Censored Games

Discussions on WW2 and pre-WW2 related movies, games, military art and other fiction.
Heinz23

Censored Games

Post by Heinz23 » 12 Sep 2002 22:41

Did you noticed, that most of games treating about WWII and German armed forces are censored ??? There are no swastikas on planes and uniforms, no military music from Third Reich period... In tank simulation games there is NO WAY to play in SS Panzer Divisions. And so on...
The only uncensored game I've encountered was "Luftwaffe Commander" from SSI. There were swastikas available without any patches, player could see his own uniform with Imperial eagle and swastika. Did the authors encountered any problems ? I never heard about such a story, and LF wasn't withdrawn from stores.

Christian Ankerstjerne
Forum Staff

Post by Christian Ankerstjerne » 12 Sep 2002 22:44

Well, the Swastika, images of Hitler and the Sig runes are illegal. Not even 2 S's on a number plate is allowed!

This goes for France and Italy as well, AFAIK...

Welcome to the forum!

Christian

Capitán

Post by Capitán » 13 Sep 2002 10:53

Hi,
In Spain the Svastica and other things are legals...
But most of the games come directly through USA or other european countries in wich the nazi simbols are illegals.
Few Months ago i traveled to Germany and i´m very surprisse when i saw a Tamiya box for modelling troops and all the boxes were repainted with pen to avoid to see the Svastica from the decal of the helmets and in the uniform.
I asked about it, and they told me that in Germany is illegal the Svastica...

Bye.

Mike R

Post by Mike R » 13 Sep 2002 17:15

I think most game companies try to avoid anything that could place them in a political controversary, so to avoid all pretenses of making any sort of political statement leave such things out. Although Jane's WWII Fighters is another game that also has the swastika emblazoned on the aircraft. It just occured to me, but do the Hammer and Sickle of the Soviet Union show up in a lot of games?

-Mike

Caldric

Post by Caldric » 13 Sep 2002 17:21

I can remember the games getting really serious about editing out the Swastika back in the early to mid 90's with a game called Across the Rhine, it was made by Microprose. There were huge debates on rather or not the SS Units in the West should be portrayed historically. And if the Swastika should be used. It eventually came down to the head programmer or whatever they are called stating that since the game was going to be a European release also it would not put the swastika or SS in the game.

I think it is silly but then some people do not. So as a business they would rather have me a little muffed then have thousands out right mad and refuse to purchase their software.

I use to visit the WWIIONLINE forum back when the game first released, there were people who actually wanted the Avatars and signature files to be censored. I remember one French guy who complained for days on end about people using the swastika. He had this signature file with an Me-109e, and on the tail it had the Swastka. Was humorous watching him apologize for days about that one when someone pointed it out to him.

They take it way to far, as with most things people do not think when they get personal feelings involved, like some crusade to save me from seeing a picture. When in the end all they do is make it taboo and then of course young people get that rebelious attachment to anything deemed taboo by society, not all but some. And we know where that leads.

HJ Division Grenadier

Post by HJ Division Grenadier » 13 Sep 2002 17:31

Luckilly, being from the UK we dont suffer too much with this problem. But I can see it heading that way before long.
I used to use Ebay UK, they banned all runes and swastikas from item being displayed, all a bit daft really, just my opinion.

T.R.Searle

Post by T.R.Searle » 13 Sep 2002 17:33

As far as I know games in Canada arent cencored. There are swastikas,SS runes and in Wolfenstein some third reich marching music was played. But my opinion is,is that these are symbols to do with history and shouldnt be cencored. They were used by human beings just like all of us and regardless of the history accociated with it they should be left normal. The runes are a Viking symbol aswell only they are used in singular form,not 2 runes like it is for the SS symbol though,and the swastika was found in many parts all over the world and also for many civilizations represented the sun,and it was also the bhuddist symbol of good luck. But also I think it should be the decision of popular demand...if no one wants the symbol/s or anything of that sort to be in their games then dont do it. Thats just my 2 cents.

T.R.Searle :)

Rob S.

Post by Rob S. » 13 Sep 2002 17:40

In games such things are censored because the programmers want it to hit the entire market, and the German gamer industry is one of the largest in the world excluding the US and UK.

It doesn't make much of a difference to me, I can enjoy a ww2 game without the horst wessel lied and blaring red swastika banners.

HJ Division Grenadier

Post by HJ Division Grenadier » 13 Sep 2002 17:42

We all know why its done this way, its just a shame it has to be like this.

johnny_bi

Post by johnny_bi » 14 Sep 2002 09:28

In East Front II you may play in SS mode .... Anyway thare are so many patches and add-ons and you may add so many swastika ,etc,etc so I see no use of censoring the games .. my opinion . If you want to respect history ... you have to include SS ... if you are historical ... otherwise
BI

Christian Ankerstjerne
Forum Staff

Post by Christian Ankerstjerne » 14 Sep 2002 13:27

I just found a swastika on a Soldbuch in MOHAA...

It could be that the people behind MOHAA doesn't know about the Sig runes, and they seem to be unknowing of many other facts.

I tried e-mailing them about errors on their website (which could be corrected in minutes), but I never even heard from them...

Christian

Ebusitanus

Post by Ebusitanus » 16 Sep 2002 12:16

If you would so play Return to castle Wolfenstein in Germany you will notice that the bad guys aren´t even Nazis but due to political correctness have been replaced by some evil monks. All relation to fighting the third reich have been removed. :lol:

Smert-Fashistam

Post by Smert-Fashistam » 16 Sep 2002 14:24

in the counter-strike mod Day of Defeat, German SS troopers have recognizable SS runes on their helmets (if played in high resolution) and swasticas on their uniforms; however in return to the castle wolfenstein (North American) swastica flags are replaced with the made up german flags, however some characters, including officers and my favorite - Uber Soldat have recognizable swastikas on their uniforms/ armour - so has the game Commandos Beyond the call of duty

Christian Ankerstjerne
Forum Staff

Post by Christian Ankerstjerne » 16 Sep 2002 18:35

It is possible that the swastikas aren't added untli after a few levels - counting on the censoring players not being any good ;)

Christian

Return to “Movies, games & other fiction”