Best portrait of a german soldier on a movie

Discussions on WW2 and pre-WW2 related movies, games, military art and other fiction.
Dan Reinbold

Post by Dan Reinbold » 01 Sep 2004 05:28

Jari wrote:Leutnant Grüber from 'Allo 'Allo is the clear winner. :D

:lol: :lol: :lol: That is hilarious...or perhaps Herr Flick as the Gestapo man?

Dan Reinbold

Post by Dan Reinbold » 01 Sep 2004 05:29

I was always partial to Maximilian Schell in "A Bridge Too Far"...although he didn't look much like Bittrich...he did play the part well.

Homerr

Post by Homerr » 01 Sep 2004 07:30

Col. Klink? :wink:

In part 10 of Band of Brothers, I think it was, where the German general addresses his troops as they surrender. Only a few lines but very effective and a very good end in the series for the 'official' German army as it was portrayed. Important that they showed a bunch of professional soldiers and not a bunch of 'Nazi fanatics'.

Jurgen Prochnow - second him in Das Boot.

James Coburn in Cross of Iron.

If we include all "Axis" then the cast of 'Beach Red' gets kudos too. Been a while since I've seen this one, but quite good as I recall.

Panzer37

Post by Panzer37 » 01 Sep 2004 07:43

There is a German actor that has appeared in many movies playing the typical nazi officer. He played Reinhard Heydrich, he played a German officer in "where eagles dare". And many others. He also played a German army officer in a WW1 Zepelin in an old movie with Michael York.

Btw, I once saw Michael York playing Rommel in a movie with George Peppard. The movie was lousy, dont even know the name, but he does kind of look like Rommel.

I agree with ppl here. I like Michael Cane as Kurt Steiner in the Eagle has landed. Jürgen Prochnow in Das Boot. Ralph Fiennes in Schindler List. Peter O'Tool as General Tanz. Specially fond of Maximilian Schell, since he is not the typical arian type. He also played a German officer in an old movie (really sorry i dont recall the name) in which Charlton Heston plays an orchestra director.

What do you guys think of James Mason in the first Rommel movie?

Regards

Hector

Beppo Schmidt

Post by Beppo Schmidt » 01 Sep 2004 14:06

There is a German actor that has appeared in many movies playing the typical nazi officer. He played Reinhard Heydrich, he played a German officer in "where eagles dare". And many others. He also played a German army officer in a WW1 Zepelin in an old movie with Michael York.

That's Anton Diffring. He also played Joachim von Ribbentrop in the 1983 miniseries The Winds of War, and did a pretty good job, I thought. IMHO he looks a lot more like Ribbentrop than Heydrich.

waldorf

Post by waldorf » 01 Sep 2004 23:55

Panzer 37 wrote:
Btw, I once saw Michael York playing Rommel in a movie with George Peppard. The movie was lousy, dont even know the name, but he does kind of look like Rommel.

Could the movie have been Tobruk? If it was I agree with you wholeheartedly the movie was a turkey.

I always liked: James Mason in The Desert Fox,
Robert Shaw as Col. Hessler in Battle of the Bulge
Hans Christian Bleck as Cpl. Conrad in Battle of the Bulge as well as Major Werner Pluskat in The Longest Day
Hannes Messemer as Col. Luger in The Great Escape
Sergio Fantoni as Capt. Oriani in Von Ryan's Express. (even though you didn't ask for other Axis personalities I liked how this character was portrayed breaking normal stereotypes portraying WWII Italian soldiers.)

W.

waldorf

Post by waldorf » 01 Sep 2004 23:58

How could I have forgotten Hardy Krüger as Major General Ludwig in A Bridge Too Far

W.

waldorf

Post by waldorf » 02 Sep 2004 00:04

Beppo Schmidt wrote:
That's Karl-Otto Alberty, also appeared in The Battle of Britain, The Winds of War, and War and Remembrance, and yes he is very scary, especially in the last two.

The Great Escape too, sorry just hd to add that.

Alberty also played Major von Diepel in The Battle of The Bulge

Panzermahn

Post by Panzermahn » 02 Sep 2004 10:45

My list of best portrayal of German soldiers and officer in movie

a) Paul Hartmann (Gerd von Rundstedt in the longest day, looks really like the real Gerd von Rundstedt but just a bit too fat)

b) Hardy Kruger (Franz von Werra in The One Who Got Away and Major General Karl Ludwig in A Bridge too Far)

c) Jurgen Prochnow (Submarine captain in Das boot)

d) Hannes Messemer (Kommandant, Stalag Luft in The Great Escape...This guy really speak English in heavy German accent..."vie trust you to use zis things for gardening"z0

e) Otto Preminger (Colonel von Scherbach, commandant of stalag 17...)

Beppo Schmidt

Post by Beppo Schmidt » 02 Sep 2004 13:33

a) Paul Hartmann (Gerd von Rundstedt in the longest day, looks really like the real Gerd von Rundstedt but just a bit too fat)

Yes Hartmann is my favorite film von Rundstedt.

b) Hardy Kruger (Franz von Werra in The One Who Got Away and Major General Karl Ludwig in A Bridge too Far)

He's also good as Colonel Kranzer in The Battle of Neretva and even played Rommel in the miniseries War and Remembrance, if anyone has seen that.

