Best Stalingrad Movie - German Version

Discussions on WW2 and pre-WW2 related movies, games, military art and other fiction.
Der Maresal
Banned

Best Stalingrad Movie - German Version

Post by Der Maresal » 08 Sep 2002, 00:16

For those of you who get frightened and your hair raises when you hear the word Stalingrad - you will be even more frightened when you see this movie. It is the best Stalingrad movie yet made, and one of the most realistic and sad movies.
It is made by the same team that created the best War movie - Das Boot -so this movie cannnot even be compared to the Hollywood junk ennemy at the gates - This film is from the German perspective, and it features frightening Tank battles - including a horrific scene where an infantry man is hit directly by a tank shell and shattered in half - close your eyes - it's not pretty.

It is hard to find especially in north America where it no longer exists on VCR/Tape - only on DVD you may still find it. - In Europe however it is a different story.
You will freeze on your chair by the end of it, and you will remain there unable to move. 4 1/2 Stars I give it - 2nd best war movie ever.

This is what it looks like - the second cover is the French Version - but same movie. Obtain the German version if you can -
You will not be dissepointed. Enjoy.
Attachments
stalingradfilm.jpg
stalingradfilm.jpg (250.45 KiB) Viewed 3156 times
Last edited by Der Maresal on 08 Sep 2002, 03:32, edited 1 time in total.

Christian Ankerstjerne
Forum Staff

Post by Christian Ankerstjerne » 08 Sep 2002, 01:54

A very good movie in deed, can only be recommended!

You can get both the DVD and VHS at amazon.com...

(but be sure to use amazon.co.uk or amazon.fr. or amazon.de if you live in Germany, or other Area 2 countires, and you're going to buy the DVD ;))

Christian

kobold

Post by kobold » 08 Sep 2002, 02:39

my local dvd shops still only stock the DUBBED into english version- the retards don't even admit theres a german language version-yet showing them that it was made in German, they still don't admit it.
I'm gonna have to buy it online -or rather geta friend to use his credit card online for me since i don't have a credit card of my own.

Subtitled is the only way to watch a foreign language movie to get the full effect of it.

Dave

I stull shudder at watching a freinds copy of Akira dubbed - man that was awful.

Der Maresal
Banned

Original Language Version

Post by Der Maresal » 08 Sep 2002, 03:38

That's true!
Subtitled and in it's original language is the real way to watch a foreign movie.

I bouth Das Boot - my favorite movie ever, and it is in it's original German Language Version - they swear and talk dirty- in German "Scheisse! when the depth charges explode, but that just makes the movie more fun.
It has digital surround sound - I would reccomend Das Boot to, to anyone who has not seen it. Germans indeed make good movies - but sad ones - and Das Boot, like Stalingrad ends in disaster. That was reality. -

kobold

Post by kobold » 08 Sep 2002, 05:48

yeah

Das Boot was one of the first dvd's I bought after getting a dvd drive for my pc, along with Cross of Iron.

Dave

col. klink

Best Stalingrad movie

Post by col. klink » 08 Sep 2002, 05:56

I wonder if anyone out there can help me. In the early and mid 1960s I can rememeber the local television stations here in Chicago showing three foreign made films about WWII that I haven't seen in 40 years. One was about Stalingrad. I think it might have been called "The Battle of Stalingrad." I think it was German made. The most memorable thing about the movie is an off screen voice which I guess is supposed to be a Soviet psych-war device saying something like, "Every ten seconds another German soldier dies." This is followed by a bell tone or something. It was an hypnotic part of the film though I can't recall if the rest of the film was any good or accurate. The second film also looked like it might have been German made and was called something like "The Plot to Kill Hitler." The thing I remember most about this film was the pecking order of blame. The civillians blamed the military, the military blamed the party, the party blamed the bosses and the bosses blamed Hitler. From what I remember it dealt mostly with the July 20 attempt. The third film was Japanese and I specifially remember watching this around Dec. 7, 1961 the 20th anniversary of Pearl Harbor. It was called "I Bombed Pearl Harbor." I remember my mother walking in the living room and saw that I was watching this and called me a communist!
I saw this one maybe two more times and remember it the best. It, as well as the other two films I mentioned, were important to me in that they made me aware that some people had a different perspective of events than the ones I was growing up with. I doubt these films were historically accurate (they were probably as historically accurate as the films Hollywood and the other victors' film studios were making) but they made me curious about what the other side saw. I would like to see these films again, along with another one that was shown around the same time about Dien Bien Phu called "Jump into Hell." It seems unfortunate to me that these films just seemed to have disappeared. I would like to see them now and compare them with what I have read and learned in the last 35 or 40 years. They were probably a lot worse than I remember but they still had some effect on my thinking. I don't know if film can teach us history but at its best it can help us gain a bit of perspective and maybe objectivity.

