Battlefield 1942

Discussions on WW2 and pre-WW2 related movies, games, military art and other fiction.
Zachary

Battlefield 1942

Post by Zachary » 15 Sep 2002 15:46

Does anyone have it? I saw it in a store here yesterday (I think yesterday was the release date) For those who have played the demo- is it a first person game? Are you a real person or just a soldier? Can you play all the countries? Are there campagins or a map maker?
Regards,
Zachary

de-gouden-ridder

Post by de-gouden-ridder » 15 Sep 2002 15:51

I played the demo. The game is very good. It is a first person shooter. You can choose your country. It is best to be played in multyplayer, but the singleplayer game (the maps and missions are the same for multyplayer)should also work very good.
I could say another 100 good words about the game, but I will stop now.

kobold

Post by kobold » 15 Sep 2002 16:32

downloading it as we speak... :))

(for review purposes only of course)

Dave

Caldric

Post by Caldric » 15 Sep 2002 19:02

I picked it up yesterday is a very good game! I was up till 3am playing, is one of those types of games that just burn time. My wife went out at 6:30 pm and the next thing I knew it was 9:30 when she came back. The game just sucks you into it.

The battle of Tobruk was white knuckle exciting, really it was, but then I am a child again when I play some of these games. The Germans were attacking frontal assault wise and I only had a few defenders, they kept pushing us out of our defensive lines and back into the town. This game is amazing, I played Tobruk 5 times in a roll and had 5 different outcomes, this is the best AI I have ever seen in a game, they do some things that are just silly but for the most part it is excellent.

It is a CPU and Memory hog though, so fair warning on the need for a good computer to run it in high graphics mode etc. I have a P4 1.8a cpu running at 2.4, 512 megs of ram and 64 meg Video card. The only problem I had was at Midway, for some reason this battle is really horrid on the computer, I think it may have missed the final polishing and is raw. There are still places that stutter and lag once in a while, but over all it is not that bad.

But for those that must have everything historically correct, it is not here in this game. Such as STG44 at Tobruk and Japan using the K98 and Stg, and Soviets using the BAR. But that is ok it is still more fun then I have had with a game in a long time.

Romulus

Post by Romulus » 15 Sep 2002 19:14

I got it yesterday, the berlin map is awesome...i had 4 germans with no tanks going against about 20 russkies with t-34's, it was so intense it was just unbelievable. The other 3 maps with soviets are Kharkov, Kursk, and Stalingrad. It's not the most realistic tho in some ways, like grenades can destroy a tiger, but overall its very cool.

Panzer general

Post by Panzer general » 15 Sep 2002 22:29

The release date for holland is 20 sept. Why are the americans always first :)

Hope to get it soon :)

Logan Hartke

Post by Logan Hartke » 15 Sep 2002 22:59

Panzer general wrote:The release date for holland is 20 sept. Why are the americans always first :)

Hope to get it soon :)

Bigger market.

Logan Hartke

Zachary

Post by Zachary » 15 Sep 2002 23:26

Oh. I'm taking a shot in the dark here, but I'm guessing the BF42 is good. :) I'll exchange the darn Medal of Honor for it! Is Battlefield 1942 like MOHAA except that you can drive? What about battleships?
Regards,
Zachary

Romulus

Post by Romulus » 16 Sep 2002 01:47

Medal of honor sucks in comparasion, go get it now and join my clan! :lol:

Caldric

Post by Caldric » 16 Sep 2002 04:15

Yeah MOHAA is a joke compared to this game.

The soldiers can get blown 30 feet up into the air, is rather wild game. Fast and brutal. Have not played online yet.

Zachary

Post by Zachary » 18 Sep 2002 13:09

For you all to play Battlefield 1942, you must have pretty powerful computers. This game will take up half of my computer space. But then I do have that space open....
I know you can be on a battleship. How does that work? Are you a gunner, or do you actually power the entire thing?
Can you do famous battles?
Is there a map maker where you can make up your own "campaigns"?
Sorry for all the questions, :D
Zachary

Daniel L

Post by Daniel L » 18 Sep 2002 14:03

My name when playing the multiplayer demo is evil heat if anyone happens to play online.

I started some big discussions about the details and inaccuracies of the game on one of the forums. Still, it's great gameplay.

Harrold

Post by Harrold » 19 Sep 2002 00:27

I bought BF1942 as well, while the tank vehicle combat is quite good the infantry are quite lacking. That's actually a big understatement seing as "dice" (company who made BF1942) seem to lack any concept of realistic infantry combat. Grenades can completelly obliterate tanks, weapon damage is extremelly under-powered requiring most of the clip to be fired into the chest of an enemy before they even flinch. The sniper rifles especially bother me since they do so little damage, more so than the other weapons which are somewhat tolerable. I was also disapointed with the lack of weapons, again they chose to toss all reality out of the window by giving the russians almost all american firearms and various other things like that.

Caldric

Post by Caldric » 19 Sep 2002 00:50

You have to keep it in perspective, this game was made for fun not hostorical accuracy. If you want accuracy you will not find it here, the Japanese did not use the Stg44 or K98. And the USSR did not use the BAR, the US used the Garand not some generic bolt action rifle.

But even with all of that, the game is so much fun to play. That is the main point.

Romulus

Post by Romulus » 19 Sep 2002 02:33

I take delight in stealing soviet t-34's and blowing the russkies to bits with them...until about 3 guys swarm me with grenades...then its all over!

Return to “Movies, games & other fiction”