Original German vehicles in Movies

Discussions on WW2 and pre-WW2 related movies, games, military art and other fiction.
Lustmolch

Post by Lustmolch » 08 Aug 2003, 18:31

OberHund wrote:Interesting thread and I have a question

The film "Wheels of Terror" any relation to the book by Sven Hassel?
It is extremely loosely based on the book (and I mean loosely)!

OberHund

Post by OberHund » 08 Aug 2003, 21:43

Thank you :)

Blistex

Post by Blistex » 24 Sep 2003, 10:58

In The Pianist, there is a spot on Panzer III (possibly N ver.). I'm not sure if it's a model or computer generated, but they sure went to a lot of trouble to make it look like the real thing. They even had the armour skirts on it! A first! for realism in my experience.

Madsen

Re: wheels of terror

Post by Madsen » 05 Oct 2003, 23:38

ruma wrote:what tank do the "hero"group have in the movie Wheels of Terror. In the books they're Tigers, but in the movie it certainly isn't Tiger...
27. Panzer Regiment had in most of the books Panzer IV and Tiger but in the film i think they use a Jagdpanther.(looks very similar to a model of Jagdpanther that i have.) Bad film but a must for Hassel Fans like me :lol:

"Patton" was filmed in Spain, partly because they use the Spanish Army as statist. and i think that at that time the spanish army was eq with mostly german/american eq. i think i read that they took over allot of eq from US and also some from Wehrmacht.

Blistex

Re: wheels of terror

Post by Blistex » 28 Oct 2003, 19:18

Madsen wrote:
ruma wrote:what tank do the "hero"group have in the movie Wheels of Terror. In the books they're Tigers, but in the movie it certainly isn't Tiger...
27. Panzer Regiment had in most of the books Panzer IV and Tiger but in the film i think they use a Jagdpanther.(looks very similar to a model of Jagdpanther that i have.) Bad film but a must for Hassel Fans like me :lol:

"Patton" was filmed in Spain, partly because they use the Spanish Army as statist. and i think that at that time the spanish army was eq with mostly german/american eq. i think i read that they took over allot of eq from US and also some from Wehrmacht.
There sure wern't any german vehicles in Patton from what I could see. Just Vietnam era US tanks painted greyish with a large Wehrmacht symbols on them.

Panzerrat

Post by Panzerrat » 19 Nov 2003, 19:27

Michael Dorosh wrote:The answer to the burning question is simple; they don't.

It's a matter of perspective. Put a drum of burning liquid inside a halftrack, or in a shallow pan on the back of a tank, and shoot from an angle that makes it look like the vehicle is on fire.
yes this is one technique but not always....this is the SPR Tiger Rigged for explosion & then the end results.....BTW the Other SPR "Tiger" was autioned off & bought by a Reenactor in England, the Burnt out SPR Tiger ended up in the Bovington Back lot where it remained until it was bought by the Band of Brothers production company, repaird & used in that production.....oh yeah Here is the Marder....
Attachments
ss-marder3-03-large.jpg
ss-marder3-03-large.jpg (62.4 KiB) Viewed 3982 times
ss-tiger-08-large.jpg
ss-tiger-08-large.jpg (44.97 KiB) Viewed 3983 times
Resize of Tigersmall.jpg
Resize of Tigersmall.jpg (7.63 KiB) Viewed 3982 times

Lipfert

Post by Lipfert » 02 Jan 2004, 01:28

Guilherme.B.Dias wrote:Just asking in Stalingrad 1993 was those soviet tanks real or just fake in the end when the germans fight off those tanks?
Those T-34 where the real things. They were bought from Eastern European countries (Tschekkoslovakia if I remember correctly) and used in winter scenes, which were filmed in Finland. After the filming they sold those tanks to Finnish museums and collectors.

BTW, if you want to know about another real things, in the film "The eagle has landed" in the beginning of the film Michael Caine is trying to save an Jewish girl. Simultaneously you see a train pass by in which there are several Sturmgeschutzes on the way to Eastern Front. They are also real original things. Finland received over 50 of them during 1944 and some where still used in military exercises during sixties. The film company used them in the film. Nowadays they are in museums and some of them where traded back to German museums, which did not have them.

Ramza

Post by Ramza » 09 Jan 2004, 08:35

uhm, call me crazy, but that third picture that was posted by Panzerrat... am I seeing things or is that a piece of wood with a black box painted on it which is supposed to be the drivers view slit?

Javichu

Post by Javichu » 16 Jan 2004, 23:42

"Patton" was indeed filmed in Spain as "La Batalla de Las Ardenas" was (Don´t know the english title) in both films "Tigers" were depicted by M47 and M48 and American stuff just played its own role (Chaffee,Ht,Several Dodge command cars) and I think that the only German original equipment was the trailers were the german staff is planning the Ardennes Ofensive and maybe some 88 and PaK40 :P
Spain had many German tanks (Pz4 and StuG3)Trucks,Motobikes Combos,Artillery...But by the time these films were done most of them were long out of service...An exception were the planes used in "The Battle of britain" mostly Griffon engined Bf109 and He111 (Buchones and Casa 1111) that expertly piloted by Spanish pilots played as themselves in that film :wink:

gasmasktrooper

Post by gasmasktrooper » 20 Jan 2004, 15:32

Theres two tigers in "kellys heroes" i dont remmember it to much but they did look really accurate,i think! They may be fake, but its one of the only old war films with accurate war elements like the sherman and instead of using american 30cal brownings for the germans, stuff like that this film stand out.

gasmasktrooper

Post by gasmasktrooper » 20 Jan 2004, 15:34

The war film with mark hamill and lee marvin, ive forgotten the name of it but im sure they use a leopard as a tiger, its pretty obvious its not a tiger.

gasmasktrooper

Post by gasmasktrooper » 20 Jan 2004, 15:41

Theres a panzer 3 in enemy at the gates, which looks very good, and a T34 mock-up in the back near the end.

Necros

Post by Necros » 20 Jan 2004, 15:48

I think the film you're thinking about is "The Big Red One" and it is defenatly not a Tiger tank.

Necros

gasmasktrooper

Post by gasmasktrooper » 20 Jan 2004, 15:52

yeh, thats the film, but i already knew it wasnt a tiger

rh_LiteVixeN

Post by rh_LiteVixeN » 04 Mar 2004, 19:33

are they careful not to damage old historical tanks :o

or doesn't it really matter?

Return to “Movies, games & other fiction”