Sven hassel books

Discussions on WW2 and pre-WW2 related movies, games, military art and other fiction.
Wolfensteiner

Sven hassel books

Post by Wolfensteiner » 25 Jan 2004 08:45

Hey, I was wondering if anyone reads Sven hassel, and are his books good? and are any of them true?

Necros

Post by Necros » 25 Jan 2004 10:33

I've read a couple of them and I like his books alot. I don't know if there is any truth to them, but I like the fact that he gives a pretty grim view of the war.

Necros

Kurz Patrone

Post by Kurz Patrone » 25 Jan 2004 12:23

i love h. hassel books i have read them since i was a kid.

Kloster

Post by Kloster » 25 Jan 2004 14:04

a search for Sven hassel in thiese forums would show you alot of other topics :)

i do like em myself, Porta being 1 of my favorits :D

Kloster

finnjaeger

Post by finnjaeger » 25 Jan 2004 22:21

i´ve read most of them and i really like them, but i dont think they are true, not by some parts i think. I actually think he has read finnish book "unknown soldier" and borrowed some scenes from there. Could be wrong though. Anyway they are very entertaining.

regards, TK

GFM2000

Post by GFM2000 » 26 Jan 2004 00:58

I don't think there is any truth to the adventures of the 27th Disciplinary Regiment, unfortunately. :D There are numerous websites discussing this issue ; my favourite one is

http://www.dansmith.info/hassel/

This site not only has a comprehensive details of the primary characters in the book, but also details some information about the author, Sven Hassel, himself.

Even though the books are fictional, I am very impressed that many of the events are historically correct. I use "SS General" as an example, when Hassel wrote about the blood purge of 1934 (he corrected cited Eicke as Rohm's assassin, rather than Sepp Dietrich, as some older textbooks still claim), as well as the fierce fighting at the Red October factory in Stalingrad during the battle there in 1942. Not to mention, as many Forum members found out, that his stories are highly entertaining!

:D [/url]

ninoo

Post by ninoo » 26 Jan 2004 03:29

Hi,

I think Sven Hassel books are very entertaining. For me, his 'Legion of the Damned' is his best book because it give the grim and true situation of war. The others, although i also like them, are too novelty: anybody who learn history of the periode would soon know them as fiction. anyway, they still the best of their's genre books

Regards

CHRISCHA
Financial supporter

Post by CHRISCHA » 26 Jan 2004 10:51

I read all the Sven Hassle books, and loved them.

I can't seem to get into them aymore though.

I read that Hassel was in fact a Swedish colabarator, and his brothel owning wife wrote most of the books, gaining info' from German soldiers.
I know, this sounds like nonsense.

I could never understand how a penal regiment kept getting tanks, and the same men, officers and nco's served throughout. (I never believed much of it to be honest).

Entertaining non the less.

Wolfensteiner

Post by Wolfensteiner » 26 Jan 2004 11:49

how old is he? or was he when he died?

Kurz Patrone

Post by Kurz Patrone » 26 Jan 2004 11:50

all S. Hassel books r getting reprinted and i have seen them already on shops for sale.

vogelbird

Sven Hassel Books

Post by vogelbird » 26 Jan 2004 12:23

I read all the Sven Hassel books that were available in my youth and found them extremely fascinating and very graphically imaginative. I checked the biographical thread given above and found that most interesting also. I never knew a lot of what is written there, about him.
Vogelbird

Malbork

Post by Malbork » 27 Jan 2004 11:18

Hi forum,

Like most of the others here I read all the books when I was a kid and still reread some of them even now. My favourite is Wheels of Terror, which I think gives a fairly accurate portrayal of what things may have been like (thank God I'll never have to find out for myself).

As to the accuracy, that's anyone's guess. Legion of the Damned, WoT and Comrades of War seem fairly accurate but the rest are just yarns IMHO. :) But entertaining nonetheless.

In my 1974 edition of SS General, chapters 5 and 6 are inverted, so the events in 6 take place before those in 5. It took me nearly 30 years to discover this butI can't say it's particularly ruined my enjoyment of the book. :D

Cheers

Necros

Post by Necros » 27 Jan 2004 11:19

GFM2000 wrote:I don't think there is any truth to the adventures of the 27th Disciplinary Regiment, unfortunately. :D There are numerous websites discussing this issue ; my favourite one is

http://www.dansmith.info/hassel/

This site not only has a comprehensive details of the primary characters in the book, but also details some information about the author, Sven Hassel, himself.

Even though the books are fictional, I am very impressed that many of the events are historically correct. I use "SS General" as an example, when Hassel wrote about the blood purge of 1934 (he corrected cited Eicke as Rohm's assassin, rather than Sepp Dietrich, as some older textbooks still claim), as well as the fierce fighting at the Red October factory in Stalingrad during the battle there in 1942. Not to mention, as many Forum members found out, that his stories are highly entertaining!

:D [/url]

Great link!
Thanks

/Necros

macgoy

Post by macgoy » 30 Jan 2004 13:12

Hi, I think the Hassel's book are just entertaining.

But for what concerns Hassel himself, check the following site :

http://members.lycos.co.uk/haaest/Mains ... 0table.htm

He seems to be just a fraud.

Mac

Polynikes

Post by Polynikes » 30 Jan 2004 15:40

Apparantly Scen Hassel's books are the recollections of various soldiers who fought in WWII.

Hassel listened to the stories and wrote a series of books - rarely with any kind of date information and seemingly jumbled up anecdotes.

I loved them as a boy. My favourites were Liquidate Paris and Monte Cassino.

As with all books like this - the heroes got to fight in every campaign conducted by the Wehrmacht.

Cheers from Rich

Return to “Movies, games & other fiction”