Best portrait of a german soldier on a movie

Discussions on WW2 and pre-WW2 related movies, games, military art and other fiction.
HPL2008

Post by HPL2008 » 13 Sep 2004 19:39

Hamirubi wrote:Byrne indeed. I also find the Gestapo-man in the first Indiana Jones to be a very convincing agent.

The late Ronald Lacey, a good actor, yes.
My two favorite scenes with him in this film:

- The one where he confronts Marion, and he seems to pull a pair of nunchakus out of his coat and we all think "uh-oh".... and then it turns out to be some collapsible travel-gear coat hanger - Don't leave Gestapo headquarters without one!

- The one where he is seen on that hot, Mediterranean desert-type island, still wearing his dark suit, leather coat and black hat, obviously suffering from the heat A LOT.... But it can't be helped: A real Gestapo man wears this type of garb everywhere and anytime, as we all know from so many war movies, right? Really, a very nice touch of self-conscious humor on Spielberg's part, there, as if to remind us that the film is clichéd on purpose and not to be taken too seriously.

Rolf-Gunter Kolb

IMHO. The best portrayed German Soldier in a movie was:

Post by Rolf-Gunter Kolb » 15 Sep 2004 00:04

John Gavin as Corporal Ernst Graeber in the excellent movie: "A Time To Love and A Time To Die."

This movie was filmed in color in 1955 and was adapted from the excellent Erich Maria Remarque book of a similar name: "A Time To Live and A Time To Die."

The movie starts out with a German Infantry Company on the Eastern Front. John Gavin was one of several American Actors who portrayed German Soldiers along with of course German actors.

Keenan Wynn was the rich Corporal. A very young Dana Jim Hutton, as the young German private who commits suicide because of the guilt he felt at being forced into shooting a "Russian Partisan."

Jock Mahoney was the Companies Crack Machinegunner.

Thayer David played Bender, a minor Nazi Party Leader.

Erich Maria Remarque portrayed Graebers former School Teacher.

Lilo Pulver played the part of Graebers soon to be wife.

An excellent film.

Anyway, my choice as the best ever portrayed German Soldier has to go to John Gavin in this fine film.
Last edited by Rolf-Gunter Kolb on 19 Sep 2004 23:10, edited 1 time in total.

AgentBach

Post by AgentBach » 19 Sep 2004 04:53

Oskar Werner in Der Letzte Akt.

Keltixx

Post by Keltixx » 19 Sep 2004 13:40

For out and out scary, nothing beats Kenneth Branagh as Reinhard Heydrich in "Conspiracy". Talk about the banality of evil expressed by the Nazis. They could have been discussing putting in new carpeting or funiture or a business merger. Stanley Tucci also chilling in this one as Adolf Eichmann.

Love Jurgen Prochnow in "Das Boot". Prochnow also played a German officer in the rather horrid horror film "The Keep". Prochnow about the only bright spot in the movie. BTW, the novel on which the story is based, by F. Paul Wilson, is excellent if you like good and creepy, but intelligent horror novels.

Donald Pleasance as Himmler in "The Eagle Has Landed" is also scary. Again, the banality of evil. Love the film, btw -- sort of a guilty pleasure.

Ciao - Jeffrey

Rolf-Gunter Kolb

Oskar Werner.

Post by Rolf-Gunter Kolb » 19 Sep 2004 23:13

Oskar Werner was great as the character nicknamed Happy, in the movie Decision Before Dawn.

Happy, was a Luftwaffe Medical Obergefreiter who was captured by the Americans and was recruited to become a spy for the allies. One cannot beat this fine film made just five years after the war. This film also has everything original from uniforms to vehicles to rubble.

AgentBach

Re: Oskar Werner.

Post by AgentBach » 20 Sep 2004 00:18

Rolf-Gunter Kolb wrote:Oskar Werner was great as the character nicknamed Happy, in the movie Decision Before Dawn.

Happy, was a Luftwaffe Medical Obergefreiter who was captured by the Americans and was recruited to become a spy for the allies. One cannot beat this fine film made just five years after the war. This film also has everything original from uniforms to vehicles to rubble.

Awww. Oskar Werner looked so adorable in that movie for some reason. Maybe because he reminds me of a doll.

G. Trifkovic
Forum Staff

Post by G. Trifkovic » 20 Nov 2004 18:58

Hard question-let's see...

Jürgen Prochnow-we all know where...

Hard Krüger in Bridge too far and Neretva (in the role of veteran german officer).

Maximillian Schell and James Mason in The Cross of Iron.

Donald Pleasance-best Himmler ever.

Not to mention Kurt Jürgens,James Coburne,Ed Harris...

Cheers,

Gaius

Shc

Post by Shc » 21 Nov 2004 00:31

Chuck_jm wrote:Yes, Ralph Fiennes did great as Amon Goeth, i totally agree.

The part when a jewish architect girl explained him the whole building or whatever they were doing had to be done again and he refused, shot her and then did what she said was great.

Chuck/

Yeah...
That's probably my fav scene. It was sooo freaking unexpected!!!!

Kaiserzeit
Financial supporter

Post by Kaiserzeit » 27 Nov 2004 06:10

I think just about every one of my favorite war movies has already been discussed, so I'll just through out a few more where German soldiers/officers were portrayed as human beings:

Yul Brynner as Baron von Grunen in "Triple Cross", also starring Gert Fröbe (aka Goldfinger) as Col. Steinhager.

Marlon Brando as Lt. Christian Diestl in "The Young Lions" (Maximilian Schell plays the "bad German" in this one).

Thomas Kretschmann as Capt. Wilhelm Hosenfeld in "The Pianist".

Regards,

Kaiserzeit

Station

Post by Station » 27 Nov 2004 08:23

Is this non-German actors only?

Cause man, the whole crew in Das Boot felt very realistic

Also, just about everyone at the conference table in Conspiracy.

AgentBach, must be the first time I've seen someone else using the avatar I made :lol:

Great choice! 8)

Beppo Schmidt

Post by Beppo Schmidt » 27 Nov 2004 21:38

The best film Nazis I've seen:

Ralph Fiennes as Goeth in Schindler's List

Ian McKellen as Kurt/Arthur in Apt Pupil

Brian Cox as Goering in Nuremberg

Gebirgsjaeger

Or this one?

Post by Gebirgsjaeger » 28 Nov 2004 00:47

It´s Hans-Christian Blech in "08/15" which most of you won´t know I guess.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

G. Trifkovic
Forum Staff

Post by G. Trifkovic » 28 Nov 2004 06:20

I read the novel,and it's great!
Haven't seen the film,though...:(

Gaius

Gebirgsjaeger

Post by Gebirgsjaeger » 28 Nov 2004 21:53

Hi Rommel!

You should try edonkey, all three episodes are available there!

John W
Financial supporter

Post by John W » 30 Nov 2004 05:49

Beppo Schmidt wrote:Ian McKellen as Kurt/Arthur in Apt Pupil
Seriously, seriously under rated that role!

When he begins fake-marching and then stops for that salute - the look on his face is indescribable.

Fantastic role!

Return to “Movies, games & other fiction”