WW II games

Discussions on WW2 and pre-WW2 related movies, games, military art and other fiction.
sylvieK4

Post by sylvieK4 » 02 Jul 2002, 02:23

I like the computer game "Jane's World War II Fighters: No Friendly Skies". This game is put out by the "Janes" military aircraft people. It has a surprisingly large number of combat flight simulations you can play. You can choose which planes you want to fly: P51D Mustang, P-47 Thunderbolt, P-38 Lighting, British Spitfire, Mk IX, Bf1096G-6, FW190A-8, and the Me262A1.

Image Image

You can even create your own missions - decide which plane to fly, against whom, how many of planes you want in the air with you (friend or foe). If you want a mission prepared for you, it has many options for that too: Allied or Axis combat or even training missions to choose from.

It is set over Belgium in 1944. Other aircraft is not the only obstacle you face in combat, as the game sometimes has anti aircraft flak exploding around you as you fly high above the clouds or low to the ground, dotted with woods and little towns. (You can even choose the conditions you fly in - moonlit night, dawn, dusk, or high noon. Inclement weather or clear.)

With this game, you can fly against German or Allied fighters or bombers (Junkers, Heinkels, Flying Fortresses, and others). You can view the action from the cockpit (and even fly by instrument), or follow your progress from angles outside the plane. You can also "test fly" any plane on limited strafing missions or aerial combat.

For an outwardly simple and inexpensive game, the "World War II Fighters" is a lot of fun. You can even hear the voices of "other" pilots in the sky. Germans if you are flying a German plane, American or british accented english when flying either of those respectively.

If you want to see the cockpits in detail, and get a sense of flying each of the planes, this is a good little game.

T.R.Searle

Post by T.R.Searle » 02 Jul 2002, 03:16

I forgot to mention that game. Yes its a really kool game. Especialy my favourite thing to do is fly the German campaigne in the Ardennes :D ,really fun when I get in the Focke-Wulf 190.

P.S.~ sylvie whats your favourite aircraft to fly??

T.R.Searle :)

Mike R

Post by Mike R » 02 Jul 2002, 03:43

I've got WW2 Fighters by Jane's, and it kicks ass!! I recently went out and got IL-2 and Rowan's Battle of Britain, but I think Jane's still kicks both their respective asses. I love the Me-109!! :D

-Mike

sylvieK4

Post by sylvieK4 » 02 Jul 2002, 14:25

P.S.~ sylvie whats your favourite aircraft to fly??

T.R.Searle :)
My favorite is the Focke-Wulf 190. It is the most maneuverable one, I think. It seems to run faster than the other planes - except the Messerschmidt jet, of course :D

The P-47 is best to fire, because it has more guns mounted to the front and, so, you don't have to be as accurate a shooter as with some of the other planes. Other planes in the game have fewer guns and, therefore, you have to have more pin-point targeting. As I use the game, I'm getting better with all of the planes, but, as I said. I really enjoy the FW-190. Lots of fun!

Bryan Poon

Post by Bryan Poon » 02 Jul 2002, 18:19

Hi Pilots

May be my post is a little bit out of the scope. Anyway, I just want to share. I love to fly F-16 in Falcon 4.

BP

Victor

Post by Victor » 03 Jul 2002, 10:20

Ahmed wrote:And I think Panzer General is way to simplifiyng. PG1 was cool because you could picture yourself moving divisions on a strategic map in relatively realistic way. But after PG1 the producers made a lot of mistakes. They changed the strategic map with a picture (PG2) and a 3D texturised polygon (PG3). I mean they now aime to animate the map too much- they abandoned the action films from PG1 and replaced them with 3D moving models. So I think a lot of my "suspension of disbelief" necessary to imagine myself leading armies is lost due to this lack of the concept of the game. Instead of concentrating on 3D grphics wich downplay realism (because they only make you aware that you're playing on a PC) they should have invested more effort in the composition of units (define their level- i.e. divisionary, increase the number of parameters that control the units behaviour in combat, etc).
Sorry for the long post but I think there's too much enthusiasm for PG from people who should know better.

-regards.
De gustibus non discutandum (if I remember well my latin :D )

I don't see why you think PG II is worse then PG I. It's got more types of troops, more attributes and better graphics. Plus the special abilities which come with the leaders. In my opinion is much more better than PG I.

Panzer general

Post by Panzer general » 04 Jul 2002, 12:37

sylvieK4 wrote:Jane's World War II Fighters: No Friendly Skies".
He is this game better than European Air War (yeah I know this is an old fly game but I like it!)

