Errors in Private Ryan

Discussions on WW2 and pre-WW2 related movies, games, military art and other fiction.
HJ Division Grenadier

Post by HJ Division Grenadier » 14 Sep 2002, 21:17

Thats right alex, you can plainly see the collar patches and he is wearing a splinter pattern smock.

Tolga Alkan

Post by Tolga Alkan » 16 Sep 2002, 13:24

Christian Ankerstjerne wrote:I think that it's intended to be the sanme person, as it is made quite obvious. It could be that after he is released, he has joined the SS (it happened).
This would also explain why he is shot...

Christian
It is a fantasy so i don't belive,is it too easy to join SS?If he lost his unit,he could fight with his Heer uniform in W-SS side.

Smert-Fashistam

one more link

Post by Smert-Fashistam » 16 Sep 2002, 15:27

this also have some clever mistakes pointed out

http://us.imdb.com/Goofs?0120815

Smert-Fashistam

Post by Smert-Fashistam » 16 Sep 2002, 15:29

P.S., this is the funniest

Revealing mistakes: When the soldiers arrive at the 101st rally point, the same extra walks by, up to 4 times.

that happens in some movies and makes me laugh every time, dont know why :lol:

Ogorek

Post by Ogorek » 16 Sep 2002, 18:11

OK, I'll join the nit-picking. The state-side staff binky concerning with the missing Private Ryan is wearing a 2nd Division patch on his right shoulder, indicating that he was a veteran of World War I. All well and good, except that the tradition of wearing a "combat patch" did not start until April 1945.

HJ Division Grenadier

Post by HJ Division Grenadier » 16 Sep 2002, 19:52

I will have to check that part of the film, which extra are you talking about?
Is it the slightly chubby one?

As to the Wermacht guy with the SS.
If he was picked up by another unit, he would remain with them and fight/eat/slepp with them until such time as it was conveinient to return him to his regular outfit. If this was not possible, he would not simply just become "SS".

One major thing I noticed is when Mellish and the Para shoot through the wall when they hear footsteps in the hallway.....when the German that kills Mellish goes out through the door, there is no body lying there....strange as there was so much blood.

Daniel L

Post by Daniel L » 16 Sep 2002, 23:31

about that- he bites his jaw and you clearly see blood pouring, but next time you see his face there's no blood.

I don't see anything wrong with him joining the soldiers attacking Ramelle.

The film is filled with errors, in spite of that people claim it to be one of the greatest ww2 movies. Why? Beacase the germans actually speak german?

Rob S.

Post by Rob S. » 17 Sep 2002, 01:01

No, the Heer prisoner would have either been shot for desertion or reassigned to another Heer unit. He would not have been re-assigned to the Waffen-SS.

Note that in the end fight scene there were no MG42's even though German squad doctrine teaches that the MG *is* the back of the infantry squad.

Daniel L

Post by Daniel L » 17 Sep 2002, 01:52

So? It's not the first time when heer and ss fight together. it's not like he was drafted into the waffen-ss.

Note that in the end fight scene there were no MG42's even though German squad doctrine teaches that the MG *is* the back of the infantry squad.

So that means that every group of soldiers have a mG42 available. It doesn't prove anything!

HJ Division Grenadier

Post by HJ Division Grenadier » 17 Sep 2002, 15:09

Well to be perfectly honest an MG42 isnt the best tool for close quaters fighting as presented in the scene you are talking about.

Rob S.

Post by Rob S. » 17 Sep 2002, 16:17

So? It's not the first time when heer and ss fight together. it's not like he was drafted into the waffen-ss.
You're half right. They aren't forbidden to fight with each other, but if you were found alone without weapons, you'd probably be tried for desertion. If not, you must understand that he was apart of a reserve division with a real command structure. He would have been re-assigned to the closest structure within the same division. The random presence of an MG nest does not exist. It it an integral part of a larger formation.
Note that in the end fight scene there were no MG42's even though German squad doctrine teaches that the MG *is* the back of the infantry squad. So that means that every group of soldiers have a mG42 available. It doesn't prove anything!
I don't really understand this, if you think that the Germans didn't use MG's in city fighting you are gravely mistaken. What do you suppose they did with them? Would you leave an MG42 behind?
Well to be perfectly honest an MG42 isnt the best tool for close quaters fighting as presented in the scene you are talking about
Well it's better than a big and bulky 20mm Flak/30 which they did evidentally use. Give me one situation where the Germans ditched their MG's in urban ops. It never happened. Machine guns are the backbone of German infantry squads, town fighting is no exception. MG42's would rock in town fighting. That's the reason why SPR didn't use them, they needed the Americans to win.

HJ Division Grenadier

Post by HJ Division Grenadier » 17 Sep 2002, 16:21

Thats not what I was getting at at all, try not to take things so literally.
If youve ever tried to run around with an MG42 you will know what I mean, along with their vast consumption of ammunition you would need a large team to keep you supplied.

James Patrick

Post by James Patrick » 17 Sep 2002, 17:12

Ogorek, good call. I was wondering about that.

Daniel L

Post by Daniel L » 17 Sep 2002, 18:37

They had MG42 in their halftracks. Just because german squad doctrine was based around the MG doesn't mean that a lack of that weapon is historically incorrect. neither do we know where the soldiers came from.

HJ Division Grenadier

Post by HJ Division Grenadier » 17 Sep 2002, 18:41

Thats right.

To be honest, if I was put into a situation like that and thank God Im not, I think given a choice of weapons for house to house combat I would choose an MP44 over an MG42 any day.

Return to “Movies, games & other fiction”