What non-german actor portarayed Nazi soldier/ officer best

Discussions on WW2 and pre-WW2 related movies, games, military art and other fiction.
webtoy100

fun question!

Post by webtoy100 » 13 Nov 2002, 01:59

Hmm - this is an interesting one!

I am going to nominate Roger Allam, who wont mean much to many, but he's done quite lot on British TV dramas. He played Hitler in the wonderful 'Speer' theatrical production that ran for a few months up till July 2000 at the National Theatre on London's South Bank. It was loosely based on Gitta Sereny's book.

It was a fabulous production which used high-teccery, excellent sound, newreels, the works. It also, pleasingly, had an eye for detail, with German air-raid sirens sounding correctly (ie not like the British ones - if you know what I'm talking about, you know what I mean).

Allam was brilliant as Hitler, capturing the hypnotising power of a European uber-fuhrer that he had over Speer and the rest - I suspect he'll be asked to play him again on screen one day. Vaguely looked like him as well.

I also nominate Donald Pleasance as Himmler in Eagle has Landed - an excellent air of understated menace that, from what I've read of HH, is very accurate.

Finally, and I know its cheating as he's German - but how about Maximillian Schell in 'Bridge Too Far' playing Grf Bittrich, and looking very smart in his uniform.

"Nein - FeldMarschall MODEL" [SLAMS DOWN PHONE]

dasboot

Post by dasboot » 13 Nov 2002, 06:00

My vote also goes to Ed Harris in his role in "Enemy at the Gates". I wasn't to impressed with the movie, but Harris made it come alive. He is an excellent actor and did look good in that uniform.

P.S. I'm not gay

Hadrian

Post by Hadrian » 15 Nov 2002, 09:51

Peter O`Tool in "Night of the Generals", he played an SS-General. Those images with him in Warsaw standing up calm in a car with soldiers beeing shot around him and ordering "Phase 1, Phase 2" are realy nice. I would like to see Arnold Schwarzneger in the role of a Nazi, perhaps Otto Skorzenyi, the guy who freed Musolini with a paratrooper Kommando. Arnold has the looks and the right accent :lol: . Don`t forget Chaplin :lol:

R.W. Black

Post by R.W. Black » 20 Nov 2002, 04:42

Ralph Fiennes in Schindler's List as Amon Goethe was a gas! Amazing hair...loved the stuttering. I found the Komandant an amusing and cruel fellow.

RWB

dasboot

Post by dasboot » 20 Nov 2002, 07:26

Was Ralph Fiennes the same actor who was one of the main characters in "Red Dragon", the evil dude?

If so, I'll agree with you 100%. An excellent actor.

Did you see the new movie that he is in, will J-LO. What a stinker. :?

I quess every one has to make a crappy movie once in a while.

Matt Horn

Post by Matt Horn » 21 Nov 2002, 14:00

Ed Harris in Enemy At The Gates

James Mason as Rommel in the Desert Fox

von thoma

Re: What non-german actor portarayed Nazi soldier/ officer best

Post by von thoma » 09 Mar 2019, 06:32

Jean Paul Belmondo in " L'as des as " ( 1982 )
Attachments
image_bonus_A_0203104627.jpg
image_bonus_A_0203104627.jpg (70.75 KiB) Viewed 1595 times
" The right to believe is the right of those who don't know "

Return to “Movies, games & other fiction”