Best WWII Game ever?

Discussions on WW2 and pre-WW2 related movies, games, military art and other fiction.
dardra

Re: Best WWII Game ever?

Post by dardra » 27 Jul 2010, 06:25

Best ww2 games to play are:

Red orchestra with Darkest Hour mod - Can buy on steam
Il-2 Sturmovik 1946 *get latest mods ie 4.08m + 4.09m + Up 2.1 , and play on Hyperlobby for multiplayer*
Men of War

KasparHauser

Post by KasparHauser » 27 Jul 2010, 08:12

LWD wrote:
KasparHauser wrote:I have no idea what you're trying to say but I will ignore it.
Ok, I'll try to be clearer. There are many games that let you play as the axis. So the one you mentioned is hardly unique in this featur thus hardly deserving of the title of "best" even if that is a good defintion of "best". However the number of individuals that are likely to agree that ability to play as the axis is the sole determinator as to whether or not a game deservese the title of "best" is likely to be vanishingly small.

Your may take both of the above as a polite way of saying that your post was niether informative or well concieved.
I'm going to try to be polite to you because I love Michigan and it's people. I actually have never played another game were you can play as the axis in multiplayer (but I'm sure there are others). Maybe instead of saying that this game is the best I should have said that, personally, I enjoy it the most. That is because I grow up on the game and I have a lot of fond memories with it.

LWD

Post by LWD » 27 Jul 2010, 14:19

KasparHauser wrote: ...I actually have never played another game were you can play as the axis in multiplayer (but I'm sure there are others).
Indeed. Some are even mentioned in this thread. Although I'll note that multiplayer is a new factor. I suspect you are also talking about either PC or console games but that's not mentioned. Most board games allow or indeed require someone to play the axis side for instance and most require tow players. Some even support computer play although these tend to be neglected by the computer game only crowd.
Maybe instead of saying that this game is the best I should have said that, personally, I enjoy it the most. That is because I grow up on the game and I have a lot of fond memories with it.
That's a very reasonable position.

KasparHauser

Post by KasparHauser » 27 Jul 2010, 16:11

Thanks for understanding.

I play Battlefield 1942 on PC.

german_grey

Post by german_grey » 29 Jul 2010, 19:02

I voted for a new game :

Achtung panzer Kharkov 1943

I recommend it to all hardcore ww2 fans!

Can play on german side

YOU will love it. :)

Here's the gameplay:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJMnIYG30pw

KasparHauser

Post by KasparHauser » 29 Jul 2010, 21:14

I'll check it out!

JASGripen

Post by JASGripen » 06 Sep 2010, 22:19

Hearts of Iron III with the SF expansion is very playable at the moment. I can recommend it for anyone who is into grand strategy games and WWII.

Baltasar

Post by Baltasar » 07 Sep 2010, 13:07

Hearts of Iron III has one major flaw though: it's supply system. I've experienced basically countless situations where supply doesn't flow although it should be going through without probs. The AI is even worse of, eg the Japanese. Once their army starts to attack mainland China, they got problems without end, simply because the supplies are delivered a) to the wrong port and b) are not moved from that port to the troops at all.

Paradox has insulted people by suggesting to use an 'arcarde' mode which negates the supply flow problem completely. Frankly, these guys should go out there and try to figure out what planet they are on currently. Programming a supply system where everything is produced in your captial and has to be shipped from there everywhere else will inevitably run into problems the more units one fields. The whole idea is not sound from a pure mathematical point of view, yet these 'people' insist they didn't see any problems at all. Seems more like they just, yet again, won't admit their idea is crap.

Next thing is the lack of balance between hard and soft attack / defense. It's more economical to just stack on soft attack/defense and neglecting hard attack/defense altogether instead of trying to balance things in a way it would seem historically reasonable. A pure infantry army can defeat a pure tank unit on open plains simply because of that flaw, although it would seem rather unreasonable to assume so.

Ken S.

Post by Ken S. » 14 Oct 2010, 07:52

Avalon Hill's "Air Force".

Guaporense
Banned

Post by Guaporense » 15 Oct 2010, 03:36

I think that there haven't been any really good WW2 game. The best pc games are always on a science fiction or fantasy setting.
"In tactics, as in strategy, superiority in numbers is the most common element of victory." - Carl von Clausewitz

LWD

Post by LWD » 18 Oct 2010, 16:08

Guaporense wrote:I think that there haven't been any really good WW2 game. The best pc games are always on a science fiction or fantasy setting.
You really do present some warped logic in your posts. Why does the fact that you think the best pc games are sf mean that there aren't any "really good WW2" games? Especially considering that many of the best WWII games mentioned here are board games.

Robert Rojas
In memoriam

RE: Best World War Two Game Ever?

Post by Robert Rojas » 19 Oct 2010, 06:35

Greetings to both citizen Guaporense and the community as a whole. Well sir, in light of your installment of Friday - October 15, 2010 - 2:36am, old Uncle Bob was curious if your assertion OR assetions gravitating upon the genre of computer orientated wargaming products also pertained to the genre of old fashioned board wargaming products? And yes, apart from THE traditional old fashioned board wargaming product, there is certainly a healthy number of science fiction and fantasy board gaming products out on the commercial market. Incidentally, old yours truly naturally assumes (rightly OR wrongly) that you are technically aware of the existence of the genre of the old fashioned board wargame. I look forward to your sage input on this topic that is near and dear to me. Well, that's my latest two Yankee cents worth on this expansive topic of interest - FOR NOW ANYWAY. In anycase, I would like to bid you an especially copaetic day down in ever exotic Brazil.

Best Regards,
Uncle Bob :idea: :|
"It is well that war is so terrible, or we should grow too fond of it" - Robert E. Lee

Luftflotte2

Post by Luftflotte2 » 01 Jan 2011, 01:18

Well, I play A LOT of video games but some of my favorites are;

~Blitzkrieg 1 & 2 (With the map editor; so I can make my own battles and campaigns!! :D)

~The CoD series; though sometimes inaccurate (laughing at myself for forgetting that's a game! :roll: )

~I liked Battlefield 1942 Road to Rome except the planes are hard to control and I fell that there sometimes is little space for maneuver.

Medal of Honor Pacific Assault, and Airborne were pretty good and sometimes frustrating :x :lol: . I loved the music on Airborne though. :D
THE traditional old fashioned board wargaming product, there is certainly a healthy number of science fiction and fantasy board gaming products out on the commercial market.
And yes Robert I've played quite a few of these too, but they always take forever to set up; ex. Axis and Allies. I set that game up to play with my brother; took 30min or so to put all the pieces on, then he said he didn't want to play..... :x
I played a board game called Uboat and that was quite fun, took about 4 hours to finish it though. :|

Saxon Cross

Post by Saxon Cross » 01 Jan 2011, 17:47

Steel Panthers has been constantly redesigned, updated and modded for over 15 years. Which must be some sort of indication that it's one of the best WWII games available.

Personally, I think it's the best turn based WWII wargame.

Steve Hoog
In memoriam

Post by Steve Hoog » 21 Jan 2012, 23:52

I continue to fall back on all early MOH series.

I still roll with the PS2, but also now some of the Xbox is backward on the 360.

My Vanguard disc has disappeared, so I may acquire a new copy of that as I now miss playing that too.

Might mention again that I have a German theme 360 gaming clan; we mainly play the new COD series.

If there is any interest you feel free to contact me.

360 Game Tag "SSP Sturmgewehr"

Return to “Movies, games & other fiction”