panzer games

Discussions on WW2 and pre-WW2 related movies, games, military art and other fiction.
Rommel

panzer games

Post by Rommel » 26 Mar 2002 03:30

sorry I know this is not a topic but I really want to get panzer general 2.As the internet is my only resource at the moment I hope one of you has an ftp or http connection so I can download the game.Thanks

Angelo

Wargames

Post by Angelo » 02 Apr 2002 06:20

Try this one:

http://www.the-underdogs.org/index.php

They have more than 3000 games...many with manuals and cracks too (most are just abandoned games).

If you don't find it there chances are it's gone for good :oops:

Good luck!

Angelo

Angelo

Panzer General II

Post by Angelo » 02 Apr 2002 06:28

There's 1 there still left! Fly and get it before they take it from their downloadable board. (Usually they stay there for weeks or months but there were cases when they just disappeared after a few days)

Good luck!

Angelo

admfisher

Gaming

Post by admfisher » 02 Apr 2002 06:45

I tried PG I, II, IIID, Panzer Connader and all of its patches. Then onto CC3 and 4. To tell the truth I still have not found one that really is satisfying yet.
So I stick to CFS 2 now days, I can hardy wait for CFS 3.

Angelo

War Games

Post by Angelo » 02 Apr 2002 12:28

As for me, I found the following 2 systems real nice:

- The Campaign Series (Eastern Front II - West Front, etc. ) at tactical level

- The Operational Art Of War (A Century Of Warfare) at mid-tac and strategic level

I must say I love to use them both as means to "reconstruct" WWII operations for further study rather than just shoot 'em up kind of games.
And the possibilities, mapping, customizing units and their functions, and establishing victory levels, sound pretty good to me.

Of course, I was talking about ground operations, where the air and sea components are either marginal or absent.

Angelo

admfisher

Fighting Steel

Post by admfisher » 02 Apr 2002 17:35

Fighting Steel when I have it running smooth is some fun and if you want to expand it you have the two sources now the.
There is the addon ships patches, and the site german-navy.de
has a download to allow you to run the the game in a global sense.

My biggest dispute with AI is that it is rarely right on. In CC4 a Panther at less 500m would not be able to take out a M4A? Vet with any shots unless it was a LUCKY side shot.

Angelo

Fighting Steel

Post by Angelo » 02 Apr 2002 22:37

I know what you mean and right now the A/I is far from being at top level.
It's a matter of fine tuning, of course, dependent on a lot of variables and I know it's not that easy, at least at commercial level.

True too that too many times players give for granted what in real life wasn't sure at all.

See, with your example, if that happens 70% or more of the times, you'd better forget it, if we're on a 40% to 50% of the times I'd make sure I wasn't quarrelling with my wife before I started playing :) , but if we are on a scale from, say, 20% or 30%, I would say it's rather fair. See, what we are usually bound to think is that the shooter has all possible advantages not to miss the target (clear sight, great markmanship, lightning reaction, maybe even an ambush posture and, why not, that little bit of luck for all the other elements I left behind :) ) while the poor dumb ass playing the enemy should hardly be able to pull the throttle of his damn fish-can ...

So, we'll have to be patient for some more years till they'll give us a true-to-life system to adjust that darn A/I the way we please. And yet I think we'll still be kicking and cussing each time we miss our target.

Enjoy!

Angelo

Gwynn Compton

Post by Gwynn Compton » 02 Apr 2002 22:47

The game I like experimenting with is Matrix Games redo of War In Russia, originally by SSI. I find it's a brilliant game to simulate the entire Ostfront. If anyones got it and is interested in a PBEM game, just email me and we'll organise it :)

admfisher

Super AI

Post by admfisher » 03 Apr 2002 02:17

Panzer Commander Patch v3 I did the charts for the vehicle stats.
In that game it was simple to play around, I put a 88L56 in a Czech 38t! Funny how fast the early campaign went by after that.
The non driveable no problem.

Fighting Steel I got to work with three others to do the historical background on all the ships. We busted our backs working with SSI and Divide By Zero, to get the ship as close as we could.

The problem right now is there seems to be so many different ways to make a game. The quality can be no problem if the maker know that there is going to be a big enough market. But with FS we knew when we started that the game would only attract certain buyers.

So I guess if we could agree to stick to say three games of each type instead of the tons of different ones we would force the game makers into coming up with quality.

My experiance with CFS and CFS2 has shown me that no matter whether we drive tanks, fly planes or shoot big guns in BB's the makers can make a good product. But as it is we are shooting ourselves in our own foot.

Return to “Movies, games & other fiction”