New ww2 Super hero rpg

Discussions on WW2 and pre-WW2 related movies, games, military art and other fiction.
kobold

New ww2 Super hero rpg

Post by kobold » 10 Sep 2002 02:19

I kid you not!

http://www.godlikerpg.com/about.shtml

Dave

from the site:

GODLIKE is a Role-Playing Adventure Game
GODLIKE is a role-playing adventure game of Allied super-human “Talents” fighting in World War II. Talents possess super-human powers (such as flight, invisibility or teleportation) that set them apart from the normal foot soldier. But unlike the comic-books, GODLIKE is set in a world much like our own.

Talents don’t wear costumes because the snipers would know who to shoot first, and just because you can lift a tank over your head doesn’t make you bulletproof. The brutal reality of combat is that Talents are much more likely to be thrown in the thick of it, and their powers don’t help as much as one might imagine.

The Desert Fox

Godlike Rpg

Post by The Desert Fox » 10 Sep 2002 10:36

I must admit shucks :roll: :roll: I have actually had a look at it in a hobby shop. Been involved in Rpg and Wargaming for a while and the RPG concept might actually be a laugh. Instead of reading about the so called Aryan Superman you can roleplay one. heheheheh :D

Regards
The Desert Fox
ps - I didnt buy the book :wink:

kobold

Post by kobold » 10 Sep 2002 12:21

I have been playing rpg's and the odd argame since about 1980, and spent far too much money on the hobby hehe, and time too.

there is only 1 rpg supplier left in my city (noone includes games workshop anymore since they sell only their own in house products/crap).

Forbidden Planet - started as a scifi/fantasy book/comic shop, got into the vids/cds/dvds etc and rpg's too.
Now it is naught but a glorified toy shop selling buffy action figures and all the crap that brings with it.
The rpg section, while not the best in the world, is the only one in my city-and i cant reach it because it is in the basement, down a steep flight of stairs.
Having arthritis, I cannot get up or down stairs without a risk of falling and/or causing myself serious pain at the very least.

The shop does not carry a list of the current stock so I don't even know what is downstairs.
You ought to see their comic ordering system-funniest thing youll ever see - do you know of a shop that, recieving pre orders from say 10 customoers for a particular product, will only order 5, and put 3 of those out on the shelf, reserving only 2 copies for 2 of the people of the 10 that ordered them??
Madness.

And since they usually don't allow you to open a sealed product to inspect it before purchase, they lose a lot of sales like that too.

I dont have a credit card so I cant use internet/mail order, although a freind offered the use of his card.
But I never buy something sight unseen, so i am stuck again :((

I must have been a right b*st*rd in a previous life for god to treat me so bad :(

Dave

Smert-Fashistam

Post by Smert-Fashistam » 10 Sep 2002 14:16

Out of curiosity I checked the website and the game concept looks inovative, however what i dont ger is what physical form does this game have - is that a card/dice system (never get that one) or other?

kobold

Post by kobold » 10 Sep 2002 15:42

Its a "proper" role playing game, along the lines of Dungeons & dragons.
Played with people, dice and bits of paper with their chatacers written on them.

One person is referee or games master, the rest of the people-the players, each create a character to play in the game. The character is essentially a set of statistics listing how fast, strong, intelligent he is, and also lists his or her skills-i.e. if a military character, he will be fit (usually), and have a set of skills relevant to the military speciality the player chose for the character.

The referee is story teller/narrator/rules referee etc, and among other things, controlls all the characters that the players characters would interact with in the game world - he also sets the scene - like the narrator at the start of a movie.

The players then respond to the situation the referee has placed them in (within the limits of their charcaters knowledge and abilities), and he then determines the reactions of the surrounding world to the players moves.

Dice are normally used in this sort of game to determine things like success in combat, whether your character has successfully climbed over a high wall etc.

With a decent referee, and players, these games can give a group a great deal of enjoyment.

There are a number of WW2/War themed games on the market, from 17th century pirates, ww1 and ww2, vietnam, modern warfare and future based games too, as well as fantasy genres etc.

If you have ever watched a movie and wanted the character to do something other than what the script writer said, or you'd like to have been in the characters place to do the plot your way, then rpg's are a decent way to try it. They can be a good way to explore the "what if...?"

Even stealing plots from movies can be a great deal of fun.
(The point being that you dont follow the plot/script from the movie, you do it YOUR way).

Dave

The Desert Fox

A RPG campaign I once ran

Post by The Desert Fox » 10 Sep 2002 15:59

For those who may have seen the Movie called "The Keep" it was the inspiration behind a short campaign I ran a few years back.

The player characters where all members of the Wehmarcht, Waffen SS and/or Luftwaffe stationed in Rumania in 1942. They where guarding an new airfield under construction. People started going missing starting with an surveyor sent to lay down the airstrip. Partisans suspected but in reality it was an vampric presence hiding in shadows. The game worked a treat with characters becoming drowned in a sea of paranoia. Difference branchs of the armed services blaming each other for the murders etc. A Waffen SS officer sent to investiage finding himself in the shit as well. It was a realy enjoyable horror RPG mini campaign.

regards
The Desert Fox

The Desert Fox

A future RPG Pbem maybe?

Post by The Desert Fox » 10 Sep 2002 16:01

I have even considered maybe running it as a Play By Email Rpg Game one day.

regards
The Desert Fox

kobold

Re: A RPG campaign I once ran

Post by kobold » 10 Sep 2002 16:12

The Desert Fox wrote:For those who may have seen the Movie called "The Keep" it was the inspiration behind a short campaign I ran a few years back.

The player characters where all members of the Wehmarcht, Waffen SS and/or Luftwaffe stationed in Rumania in 1942. They where guarding an new airfield under construction. People started going missing starting with an surveyor sent to lay down the airstrip. Partisans suspected but in reality it was an vampric presence hiding in shadows. The game worked a treat with characters becoming drowned in a sea of paranoia. Difference branchs of the armed services blaming each other for the murders etc. A Waffen SS officer sent to investiage finding himself in the shit as well. It was a realy enjoyable horror RPG mini campaign.

regards
The Desert Fox

I have the released game scenario by Role Aids for the Keep.

hehe it was much better than the movie, when we played it - subdued lighting in the room, spooky background music added to the atmosphere.

Dave

I might have it as a pdf file somehwere if anyone wants it.

The Desert Fox

Yes please I would love a copy

Post by The Desert Fox » 11 Sep 2002 12:43

Yes Please Kobold, I would love a copy if you still have it.

regards
The Desert Fox

Return to “Movies, games & other fiction”