.
Today I see his work very differently, the man was a visionary, a seer, he saw what will be one day, and all of that has been fulfilled, even more, surpassed.

The German director Fassbinder has a rock in my board, as the saying goes, without ifs or buts.

May he rest in peace forever

Hans

VanillaNuns

Post by VanillaNuns » 30 Jun 2022, 18:50

Fantastic movie by a legendary director. A DVD release (dubbed in English as it was on VHS) is long overdue.

I've got a digital copy though which will have to do for now. The soundtrack by Peer Raben is also amazing.

Many of the cast died relatively young and/or in tragic circumstances.

Hans1906
Banned

Post by Hans1906 » 30 Jun 2022, 20:06

The man was insane, completely insane, an alcoholic and a drug addict, an idiot, and at the same time a genius, like some of us.

Addicted people produced some of the best films of all time.

Aguirre the Wrath of God is the prime example, an endless tragedy, a reference to the war in Vietnam war, endless dying for nothing, for an illusion...

Total destruction, the end, there is no salvation.

AGUIRRE, DER ZORN GOTTES | Trailer / Deutsch | Werner Herzog, Klaus Kinski |

You have to see these films in a cinema from the 1970s, the impressions are incomparable, on a big screen...
This is the stuff you dream about in later years, forever

Hans

Return to “Movies, games & other fiction”