kobold

Post by kobold » 08 Sep 2002, 06:48

"I bombed Pearl Harbour"
http://us.imdb.com/Title?0055502

"The Battle for Stalingrad" russian made 1949/1950

http://us.imdb.com/Title?0041916
http://us.imdb.com/Title?0042997

Dave

I just downloaded the music soundtrack for the stalingrad movie the other day.

Roland

Post by Roland » 08 Sep 2002, 06:49

Hallo everyone!

Try this:

http://ihffilm.com/

Roland.

col. klink

best Stalingrad movie

Post by col. klink » 08 Sep 2002, 09:43

Thank you Kobold and Roland for the links. Roland, the one you sent me had both of the German made films. The one on the July 20 plot was one of the last films directed by G.W. Pabst! It's called Jackboot Mutiny. Thanks again.

Ebusitanus

Post by Ebusitanus » 08 Sep 2002, 12:09

Stalingrad is a good movie although I keep getting the feeling that its missing like another hour or some of footage..everything goes to fast for my taste. Whole groups of main characters just disapear without a trace, the movement to the different scenarios is like a flash.
I´m sure we are missing some excellent minutes from the movie somewhere...I want them!

Roland

Post by Roland » 09 Sep 2002, 09:33

You are welcome, mr. Klink! :)

Roland.

Arkady

Post by Arkady » 10 Sep 2002, 11:10

Yep, this Stalingrad movie is very realistic. Most of the movie was created in location here in Czech republic in ex-soviet military training zones. Several of my friends played german and soviet troops. I think that exist at least two versions (one short and one long) but I don't know if both are avalaible at your place. (cinema nad TV release is 134 minutes long but I have VHS version about 180 minutes long, only in Czech language)

Arkady

The Desert Fox

Stalingrad and Das Boat get my vote as great movies as well!

Post by The Desert Fox » 10 Sep 2002, 11:28

I have watched both the Stalingrad movie and das Boat, both where some of the best war movies I have seen. I owe Das Boat on video and hope to get a copy of Stalingard some time.

regards
The desert Fox

Ando

Post by Ando » 11 Sep 2002, 03:31

I bought the Stalingrad DVD from http://www.bensonsworld.co.uk/ it was really cheap and had free delivery. However there was a reason why its so cheap it doesnt have the German soundtrack, and it doesnt mention that on the page.

It really sucked having to watch it with dubbed english, however the voices were better than on Das Boot. I got used to it after a while, I think they lost a lot of atmoshere in the conversion. What were the producers of the DVD thinking? :x

kobold

Post by kobold » 11 Sep 2002, 04:59

Ando wrote:I bought the Stalingrad DVD from http://www.bensonsworld.co.uk/ it was really cheap and had free delivery. However there was a reason why its so cheap it doesnt have the German soundtrack, and it doesnt mention that on the page.

It really sucked having to watch it with dubbed english, however the voices were better than on Das Boot. I got used to it after a while, I think they lost a lot of atmoshere in the conversion. What were the producers of the DVD thinking? :x

yeah i ant understand it. Thats the reason I aint bought it yet-and the shops I have tried say the can't tell if its dubbed either.
jeez.

Dave

Return to “Movies, games & other fiction”