Természetes fény / Natural Light (2021)

Discussions on WW2 and pre-WW2 related movies, games, military art and other fiction.
Ivan Ž.
Host - Music section

Természetes fény / Natural Light (2021)

Post by Ivan Ž. » 04 Jan 2023, 21:24

Finally a WWII movie that I really liked, after a long time (I think the last one was Land of Mine, 2015). There's almost no dialogue, action or suspense, just a dark forest and people scarred from war, with reduced, mixed or no emotions, which change depending on situation. A bit like a shorter and softer version of Come and See though, but still well worth a watch if you're in a mood for this type of film. The weight of the movie lies almost entirely in the face of the leading actor (Ferenc Szabó), who was a perfect choice. He's got that typical Austro-Hungarian look found in many historical images, and just seeing it on a movie poster was enough to convince me to watch the film.

Note that the lack of dialogue, music, action and emotions is what's been trendy in the movie business for quite some time now, in various genres, and I usually find it unoriginal, annoying and pointless, tending to avoid most of modern films. But it fitted this one perfectly, at least to my taste. Some may find this movie pointless and emotionless as well, but that's what wars are like - which is the exact point of Dénes Nagy's Natural Light. And the emotions are still there - only well-hidden, dulled and suppressed, fitting the circumstances.

Cheers,
Ivan

Return to “Movies, games & other fiction”