The music of "Conspirancy"

Discussions on WW2 and pre-WW2 related movies, games, military art and other fiction.
Helly Angel

The music of "Conspirancy"

Post by Helly Angel » 29 Mar 2002 17:01

Hello,
Last night I take "Conspirancy" of Blockbuster.

The film is about the Wannse meeting with Kenneth Brannag playing Heydrich and Stanely Tucci playing Adolf Eichmann.
In the last scene sound a classic song.
Anybody know who is the autor? or the name of the song?

Thanks in advance,

Birgitte Heuschkel

Post by Birgitte Heuschkel » 29 Mar 2002 17:41

"Conspiracy" or "Conspirancy"? I missed one! ARGH! *run towards the nearest Blockbuster in a frenzy*

Andy Krause
Banned

Post by Andy Krause » 29 Mar 2002 22:00

watch it again because I've seen this movie and Eichmann plays the song on his record player at the end and tells one of the butler's the name and author of the song :twisted:

Scott Smith

CONSPIRACY

Post by Scott Smith » 29 Mar 2002 23:31

I thought it was Schubert but I might be wrong. I wasn't paying much attention to what music Eichmann and Heydrich supposedly did or did not like.
:)

Zapfenstreich

Music

Post by Zapfenstreich » 30 Mar 2002 02:00

It's been years since I saw that. Was the music "Death and the Maiden" by Mahler?

Z

walterkaschner
In memoriam

Post by walterkaschner » 30 Mar 2002 05:20

Hi Zapfenstreich---

Although I have a very fuzzy, Altsheimerisch recollection of the music at the end of the "Conspiracy" production, I do believe it was the "Death and the Maiden" theme, but (and here I agree with Scott Smith) by Schubert, not Mahler (although certainly predicting a degree of Mahler's Angst, but many decades before his time). I could very well be wrong, as my recollection of the film is quite dim, but I think it was from the second, adagio, movement of Schubert's String Quartet in D minor, No. 14, which involved variations on a previous theme that Schubert had used for one of his Lieder, composed several years earlier, which bore the same title as it was a dialogue between a young girl and death. Certainly Mahler, too, was often obsessed by thoughts of death, but he was Jewish (although a convert to Christianity) and his music was considered degenerate and not officially performed in the Third Reich. Sorry to be such a pedant, but I can't help myself! Best regards, Kaschner

Zapfenstreich

You Are Correct, Sir!

Post by Zapfenstreich » 30 Mar 2002 10:29

Walter

You are absolutely correct. It was Schubert who composed "Death and the Maiden."

As for you being pedantic, your posts are among those I enjoy the most.

I don't know why I thought it was Mahler. Especially since Schubert is one of my favorite composers.

Z

"Leise flehen meine Lieder durch die Nacht zu dir."

Helly Angel

Thank

Post by Helly Angel » 30 Mar 2002 22:45

Thanks alot for the commentaries!

:P

Oswald Mosley

Post by Oswald Mosley » 01 Apr 2002 23:31

Well, Schubert was not one of Eichmann's favourite composers. Eichmann called him a 'sentimental idiot' (or something similar) in the film.

Zapfenstreich

Post by Zapfenstreich » 02 Apr 2002 00:20

Oswald Mosley wrote:Well, Schubert was not one of Eichmann's favourite composers. Eichmann called him a 'sentimental idiot' (or something similar) in the film.

Eichmann wouldn't have made a pimple on Schubert's arse.

Z

Qvist

Post by Qvist » 03 Apr 2002 09:28

Walter -

No pedantry involved, just the usual solid information (and about one of my favourite pieces of chamber music). BTW, did Mahler ever compose anything called "Der Tod und das Mädchen"?

Regards, Qvist

Zapfenstreich

Mahler?/Schubert?

Post by Zapfenstreich » 03 Apr 2002 23:41

Qvist

That was the thought that first entered my mind too. As Walter pointed out, it was Schubert who composed "Death and the Maiden" (Der Tod und das Mädchen).

Maybe I associated it with "Kindertotenlieder". :?:

VBR

Z

Hier sind wir versammelt im festlichem Ort;
Drum klingen und singen BIBAMUS

Fermat

Post by Fermat » 05 Apr 2002 05:48

The music you can listen at the end of the film is the Quintet in C D956 by Franz Schubert. A very good classical piece in my opinion.

walterkaschner
In memoriam

Post by walterkaschner » 20 Apr 2002 00:54

Fermat, I finally found a rental copy of the film and just finished watching it again. You are absolutely correct; the music is the adagio (2nd) movement from Schubert's Quintet in C major, D.956. It is indeed beautiful - thoughtfully melancholy and a bit foreboding. As Heydrich said Ït will tear your heart out." On reflection I'm struck by the fact that my recollection was clearly wrong from an artistic point of view; the "Death and the Maiden" Quartet would have been much too obvious. Thanks for the info. Regards, Kaschner

Return to “Movies, games & other fiction”