Hell's Angels (1930)

Discussions on WW2 and pre-WW2 related movies, games, military art and other fiction.
Volklin

Hell's Angels (1930)

Post by Volklin » 23 Jul 2004 06:44

I just started watching this 70 minutes ago, now it's intermission, but this movie is about 2 British brother pilots who go fight the Flying Circus. There was particularly an interesting scene of a German crew in a Zeppelin going to drop bombs over the heart of London, Trafalgar Square. They release a pod in which a guy is in and lowered by steel ropes real close to London and he uses his bomb sight to sight the target, only just because the movie director at the time didn't want London actually being bombed the German spotter turns out to be a traitor and instead picks an empty lake to bomb as the German commander releases all bombs. Later 4 Brit planes are after the Zepellin and the commander tells them all to jump off so they can gain greater altitude w/out any weight. Crazy stuff.

The whole Zeppelin scene reminded me of Das Boot, only WWI and in a Zeppelin. The commander has scars on his face, and marches around in jolting actions shouting orders. Eventually all planes are shot down except for one and the pilot decides to kill himself in flying into the plane destroying it.

This movie has black and white scenes, 2-color scenes (like blue hue or red hue), and even full color scenes for a 1930s movie.

Klaus Yurk
Financial supporter

Post by Klaus Yurk » 23 Jul 2004 08:40

They showed it on TCM tonight here in the US.

For it's time period I thought the effects were spectacular. The whole Zeppelin burning and crashing were pretty well done. And the aerial dog-fighting can probably only be topped by "The Blue Max." The story is fair, to hokey. Jumping out of the Zeppelin, the shooting his brother bit... quite hokey, but, oh well. Jean Harlow looks nicely slutty 8). "I just want to have fun." Okay, a modern woman :lol: (Was she the one that took on the whole Southern Cal football team? Or was that Clara Bow? :P )

I think the movie lives on it's effects. But so do a lot of movies. All in all, I enjoy it every time I see it. Howard Hughes did okay. Still making money from residuals long after he's gone.

Klaus

Canon in D

Post by Canon in D » 23 Jul 2004 08:57

Ooh, wow. That sounds like a very good movie. I guess I'll have to keep my eyes peeled.

Klaus Yurk
Financial supporter

Post by Klaus Yurk » 23 Jul 2004 09:28

Canon,

It is on Turner Classic Movies this month. Probably be shown again later. You might check their website. I think during the breaks they were even talking about it possibly coming out on DVD.

Best,

Klaus

Volklin

Post by Volklin » 23 Jul 2004 10:04

Yeah i caught it on TCM. The Zeppelin scene was a real treat.
I can't believe how they can make fully color scenes in 1930, why couldn't they just go the extra mile and get color film for the WHOLE movie? And for all WWI movies made in the 30s for that matter?? Why?? WHY??

Klaus Yurk
Financial supporter

Post by Klaus Yurk » 23 Jul 2004 11:40

Volklin,

I think part of the color/black &white split is because the movie took so long to make. The color process just came out, so they shot some in color. Also, the announcer mentioned that by the time it was done, talkies were out and it was originally done as a silent. There was some Norwegian actress originally cast in the "bad girl" role, but she had such a heavy accent, that she just could not make the transition to a sound movie. So they had to re-shoot all the talking scenes, and cast a young unknown by the name of Jean Harlow in the role. Inexperienced, but she could speak the language. (You surely also noticed a couple of those old silent movie inserts, the black screen with written words describing what the characters are saying?)

All in all, I think Hughes earned his money on this one. If I am not mistaken, it also won a award new award. Called an "oscar." For the aerial photography perhaps? I think it was a box office success too.

I always enjoy the film.

Regards,

Klaus

Volklin

Post by Volklin » 23 Jul 2004 21:37

Yeah i was really impressed by the full color for a movie made in 1930. Though it was mostly the night when they're dancing i wish the color film was used for the Zepellin scene.

Canon in D

Post by Canon in D » 23 Jul 2004 23:44

Klaus,

Thanks for the information. I'll check their wesite out also.

bonzen

Post by bonzen » 25 Jul 2004 02:44

It was color tinted and it cost Hughes a fortune..nearly 4 million bucks. The one bright spot was 18 year old Jean Harlow. Hughes was a young man with loads of cash....He didn't care how long it took or how much it cost.

Ogorek

Post by Ogorek » 26 Jul 2004 20:24

On Wednesday, August 11, TCM (Turner Corny Movies) will be showing 24 hours of Jean Harlow's movies...... HELL'S ANGELS will be on 8 PM, Eastern time.

Volklin

Post by Volklin » 27 Jul 2004 10:10

It's Turner Classic Movies

Ogorek

Post by Ogorek » 27 Jul 2004 17:26

Yes.... I see..... That famous Prussian sense of humor.....

Volklin

Post by Volklin » 28 Jul 2004 00:18

If you're going to make fun of channels you might as well direct it toward AMC :?

Ogorek

Post by Ogorek » 29 Jul 2004 16:50

How about PMC..... (Prussian Movie Classics) where they show one film the updated KOLBERG, by that famous director Allen Konigsberg.... Starring Woody Allen and Mia Farrow, and all the young "volunteers" ??????

Klaus Yurk
Financial supporter

Post by Klaus Yurk » 30 Jul 2004 02:13

Off topic (so I will mention "Hell's Angels" so this won't be deleted :lol: )

Anyone remember an original "Saturday Night Live" skit with Danny Akroyd playing a stuffy Brit called Leonard Pinth-Garnell? He would do this fictional show called "Bad Bulgarian Cinema." Rather than the Ogorek's Prussian Movie Classics...I'd prefer something along the lines of a BRC channel.......Leonard Pinth-Garnell host "Bad Russian Cinema." 8)

Sounds far more entertaining than "The Home Shopping Network." Endless howls of laughter at the unintenional humor. :lol: :P

Klaus

Return to “Movies, games & other fiction”