Silent Hunter II and Destroyer Command?

Discussions on WW2 and pre-WW2 related movies, games, military art and other fiction.
subskipper

Silent Hunter II and Destroyer Command?

Post by subskipper » 22 Mar 2002, 00:33

How many of you have tried these games and what do you think of them? Personally, I was somewhat disappointed by SH2, and haven't bought Destroyer Command yet. Any comments?

~Henric Edwards

kellysartin

Post by kellysartin » 25 Mar 2002, 07:16

i was disappointed wit shII because i COULD NOT WIN! i could not exit the scenario until i sank something, but the only way i could survive was to sneak around and sink little or nothing. sinking the polish cruisers , and the british battleship in scapa flow was easy. i collected my iron cross second class and looked forward to a stunning career of tankers sunk and german crosses in gold and knights crosses. but after that i could NEVER get close enough to a merchant ship without being spotted by a destroyer. apparently this was realistic, according to all i have read, three ships sunk and then killed in action with all hands lost was a good record! i was especially disappointed after i sank the battleship in scapa flow and got away clean - even after two depth charge attacks, because for the same feat Gunther Prein in the U-47 got the knights cross. i got- NOTHING! i could not believe i didn't even get the iron cross for a battleship. what, does Donitz hate me or something? and here i thought i was going to be telling Bdu that i wanted the german cross in gold twice, as it is my favorite award. the editing out of all the swastikas was annoying, but there was one oversight- was it an oversight? you can barely see the swastika in the stamp on your mission orders.

subskipper

Post by subskipper » 25 Mar 2002, 13:12

kellysartin,

Good points. The AI in SHII is very weak at times. On other occasions the AI destroyer seems to pick you up even before you've seen them (before radar was introduced). Depth charges are a bit too lethal, and I would certainly not say that this is as it should be. Perhaps later in the war when the allies had better equipment, but not early. The patch did help a bit, but if they don't release another one adressing the AI issue, the game won't be back on my HD for quite a long time.

~Henric Edwards

MarcosKtulu

Post by MarcosKtulu » 25 Mar 2002, 19:13

There are reviews of those games already in Gamespot, but I´ll give my personal impression on Destroyer command:
The game feels good at first. You sense you are in a destroyer. Unfortunatelly that doesn´t apply much for the rest of the game. The terrible AI and tedious gameplay makes you want to go play something else. Just a detail on the whole thing...

subskipper

Post by subskipper » 25 Mar 2002, 20:02

It's very unfortunate that they didn't spent some more time on implementing good AI and a dynamic campaign ig SHII. I suppose they simply ran out of money and patince and decided to release the game.

~Henric Edwards

Antti V

Post by Antti V » 26 Mar 2002, 12:16

Yes, they did publish it still bit unfinished, perhaps Wolfpack League had something to do with it :roll:

Anyway, My personal view is that SH2 is quite interesting game after all. Yes, here is bit weak and stupid AI but ability to create new scenarios and submarines/planes/ships makes it very interesting. :D Multiplayer games are very interesting, its impossible to get such feeling from single games. However, Aces Of The Deep is still best U-boat simulator for me :)

TonyG

SH2

Post by TonyG » 28 Mar 2002, 06:32

The new patch for SH2 fixed a few of the problems, but tha AI is still not up to scratch.
Multiplayer is a joke, you can go up against another U Boat (not realistic but a bit of fun) or a human controlled Destroyer, but as soon as you put any AI elements in the game crashes.
There are plenty of mods and addons which have changed the game around for me (the 1024 mod is great) but basically the game is flawed.
Having said that it is the best U Boat sim available, there isn't any other modern ones about.

Tony
(previously U 331, Hi Daft)

Kristofer

Post by Kristofer » 19 Apr 2002, 13:49

what was your speed? depth? was your Para up? was it at night or day? if it's day keep your para down unless you plan to fire on a target... if the convoy is slow enough follow it untill night falls then you can close much closer and gain more kills.. even suface and use your deck gun often if you just damage a few enough they will lack behide and you can crash drive and wait to finish them off

T.R.Searle

Post by T.R.Searle » 31 May 2002, 01:42

I think SH II is good but i agree with the AI problems...alot of times for me 2 ships ram eachother, stuck and are not moving and i just sink them from pariscope depth and then i have a nice 5000 tons sank.I agree with the not recieving medals for ones good work...i sank 2 battleships and an aircraft carrier and almost got blown out of the water and limped back to base to recive......another mission. not even the EK1(already had the 2nd)when i was expecting The German Cross in gold or anything else. oh well.I haven't tried multiplayer yet though.aswell as when i go into a narrow fjord or entrance to a harbor i run aground.....how else did the other damn boats get in there!but atleast i normaly end up getting out.but i find the game fun and alittle boaring though at times so over all i would give it 6 or 7/10

Return to “Movies, games & other fiction”