In European Air War I like the ME 262 very much. It is so fast. Shoot and run euh I mean fly hard away ;-)

Grtz

Panzer General

sylvieK4

Post by sylvieK4 » 05 Jul 2002, 00:53

I've never tried European Air War, but if its like the World War II fighters, I think I would like it. WWII Fighters really is a good game. Even if you don't want to shoot at anyone (or have anyone shoot at you), you can fly around the Belgian countryside just for the ride with the Jane's program. :D

Kapitan Drago

Post by Kapitan Drago » 09 Jul 2002, 08:16

For me PG2 is the best from the strategy games.I made some units icons and they are added to the game .I like this. PG3SE need alot updates.EAW (European Air War) is very good.Sudden Strike have great grafic
My web page ,with info about Bulgarian military history:
http://hometown.aol.com/bogdanovaslava/index.html

Petho

Post by Petho » 09 Jul 2002, 16:01

Have to disagree.. I still think the Campaign Series easily gives PG2 a run for the money. I could even venture to say its the best wargame out there.

"The CS is to me the most incredible game ever made. The core reason for this is that it is still a STRATEGY game. You must think to play. No bang-bang shoot-em-up knee jerk brainless button pushing here. When I started playing, I thought I was a star because I had done so well in PG2. WRONG. I was the steaming bulldog terd on the front doorstep that everyone got tired of stepping on. The CS is much more than just a strategy game with great graphics. It REQUIRES the proper use of combined arms to win. Try running a bunch of tigers without any support into a city against U.S. infantry and see what happens. And then there was Opportunity Fire. Sure, it is much maligned, but when you know that you've got a good chance of getting cranked if you stick your neck out, you're going to use a lot of caution when you advance. BIG advantage over PG2's engine. And using indirect fire by map is a great piece of work as well. And let's not ignore the subtleties of the engine itself. For any of you that used to play Avalon Hill games, do you remember counting out hexes and trying to figure in terrain effects as you did? And do you remember using a piece of string to calculate LOS on a photocopy of the map where there was a little dot in the center of each hex? Do you remember looking at the counters to figure out attack and defense and range and movement values? Did you ever try to peek at a stack of inverted counters (the old way to be out of sight) and then knock over about 4 stacks of units? Did you ever use stock prices to resolve dice rolls for PBM games where you divide the price by 6 and use the remainder as the die roll? Well, enough of that. Needless to say, the CS engine does ALL of that and much more. What a phenomenal game. And the scenario and map designers are fantastic. Pg2 forced you to used their static maps and then build new scenes on them. We get to make brilliant maps and then tailor our OOB's and victory conditions as we please.

Okay, I'm running out of steam here. About CM - I tried it and I hated it. Anything that involves clicking a button and then sitting back and watching as the units move is not for me. Might as well roll a joint, break out Tomb Raider, and turn up the stereo (by the way, I hate fast action games - the last ones I played were Joust and Galaga). CS is the greatest. "

This from a player who is a member of The Blitz... you can find the message on their message board.

Hope all is well
Take care and good luck
Jason Petho

Kapitan Drago

Post by Kapitan Drago » 09 Jul 2002, 19:15

" It REQUIRES the proper use of combined arms to win. Try running a bunch of tigers without any support into a city against U.S. infantry and see what happens. "

Ok,you talking about PG2. And PG2 now is free to download.
Looks like you play PG2 long time ago. Now we made entirely new maps,icons,scenarios,camps.Now we have 2000 diferend units in the game,all historic equipments from all countrys. 8)
My web page ,with info about Bulgarian military history:
http://hometown.aol.com/bogdanovaslava/index.html

Panzer general

Post by Panzer general » 09 Jul 2002, 23:01

Petho wrote:The CS is to me the most incredible game ever made
Hmm CS is......? :( Counter Strike? :roll:

Grtz

Panzer General

Petho

Post by Petho » 10 Jul 2002, 12:27

Counter strike.. LOL.. uhm no.. that;s just pure cheese IMHO :wink:

CS is the Campaign Series by Talonsoft.

FTC1048

Post by FTC1048 » 02 Aug 2002, 21:03

I think PG II is the best. I play online at the Zone.

Andy

Panzer general

Post by Panzer general » 03 Aug 2002, 01:10

FTC1048 wrote:I think PG II is the best. I play online at the Zone.

Andy
What is the exact webpage (url) ?

Grtz

Panzer General

Return to “Movies, games & other fiction”