Best War Movie Ever

Discussions on WW2 and pre-WW2 related movies, games, military art and other fiction.
Grünherz

best war movie

Post by Grünherz » 17 Oct 2004, 03:42

WillKellett wrote:
Mako wrote:The Thin Red Line or Platoon.
only complete idiots like platoon

makes all US grunts look like druggie rapists, they took every bad acount that ever happened in the war and smushed it together

what a load of bull
I thought that it was a great "war" movie in that it portrayed some of the horror and fear that that the soldiers felt.
I don't think that I'm a COMPLETE idiot--maybe a bit. I wasn't there but it conveys to me the idea of what it must have been like to have been in combat and to be scared. Sure, the story-line is a bit exagerated but it does give a non-veteran an idea of what must have been experienced by some of the "front-line" troops.
My opinion is that a somewhat realistic depiction of war is valuable in teaching us what war is really about--death and destruction.
Respectfully, do you have an opinion about what a "good" war movie is--or maybe I missed an earlier post?
Tom

Polynikes

Post by Polynikes » 17 Oct 2004, 16:35

All war movies made by one country will attempt to demonise the enemy (or at least make him faceless and so less than human).

Audiences are confused when they don't know who the bad guy is.

A movie that is different is "Tora Tora Tora" - the American scenes were made by a US film company and a Japanese film company made the Japanese scenes. Altogether a well made, almost documentary like.

The result is a historically accurate and interesting account of the attack on Pearl Harbor - however as a movie to entertain the teenage, video game age, cinema ticket buyers, it probably sucks total boredom.

WillKellett

Re: best war movie

Post by WillKellett » 17 Oct 2004, 20:00

tscrawford wrote:
WillKellett wrote:

makes all US grunts look like druggie rapists, they took every bad acount that ever happened in the war and smushed it together

what a load of bull
I thought that it was a great "war" movie in that it portrayed some of the horror and fear that that the soldiers felt.
I don't think that I'm a COMPLETE idiot--maybe a bit. I wasn't there but it conveys to me the idea of what it must have been like to have been in combat and to be scared. Sure, the story-line is a bit exagerated but it does give a non-veteran an idea of what must have been experienced by some of the "front-line" troops.
My opinion is that a somewhat realistic depiction of war is valuable in teaching us what war is really about--death and destruction.
Respectfully, do you have an opinion about what a "good" war movie is--or maybe I missed an earlier post?
Tom
Sir, this makes a platoon in veitnam look like abunch of punks.

Never would u have a predicament like u have with the two sergants, they would be taken care of immediatly, its like a gang war in the platoon, what the h....

cyberdaemon

Post by cyberdaemon » 20 Oct 2004, 13:14

Doggowitz wrote:Starship Troopers is intentionally a satire of Facism, Militarism and Nazism.
The Uniforms are 100% modern-Looking SS/Gestapo Uniforms.

The Logo is the Reichsadler, the caps are m43s the collar patches SS the leather coat is Gestapo-like.

Absolutely brilliant satire on Nazism and totalitarism.
exept it doesnt have a racism in it , because theres alots of olored ppl aswell as whites.

Filippov 125

Post by Filippov 125 » 20 Oct 2004, 18:03

cyberdaemon wrote:
Doggowitz wrote:Starship Troopers is intentionally a satire of Facism, Militarism and Nazism.
The Uniforms are 100% modern-Looking SS/Gestapo Uniforms.

The Logo is the Reichsadler, the caps are m43s the collar patches SS the leather coat is Gestapo-like.

Absolutely brilliant satire on Nazism and totalitarism.
exept it doesnt have a racism in it , because theres alots of olored ppl aswell as whites.

as Doggowitz also stated:
The Nazi Racism is hidden in the will to extermiante the Bugs. Bugs are nothing other than the 'inferior' race.
there were plenty of non-germans who fought in and alongside the Wehrmacht and SS (even "olored ppl"):

http://forum.axishistory.com/viewtopic.php?t=45337
http://bka-roa.chat.ru/ostvolker_eng.htm

Yevgeniy B.

Post by Yevgeniy B. » 21 Oct 2004, 02:29

"Stalingrad", and "The longest day" "When trumpets fade" and "Bridge of Remagen" i guess

Grünherz

Re: best war movie

Post by Grünherz » 21 Oct 2004, 05:30

WillKellett wrote:
tscrawford wrote:
WillKellett wrote:

what a load of bull
Tom
Sir, this makes a platoon in veitnam look like abunch of punks.

Never would u have a predicament like u have with the two sergants, they would be taken care of immediatly, its like a gang war in the platoon, what the h....
Gee, how many quotes can we get in; a record?
I used to work with a Vietnam vet who actually saw a superior being "fragged" (he couldn't do anything about it at the time). Somehow this makes me believe that what happened in the MOVIE "Platoon" might have happened. Nevertheless, I thought it was a really great, although scary, movie.
Tom

Doggowitz

Post by Doggowitz » 21 Oct 2004, 15:39

Nazi Germany was i.e. racist to the jews. the racism in Starship troopers is the extermination of the bugs.

Please dont play that stupid.

Sean K

Post by Sean K » 21 Oct 2004, 23:28

Cross of Iron is my personal favorite along with the 1943 Wehrmacht training film "Men Against Tanks". Although it was a training film it was Hollywood quality. It basically shows through a movie how to blow up Russian tanks, and not with any sort of power point presentation, they actually blow up the tanks with teller mines, panzerfaust, etc. Both of these films are the coolest ones about the Eastern Front i've seen.

Richard Hargreaves

Post by Richard Hargreaves » 21 Oct 2004, 23:57

In no particular order:-

Das Boot
Paths of Glory
Zulu
Tora Tora Tora
Bridge on the River Kwai

As historical curiosities:-
Sieg im Westen
Feuertaufe
Kolberg

Unfairly maligned as Nazi propaganda:-
Olympia

Wolfkin

Post by Wolfkin » 22 Oct 2004, 00:04

Hello!

Hamburger Hill was a much better Vietnam War film than Platoon. A more realistic view of the front-line soldier.

Cheers,

Wolfkin

General Patton

Post by General Patton » 22 Oct 2004, 03:53

Hello,
A very good friend of mine was a Lt. in the 506th during Vietnam. He fought at Hamburger Hill among other places. He doesnt think it's a good movie. He also doesnt like Platoon. I think he thinks We Were Soldiers is a very good representation.
Cheers
Mac

Wolfkin

Post by Wolfkin » 22 Oct 2004, 04:32

Hello General Patton!

That is indeed interesting! I have read where many Veterans thought that Hamburger Hill was very well done. Interesting indeed, perhaps Hamburger Hill was thought well of, until We Were Soldiers came out?

Cheers,

Wolfkin

BAZ

Post by BAZ » 22 Oct 2004, 07:51

Hmm...We Were Soldiers seems to me to be harking back to the old days of John Wayne and Audie Murphy type of jingoistic bravura.
Mel Gibson, I think, is too self interested to play a character objectively.
Now, Full Metal Jacket!!!! THERE'S a movie!!

General Patton

Post by General Patton » 23 Oct 2004, 03:55

Yeah, I can understand why we were soldiers can be seen as "john wayne", but he sticks by it. Interestingly, i know another man, a ranger in nam for 3 tours (and did 25 in the army) says that the opening scene of SPR is the closest thing hes seen to combat. However, both of them hold the view that they hate war movies because they'll either hate it becuase its inaccurate or hate it because it is accurate. Regards,
Patton

Return to “Movies, games & other fiction”