Steel Panthers III

Discussions on WW2 and pre-WW2 related movies, games, military art and other fiction.
admfisher

Steel Panthers III

Post by admfisher » 01 Jun 2002, 20:47

Hello
I just got a copy of Steel Panthers III given to me and I am looking for opinions on the game.

It seems that each year another game is added to the pile of, "Here try this great game".
It is nice that people like to share but getting a game with the right downloads set up is a bit of a pain.

So I am asking is SPIII anygood?

My game playing has included PG I and II, Panzer Commander, and then my air and naval games.

Thanks for any comments.

Skorzeny

Post by Skorzeny » 16 Jun 2002, 17:17

IMHO, yes!

It all depends on what your personal preferences are, I like being able to build my own campaigns, which SPIII excels at.

The only downside, AFAIK,is that the AI is a little dumb, even on full realsim. But that is a problem that every game/sim has.

Mister_X-2

Post by Mister_X-2 » 17 Jun 2002, 12:01

Is Steel Panthers 3 the same as Steel Panthers 'World at War'?? Someone told me that SP:WAW was one of the best in it's category, is it true?
War belongs in a museum... that's what my Granny says.

Skorzeny

Post by Skorzeny » 17 Jun 2002, 22:20

No it's not the same, but close. SPIII is a game by SSI that alllows you to play from 1939-1999, available in retail stores.

SPWAW is a game by the boys at Wild Bills (IIRC), which is only available as a download, for free when I downloaded it a couple of years ago. It allows you to play from 1933-1949.

The both use the same game engine, and I would recommend both. The unit editor is SPWAW is excellent, the best I've seen, in that it allows you to basically design your own tanks and other weapons to use in the game.
If it only went all the way to 1999, like SPIII!

Definately worth the 100meg or so download, if it's still available.

Otto

Mister_X-2

Post by Mister_X-2 » 24 Jun 2002, 15:09

It is still available.. I preparing the download now, as we spaek. Maybe there will be someone who creates a 'mod' or plug-in for SP:WAW so it can run beyond 1999...
War belongs in a museum... that's what my Granny says.

Lawrence Tandy

Post by Lawrence Tandy » 27 Jun 2002, 04:53

I just dowloaded world at war at http://www.matrixgames.com, Works fine on my windows xp. Updated version with enhance ai, about 700megs.
It is still free an imho one of the greatest, realistic sims of all time. Have sp3 as well and it is also very good, but I can't play it on xp.

Return to “Movies, games & other fiction”