Lipton

Post by Lipton » 02 Sep 2004 13:48

Colonel Werner Visser (Marcel Iures) from Hart's war

HPL2008

Post by HPL2008 » 02 Sep 2004 19:45

My top ten favorites (in no particular order whatsoever)

- Peter O' Toole as General Tanz in "Night Of The Generals" (Maybe not the typical German officer, but certainly one fine character study of a typical psychopath!)

- Maximilian Schell as SS-Gruppenführer Willi Bittrich in "A Bridge Too Far" (Finally, a non-clichéd portrayal of an SS General!) and as Hauptmann Stransky in "Cross Of Iron" (Brilliant performance, i.e. brilliantly loathsome!)

- Wolfgang Preiss as all sorts of Generals and Field Marshals (including many fictitious characters as well as quite a few historical figures like Jodl, Rundstedt, Rommel and Kesselring) in what must be like a gazillion war movies.

- Curd Jürgens, who played all the remaining Generals and Field Marshals that Wolfgang Preiss didn't have the time to do, or so it seems...

- Jürgen Prochnow as the skipper in "Das Boot". 'Nuff said.

- Ralph Fiennes as Hstuf. Amon Göth in "Schindler's List". Managed to portray this sadistic, despicable concentration camp commandant as not just another one-dimensional comic-book Nazi monster, but as a totally believable, frighteningly human character.... and at times as so pathetic that you almost feel sorry for him. Almost.

- Donald Pleasance as that short, bald, Schnaps-drinking, slightly comical but extremely likeable General Kahlenberg in "Night Of The Generals"... and doing the best Himmler ever in "The Eagle Has Landed".

- James Mason as Feldmarschall Rommel in "The Desert Fox" - An impressive performance with a great aura of class, dignity and honor. (He wasn't half bad as Oberst Brandt in "Cross Of Iron" either.)

- Kenneth Branagh as Reinhard Heydrich in "Conspiracy": What a fine study of the seductive power of the Dark Side - Intelligent and cultured, yet cold and unscrupulous, sometimes charming, sometimes threatening, always manipulative, always dangerous... Like a historical Hannibal Lecter or something.

- The duo of Charles Durning as "Concentration Camp" Erhardt and Christopher Lloyd as his nervous, much-vilified adjutant Schultz in Mel Brooks' "To Be Or Not To Be" - Just for being really funny and to end it on a light note after all those acting heavyweights...

melbar16

The Battle of Neretva

Post by melbar16 » 02 Sep 2004 23:03

The Battle of Neretva... I've never seen this film whats it like? I've been on the look out for it for quite a while now with no success. Any clues as to the content of the film (vehicles and uniforms, are they accurate?) or where i could get it??

Doug

Panzermahn

Post by Panzermahn » 03 Sep 2004 10:06

Curd Jürgens, who played all the remaining Generals and Field Marshals that Wolfgang Preiss didn't have the time to do, or so it seems...

Curt Jurgens was General Gunther Blumentritt in The Longest Day and Baron von Richter in Battle of Britain..He was one of the few german actors who could speak good english without heavy German accent like Hannes Messemer or Hardy Kruger..Jurgen Prochnow also speaks good english..FYI, Curt jurgens was a imprisoned by the Nazis in Dachau during WW2

Wolfgang Preiss was General Max Pemsel in The Longest day and Field Marshal von rundstedt in A Bridge too Far.....

But, my favourite all-time portrayal of a German soldier with his indistinguishable German-accented English had to be Sig Ruman and Feldwebel Johann Sebastian Schulz in Stalag 17...You had to watch it...He really deserves an oscar than William holden

HPL2008

Post by HPL2008 » 03 Sep 2004 11:20

Joachim Chan wrote:Curt Jurgens was General Gunther Blumentritt in The Longest Day and Baron von Richter in Battle of Britain.

...and many other officers as well; but I think his most memorable performances were U-boat captain von Stolberg in "The Enemy Below" and the tragical Luftwaffe General Harras in "Des Teufels General". (based on Carl Zuckmayer's well-known theater play, which in turn was based on the fate of Ernst Udet)

Joachim Chan wrote:Wolfgang Preiss was General Max Pemsel in The Longest day and Field Marshal von rundstedt in A Bridge too Far.....

Yup, and he also played von Brauchitsch in "The Winds Of War" and "War And Remembrance", Jodl in "Ike", Rommel in "Raid On Rommel", Kesselring in "Anzio" and Stauffenberg in "Der 20. Juli", to name some more of his historical roles. His portrayals of fictional German officers were even more numerous... And he started doing it in the Third Reich itself, by the way, appearing as a flight physician in the German 1943 movie "Besatzung Dora"!
Last edited by HPL2008 on 03 Sep 2004 14:03, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Movies, games & other fiction”