Saving Private Ryan

Discussions on WW2 and pre-WW2 related movies, games, military art and other fiction.
Marcus

Post by Marcus » 23 Sep 2002 14:34

POW wrote:Is it possible that Spielberg liked to let the audience associate Skinheads with soldiers of the German Wehrmacht?

It is of course possible, but I see no reason to think that was the reason.
Sloppy research or the general Hollywood carelessness with the truth are much more likely reasons in my opinion.

/Marcus

Daniel L

Post by Daniel L » 23 Sep 2002 14:36

didn't anyone read what I wrote?

it was not completely uncommon that soldiers shaved their heads on the eastern front due to fleas etc.

POW
Banned

Post by POW » 23 Sep 2002 14:59

Marcus Wendel wrote:It is of course possible, but I see no reason to think that was the reason.
Sloppy research or the general Hollywood carelessness with the truth are much more likely reasons in my opinion.

/Marcus

Sloopy research has nothing to do with casting a character.

James Patrick

Post by James Patrick » 23 Sep 2002 17:15

None of the German soldiers in the film had shaved heards from what I remember. They had short hair, but not skinheads. Probably just the haircut the actors showed up with. Who wants to hold off production for a year just to let someone grow out their hair. Most the German soldiers were proffessional soldiers who probably couldn't let their hair grow out anyway.

POW
Banned

Post by POW » 23 Sep 2002 17:27

James Patrick wrote:None of the German soldiers in the film had shaved heards from what I remember. They had short hair, but not skinheads. Probably just the haircut the actors showed up with. Who wants to hold off production for a year just to let someone grow out their hair. Most the German soldiers were proffessional soldiers who probably couldn't let their hair grow out anyway.

Ever heard of a wig?

Roland

Post by Roland » 23 Sep 2002 17:35

People are still talking about the hair? I already mentioned earlier that German soldiers cut their hair short sometimes in Russia. It has nothing to do with skinheads! It was a flea problem... How do I know that? Because my father told me. And he was a soldier on the Eastern front! Have you, guys, ever been in the Russian village? If you had, you should not be surprised about that! :lol:

Wolfkin

Post by Wolfkin » 23 Sep 2002 19:38

It was reenactors from The Second Battlegroup that played in Saving Private Ryan. And if y'all read this you will see that they were all forced to cut their hair for the movie!

http://www3.mistral.co.uk/sbg1/film.htm

Yes, German soldiers probably did cut their hair because of lice, but that was NOT the standard and common German Army haircut! Yes, a few veterans may have cut their hair short a few times to get rid of the lice and fleas but this may have been done as an after-the-fact measure and does not mean that a short haircut was the standard. This site shows the standard and common haircuts.

http://members.shaw.ca/deutschesoldaten/customs.htm

And besides all that, short hair is one thing, skinhead is another. Watch the movie, every German soldier seen without a helmet has a shaved head! Read what the reenactors have to say about when they got there and had to cut their hair!

Cheers,

Wolfkin

Caldric

Post by Caldric » 23 Sep 2002 22:17

So they portrayed SS Soldiers as what? Skinheads..... Well if that was the message I missed it.

These guys have hair.

If they felt so strongly about it they sold out for the movie.

They seem to think Tom Hanks and Spielberg were great people.

And lets face it if I were a Jew I would not want to paint the SS as normal either, fair? No it is not fair, nor was the way they treated Jews during WWII.

Oh and as far as I could tell they did not show the Germans in worse light then the Americans.

Wolfkin

Post by Wolfkin » 24 Sep 2002 05:35

Hey, are you talking to me?

Did I say anything about Jews, or painting the Germans as bad? Man, I was just stating that the haircuts were most likely inaccurate and provided a few links. :roll:

Cheers,

Wolfkin

Caldric

Post by Caldric » 24 Sep 2002 06:07

Wolfkin wrote:Hey, are you talking to me?

Did I say anything about Jews, or painting the Germans as bad? Man, I was just stating that the haircuts were most likely inaccurate and provided a few links. :roll:

Cheers,

Wolfkin

If you are saying they are comparing them to Skin Heads then yes I am, if you are not then no I am not. So calm down.

Wolfkin

Post by Wolfkin » 25 Sep 2002 08:29

Well, I am not saying that they are comparing them to skinheads but it does beg the question, why would they have all the German haircuts (the Germans we see without helmets) cut that way?

Is it just a simple case of ignorance? Was Stephen Ambrose the historical advisor for the movie? :)

Cheers,

Wolfkin

POW
Banned

Post by POW » 25 Sep 2002 09:27

When casting an actor you have have an idea how he/she must look like. This guy will never play a British gentleman

and this guy don't fit to a charming lover

and this are Germans

Daniel L

Post by Daniel L » 25 Sep 2002 13:19

I already told you but it seems you refuse to read my answer...

POW
Banned

Post by POW » 25 Sep 2002 14:15

charlie don't surf wrote:didn't anyone read what I wrote?

it was not completely uncommon that soldiers shaved their heads on the eastern front due to fleas etc.

I've read your answer. So what? Are we talking about the eastern front? Are we talking about some soldiers with shaved heads? No! We talk about why Spielberg used actors with an haircut wich was not common for the German soldiers faced Ryan. He casted and dressed the actors for looking German. Maybe by pure chance they looked like neonazis. Maybe it was meant. Who knows?

Daniel L

Post by Daniel L » 25 Sep 2002 14:53

no need for the agressiveness! I posted another reply were i stated that the germans were mainly german soldiers doing their military service.

Return to “Movies, games & other fiction”