Conspiracy (2001) soundtrack

Discussions on WW2 and pre-WW2 related movies, games, military art and other fiction.
Helly Angel

Conspiracy (2001) soundtrack

Post by Helly Angel » 29 Mar 2002 17:01

[Topic entitled "The music of 'Conspirancy'" renamed by the music section host, Ivan Ž.]

Hello,
Last night I take "Conspirancy" of Blockbuster.

The film is about the Wannse meeting with Kenneth Brannag playing Heydrich and Stanely Tucci playing Adolf Eichmann.
In the last scene sound a classic song.
Anybody know who is the autor? or the name of the song?

Thanks in advance,

Zapfenstreich

Post by Zapfenstreich » 30 Mar 2002 02:00

It's been years since I saw that. Was the music "Death and the Maiden" by Mahler?

Z

walterkaschner
In memoriam

Post by walterkaschner » 30 Mar 2002 05:20

Hi Zapfenstreich---

Although I have a very fuzzy, Altsheimerisch recollection of the music at the end of the "Conspiracy" production, I do believe it was the "Death and the Maiden" theme, but (and here I agree with Scott Smith) by Schubert, not Mahler (although certainly predicting a degree of Mahler's Angst, but many decades before his time). I could very well be wrong, as my recollection of the film is quite dim, but I think it was from the second, adagio, movement of Schubert's String Quartet in D minor, No. 14, which involved variations on a previous theme that Schubert had used for one of his Lieder, composed several years earlier, which bore the same title as it was a dialogue between a young girl and death. Certainly Mahler, too, was often obsessed by thoughts of death, but he was Jewish (although a convert to Christianity) and his music was considered degenerate and not officially performed in the Third Reich. Sorry to be such a pedant, but I can't help myself! Best regards, Kaschner

Zapfenstreich

Post by Zapfenstreich » 30 Mar 2002 10:29

Walter

You are absolutely correct. It was Schubert who composed "Death and the Maiden."

As for you being pedantic, your posts are among those I enjoy the most.

I don't know why I thought it was Mahler. Especially since Schubert is one of my favorite composers.

Z

"Leise flehen meine Lieder durch die Nacht zu dir."

Helly Angel

Post by Helly Angel » 30 Mar 2002 22:45

Thanks alot for the commentaries!

:P

Qvist

Post by Qvist » 03 Apr 2002 09:28

Walter -

No pedantry involved, just the usual solid information (and about one of my favourite pieces of chamber music).

Regards, Qvist

Fermat

Post by Fermat » 05 Apr 2002 05:48

The music you can listen at the end of the film is the Quintet in C D956 by Franz Schubert. A very good classical piece in my opinion.

walterkaschner
In memoriam

Post by walterkaschner » 20 Apr 2002 00:54

Fermat, I finally found a rental copy of the film and just finished watching it again. You are absolutely correct; the music is the adagio (2nd) movement from Schubert's Quintet in C major, D.956. It is indeed beautiful - thoughtfully melancholy and a bit foreboding. As Heydrich said Ït will tear your heart out." On reflection I'm struck by the fact that my recollection was clearly wrong from an artistic point of view; the "Death and the Maiden" Quartet would have been much too obvious. Thanks for the info. Regards, Kaschner

Return to “Movies, games & other fiction”