Codename: Panzers

Discussions on WW2 and pre-WW2 related movies, games, military art and other fiction.
Liluh

Post by Liluh » 16 Aug 2004, 18:59

Baltasar wrote:
We will see in the final game, if such scenes will be often, by which they`ll indeed humiliate Poles, or just seldom, preferably none. It would be sad for such a good game to spoil the fun with unnecessary and offensive in its meaning scenes.
You may understand that as a german, I'm used to see ridiculous behaviour of supposed german troops and civilians. Personally, I can't understand why you feel offended. It's a game.
and
Obserwator wrote: Such stereotypes led to slaughter of 6 milion Poles and destruction of Poland.To see them still alive is very offending.

To Baltasar:

You`re used to ridiculous behaviour of German troops, I`m not used to Polish. Mainly becouse every kid likes to play his hero American Ranger or sth, and kill Nazis - game companies use that to their advantage (or maybe the other way around? doesn`t matter, the outcome is the same). My point is, since it`s first RTS presenting Polish forces in WWII, I`m picking out everything which bothers me. At this stage, I simply take all "nasty" scenes in the game as a personal insult like someone on the forum would do that. That`s just stronger than me, I`m not used to it as I wrote. It`s quite likely that if the topic will be explorated by games more often I`ll get over it and say "ah, another lousy historical treatment" meanwhile its terra incognita to me. Although I try not to exaggerate which goes to

Obserwator:

I don`t think the game company had any interest in insulting Poles, frankly every kid playing the game will quickly forget it, or even won`t notice. It`s for schools and teachers to show the history straight, games are to bring entertainment and fun, plus good profit. So you should not refer to it as "6 mln" Poles died just to allow some lousy game developer bend the history and insult them. All in all, CDV also published a nice game before -> Cossacks, which showed Poland as a military empire and had whole campaing based around it.

Obserwator
Banned

Post by Obserwator » 16 Aug 2004, 19:13

It`s for schools and teachers to show the history straight, games are to bring entertainment and fun, plus good profit.
Unfortunetly kids will learn more from games about history then at school.

Liluh

Post by Liluh » 16 Aug 2004, 22:23

Obserwator wrote:
It`s for schools and teachers to show the history straight, games are to bring entertainment and fun, plus good profit.
Unfortunetly kids will learn more from games about history then at school.
I`m not thinking that way. It`s old story. If kids shoot people in games? Kill them in most horrific manner does it spoil them? Does it mean they`ll rush the streets in search for pray? I guess not, unless someone puts 5 year old 24/day in front of the screen. I remember playing Civilization as a youngster, but I don`t think it changed my way of viewing history ;)

All what such kid will get out from such game will be that Germans attacked Poland. Btw. Did you think about the fact, that the more rubble, good or bad, about one game, the more keen will people be to buy it? Free advert rules ;)
I remember someone from ID saying that about Quake "If you hate this game so much, please buy it, even every single copy and burn it on a big pile. I`ll buy myself a new Ferrari and will thank you" :)

Christian W.

Post by Christian W. » 16 Aug 2004, 22:46

This topic is getting out of hand.. :?

Ingsoc75

Post by Ingsoc75 » 17 Aug 2004, 15:47

I was looking the screenshots from the game and have you noticed that the rifles look rather large on the Germans? Also why do some Germans have red armbands on? Is this for MP?

Christian W.

Post by Christian W. » 17 Aug 2004, 16:37

The fact that rifles are large doesnt matter me. 8)

NATO

Post by NATO » 18 Aug 2004, 02:56

I downloaded both demos for this game and can't get either one to work.

When I hit the exe. it starts to load and thewn says it can't create a texture file and then crashes.

Anyone else have this problem?

Liluh

Post by Liluh » 18 Aug 2004, 04:11

NATO wrote:I downloaded both demos for this game and can't get either one to work.

When I hit the exe. it starts to load and thewn says it can't create a texture file and then crashes.

Anyone else have this problem?
Hm, check the minimal game requirments. I had no troubles on amd duron 1ghz, 512mb ram and radeon9200se. It even works quite smooth in 1024x768 32bit with details on full, except anti-aliasing which is off.

Musashi
Location: Coventry, West Midlands, the UK [it's one big roundabout]

Post by Musashi » 18 Aug 2004, 09:31

Liluh, I was watching Teleexpress yesterday. I heard a German version of the game will be banned in Poland. Cenega, that will distribute this game, has to remove the most controversial scenes. Polish Foreign Ministry will intervene about this game.

Contact me. GG 5539612

Christian W.

Post by Christian W. » 18 Aug 2004, 10:53

The Poles got mad about the historical propaganda, well, that is only part of the WWII history but the fact that they got mad about it is undrestandeable.

Christian W.

Post by Christian W. » 18 Aug 2004, 17:12

And Musashi, Liluh, i would really apreaciate if you could tell me what these Polish words mean. They are from this WWII movie and there are these Polish soldiers who are crossing river with rubber boats, unfortenetly, the current is strong and they need to pull the boats with ropes.

Soldier 1. Tylko dwoch na jednego.

Soldier 2. Cicho tam. Cisza. Cisza.

Polish officer. ( The officer hears some explosions from the other side of the river. ) Stac. Stac. ( everything is quiet for a while. ) Sznur. Sznur. ( The German troops on the other side of the river fire a flare ) Ciagnac sznur! Sznur! Wyciagac ich! Szybko! ( German troops start to fire the Poles from the other side of the river ) Ciagnac!

Musashi
Location: Coventry, West Midlands, the UK [it's one big roundabout]

Post by Musashi » 18 Aug 2004, 18:55

Christian W. wrote: Soldier 1. Tylko dwoch na jednego.
Its only two [men] against one. [I can miss the context now, because it depends of a situation].
Christian W. wrote: Soldier 2. Cicho tam. Cisza. Cisza.
Be silent. Silence. Silence.
Christian W. wrote: Stac. Stac.
Stop. Stop. (the most proper is a German word "HALT")
Christian W. wrote: Sznur. Sznur. Ciagnac sznur! Sznur! Wyciagac ich! Szybko! Ciagnac!
Rope. Rope. Pull the rope! Rope! Pull them out! Fast! Pull!

The words are from "A Bridge too Far" and were told by Gene Hackman (playing Gen. Sosabowski).
How did you get the Polish text?

Christian W.

Post by Christian W. » 18 Aug 2004, 19:09

Hello. Thank you wery much :D . Yes, they are from the DVD A Bridge Too Far, but anyway... You can get the Polish text by choosing English 2 text, thats right after English text one. Again, thank you. 8)

R-Bob The Great!

Post by R-Bob The Great! » 19 Aug 2004, 00:18

Does anyone know the minimum specifications for this? I have 0.8 Ghz with 128 mb of ram and a Raedon 8000 Card. I doubt it will work but there is a chance, Call of Duty worked!

Sector 7s FFI

Post by Sector 7s FFI » 19 Aug 2004, 00:57

It's really a great game, you should try the Multuplayer demo, it's just wondeful !

Vorwärts Kameraden !

Return to “Movies, games & other fiction”