12. SS-Panzer-Division "Hitlerjugend" (Docu)

Discussions on WW2 and pre-WW2 related movies, games, military art and other fiction.
Hans1906
Banned

12. SS-Panzer-Division "Hitlerjugend" (Docu)

Post by Hans1906 » 20 Feb 2023, 16:40

"Treue bis in den Tod" - SS-Sturmbannführer Krüger - 12. SS-Panzer-Division "Hitlerjugend" (90 Minutes)

The newer german documentary from the german TV Channel "Welt TV":

Die 12. SS-Panzerdivision ''Hitlerjugend'' Doku (2020) (51 Minutes)

I will not rate both documentaries, our former german forum friend Herr Erich Bissoir gave short statements about his memories of that time in a few words.

Hans
* Interesting in the second documentary are the images that were subsequently converted to color.
The paradise of the successful lends itself perfectly to a hell for the unsuccessful. (Bertold Brecht on Hollywood)

Hans1906
Banned

Re: 12. SS-Panzer-Division "Hitlerjugend" (Docu)

Post by Hans1906 » 20 Feb 2023, 16:59

Addendum, one should see the two documentaries in a context of the time in which these films were produced.

They no longer reflect the current situation in Germany, but are still interesting, and many of you are probably not aware of them.
It's very difficult for me to endure the first documentary again, those were bad scenes.

But you have to go through it, that's German history of the 20th century.

Hans
The paradise of the successful lends itself perfectly to a hell for the unsuccessful. (Bertold Brecht on Hollywood)

mgharris

Post by mgharris » 20 Mar 2023, 09:12

Tim Saunders and Richard Hone’s Hitler Jugend 12th SS Panzer Division in Normandy is an OK read. I was more excited to begin reading the book than I was upon its completion. The book is 292 pages in length, with two short appendices, 9 pages of notes, a brief index, and interspersed with many good photos from the time period.

The first 22 pages deals with recruitment for and formation of the division, along with training, equipment, and the deployment of the division. Parental concerns of kindermort were set aside, as parents were “cajoled” that no repeat of 1914 casualties would be repeated as the “young soldiers would be of age and properly trained and equipped before being committed to battle.” Little good did this do as the Hitler Jugend Division fought within range of naval gunfire, and a metaphorical hornets nest of aerial interdiction, and overwhelming artillery fire.

Sheldrake

Post by Sheldrake » 20 Mar 2023, 23:30

mgharris wrote:
20 Mar 2023, 09:12
Tim Saunders and Richard Hone’s Hitler Jugend 12th SS Panzer Division in Normandy is an OK read. I was more excited to begin reading the book than I was upon its completion. The book is 292 pages in length, with two short appendices, 9 pages of notes, a brief index, and interspersed with many good photos from the time period.

The first 22 pages deals with recruitment for and formation of the division, along with training, equipment, and the deployment of the division. Parental concerns of kindermort were set aside, as parents were “cajoled” that no repeat of 1914 casualties would be repeated as the “young soldiers would be of age and properly trained and equipped before being committed to battle.” Little good did this do as the Hitler Jugend Division fought within range of naval gunfire, and a metaphorical hornets nest of aerial interdiction, and overwhelming artillery fire.
Tim and an Oxford German Don interviewed Hubert Meyer in the early 2000's Is this book better than Hubert Meyers own diviisonal history?

Michael Kenny

Post by Michael Kenny » 21 Mar 2023, 00:33

I don't think any book can better Meyer for detailed info on 12th SS in Normandy and it appears to me that Saunders just repeats a lot from Meyer. He left out a lot of the 'we fought magnificently' propaganda but retained the 'we wuz outgunned/outnumbered' excuses from Meyer. It seems Saunders went a bit native because though it is clear he used Szamveber as a source he very rarely give the actual 12th SS tank losses from his book. For example when Saunders reports the tank losses for Authie he simply repeats the 12th SS claims for Canadian losses and made no effort to check them against actual losses. If he had done so he would have found they were twice reality. He also, by error or design, misrepresents 12th SS losses on June 7th as thirteen Panzer IVs were knocked out, though most were recovered for repair when in fact 12 Pz IV were total losses and the number of casualties is unknown.

vonKarl

Post by vonKarl » 20 Apr 2023, 14:54

Ok, Hubert Meyer (SS member) wrote a war history of the 12th SS Panzer Division "Hitlerjugend" but not much in December 1944 moved battalions from Weiler to Esch > Pesch - Bocklemünd-Weiden-Frechen-Brühl - Harzheim etc. Logistic problems, wounded and dead comrades.

Return to “Movies, games & other fiction”