I just watched Dark Blue World..

Discussions on WW2 and pre-WW2 related movies, games, military art and other fiction.
Homer martin

I just watched Dark Blue World..

Post by Homer martin » 23 Jun 2002 23:47

Its a good movie about Czech pilots that fought for the RAF in WWII. Its well worth watching.

Its in subtitles.

/HGM

Ogorek

Post by Ogorek » 28 Jun 2002 22:25

I also saw it..... damn good movie with excelllent flying scenes. Short on sentimental crap, long on life.

Like a Czech World War II "Gone With The Wind."

Same could be said for The Netherlands "Soldier of Orange."

Anybodybody scene that one?

Panzer general

Post by Panzer general » 29 Jun 2002 23:35

Ogorek wrote:Same could be said for The Netherlands "Soldier of Orange."

Yeps good movie one of the best we have made in Holland.

In dutch the title is : Soldaat van Oranje !

But my all time favourite is still DAS BOOT in German not english!

U smell the U-boot almost :-)

Grtz

Panzer General

Ogorek

Post by Ogorek » 30 Jun 2002 17:24

Hello Panzer -

By the same token, in the States Soldaat van Oranje is also available in Dutch, sub-titled, and is the version I prefer - Holland is one of my favorite places, and I do like the Dutch.

Das Boot has its moments, and of course is better in the German original, but my father was a merchant sailor from 1939 until torpedoed in 1944.

Ironically, his part of Poland was annexed to the Reich, and in-laws and cousins served in the Kriegsmarine.

He never lived to see Das Boot, and I am sure that he would have taken issue with the scene of the burning tanker, and the young U-Boot men anguishing about Why doesn't someone save those men?

The battle of the North Atlantic was certainly ruthless and non-sentimental (despite the fact that as a boy my father's favorite book was the Von Luckner story, and he had the greatest respect for Langsdorf). For an opposite view, see THE CRUEL SEA. It was his, and still is one of my favorites.

During the early 70s I managed to find him a copy of Werner's IRON COFFINS. His comment was, All these years, I was wondering what those bastards were thinking.

I questioned him about what rubbed me wrong about Werner, his talk about his favorite whorehouse and partying sounded like they were a bunch of American college-puke fraternity assholes. His reply was, That's what they were, was assholes and kids.[i][/i]

Panzer general

Post by Panzer general » 30 Jun 2002 22:34

Ogorek wrote:Holland is one of my favorite places, and I do like the Dutch.
Thanks a lot. I'am dutch.

Yes I agree with u that the scene of the retreating u-boot is strange. In real time it was the enemy or you who would suffer and/or die, so no choice. In wartimes u must be hard, if u like it or not.

By the way I like california :-)

Grtz

Panzer General

Homer martin

Hi

Post by Homer martin » 01 Jul 2002 04:15

I liked Das Boot it is the best movie about sub warfare in WWII.

I also have seen Soldier of Orange.

If you haven't seen Come and See it is worth watching. Its a Russian movie with subtittles (I still need the subs my russian isn't the best in the world).

One of my favorite WWII is still Battle Ground, it has a good story line and has a great scene on what makes a person fight and why he stays and fights.

Ogorek

Post by Ogorek » 01 Jul 2002 16:05

Panzer......

The Battle of Atlantic was a war where paralyzing fear was a constant factor, there was much valor, but little mercy. For both the hunter and the hunted - and the roles would change very fast, the common factor was that the sea was not neutral, and never forgave any error.

While a bit sentimental (for both sides) the film THE ENEMY BELOW showing a duel between Robert Mitcham on a DE and Kurt Jurgens on a U-Boot did have its moments. But I still recommend THE CRUEL SEA above all.

Homer.....
I agree with you BATTLEGROUND it one of the best. The very technical errors do not mar this film. The brilliance I thought, was the way that the director focused on the faces, and the fact that you sw the condition of the men deteriorate with time.

The funniest thing I saw was when that fool Ted Turner - you know the man who every Memorial and Veterans Day pays tribute to our fighting men by showing KELLYS HEROES and the DIRTY DOZEN - colorized BATTLEGROUND. Sky is blue? RIGHT! So blue sky over Bastogne, and the film lost the claustrophobic feel it had in glorious Black and White. Also, the effect of the faces was lost- their tongues were the same color as their noses.

Taped ATTACK! a few weeks back. Did not watch it, and have not seen it in over 20 years, but am looking forward to again seeing Lee Marvin, Eddie Albert and Jack Palance.

Have not seen COME AND SEE IT, but have heard only good.

You guys take care...

David Thompson
Forum Staff

Re: I just watched Dark Blue World..

Post by David Thompson » 22 Apr 2020 03:47

An off-topic post from Ed F. was removed pursuant to the forum rules.

Ivan1987

Re: I just watched Dark Blue World..

Post by Ivan1987 » 26 Apr 2020 19:39

This is actually one of my favorite WW2 movies. I have problems viewing the scenes from the communist prison, though. It's really sad to see how most of these heroes ended after the war.

Return to “Movies, games & other fiction”