Movie remaking time

Discussions on WW2 and pre-WW2 related movies, games, military art and other fiction.
admfisher

Movie remaking time

Post by admfisher » 30 Mar 2002, 03:07

If there is one movie that could probably use a remake is the 'Sink the Bismarck'.
With the new information on the ships involved and the special effects it would make for one heck of a good showing.

Ebusitanus

Post by Ebusitanus » 30 Mar 2002, 04:49

Its not yet time for that I think...You bet that the ship would be full of anti Nazis and at the end none of them will be left to die in the cold sea...
Maybe even we would have to see some U571 remake scene of the Bismark machinegunning survivors of the Hood.

Takao

Post by Takao » 30 Mar 2002, 05:09

I would love to see "Sink the Bismarck" remade, especially with the quality of current CGI technology. So long as Hollywood stuck to the original script and didn't use to much of their "revisionism/artistic license."

I had high hopes that "Pearl Harbor" was going to be a remade "Tora, Tora, Tora" however after finding out more about the plot, I never did go to see it.

admfisher

movie remakes

Post by admfisher » 30 Mar 2002, 07:56

Imagine usining current modelling and special effects almost all of the old movie are possible to remake.
Here in Canada I see that the DND home page now gives you the impression that we have a fighting force.
So why not make remake old war movie with the better character coverage and the not so notorious one liners.
Its about time that the kids start to learn what this fighting is all about.
Talking of war movie I seen a movie about a lost russian tank crew in afganistan a few years ago and it was great. There was no big production basically some helicopters and a few old russian tanks.
So with this in mind, I would love to see more old movies.
Channel 4 in England has a IMAX of the remains of the Hood, out or coming out.
Check HMS Hoods site to find more if interested.

admfisher

whats this?

Post by admfisher » 30 Mar 2002, 08:18

"Its not yet time for that I think...You bet that the ship would be full of anti Nazis and at the end none of them will be left to die in the cold sea...

Maybe even we would have to see some U571 remake scene of the Bismark machinegunning survivors of the Hood."

I hope this comment about the MG working over Hoods last three surviors is a totally blind joke, Bismarck and PE were engaging what they thought was KGV flagship of the HomeFleet. Not to mention the damage they were taking and the other two CA's bearing down on them.

As for leaving the men in the sea the movie maker couldn't get around that, he could capitalize on the seaman who jumped overboard to rescue a armless german who managed to grab a rope with his teeth. Not only this but it is well documented that there were a large number of surviors left to die.

Why did Holland throw away his advantage?

Time is now, number one, Lutjens was a loyal Nazi, Lindermann and Brinkmann were not.
The USCG Cutter Maddox actually guided the first RN CA to the Bismarck.

Maddox actually spotted Bismarck first, we must then point out it was Maddox that signalled the direction of Bismarck to Victourous's Swordfish as they had overflown the intercepting point. So here we have 4 items that need exploring.

1. Holland was under immense pressure to catch and run down the Germans. Churchill tried to run the chase, but was held off by the Sea Lords. Look at the order to Vice Admiral Tovey by Churchill, 'Fight till the last drop of fuel and if neccassary we will tow you home', or somewhere along them lines.

2. The explanation of why Lutjens did not take the safe way home.

3. Lindermann and Brinkmann both wanted to finish off the POW but the 'Nazi' didn't. (His orders did allow for this.)

4. Why was the US breaking the neutral laws? There was one old USN BB in the Atlantic that would of had to try to stop her if she out ran the RN.

I hope you dont think I am trying to stop you in your tracks but this is a movie begging for the making and just about everything needed is availble.
The comments on U-571 well, like I said I hope they are a joke, I never seen the movie as I didn't think of it as one that I really would like.

If you want to toss out a wild idea, how about the impossible movie?
I pick the movie yet to be made here, The Battle of Kursk, or the say a movie based on the sea battles at Iron Bottom sound.

Dan Feltmate

Post by Dan Feltmate » 30 Mar 2002, 09:07

The Battle of Britan, and focus more on the German side of things possibly.

The Eagle has Landed

Kursk would be an awsome movie....

maybe a movie about the 1936 Olympics as well?

Gwynn Compton

Post by Gwynn Compton » 31 Mar 2002, 12:57

I personally would love to write a movie set in the chaotic German retreat in 1944 from Russia.

b_c_ries

Post by b_c_ries » 31 Mar 2002, 19:28

I would love to see a movie about the German invasion of Crete, hopefully made by people that were involved in making A Bridge too Far. Also the German and Soviet invasion of Poland in 1939 focusing on the Soviet/Nazi behind the scenes politics could be real interesting.
If 70 grains of IMR 4064 in a 7.92x57 case behind a 197 gr. fmj is too much then 85 grains should be just right.

kobold

Re: movie remakes

Post by kobold » 01 Apr 2002, 03:03

admfisher wrote:Channel 4 in England has a IMAX of the remains of the Hood, out or coming out.
Check HMS Hoods site to find more if interested.

My Uncle Benny was on the HMS Hood (along with actor John Pertwee who played Dr WHo for a while.
(both transferred off before it was sunk obviously hehe).

he went to australia after fighting with the anzac forces and we never heard from him again.
The old family tale was "the aborigines ate him" lol

Kobold.

jwong

Post by jwong » 12 Oct 2002, 02:10

Gwynn Compton wrote:I personally would love to write a movie set in the chaotic German retreat in 1944 from Russia.
Isn't the movie CROSS OF IRON, directed by Sam Peckinpah (THE WILD BUNCH), show German soldiers fighting the Russians on the Eastern Front?

I thought that near the end of that movie the Germans were finally forced to retreat from the advancing Russians ?

BakedAlaskan

Re: movie remakes

Post by BakedAlaskan » 13 Oct 2002, 18:28

admfisher wrote:Talking of war movie I seen a movie about a lost russian tank crew in afganistan a few years ago and it was great. There was no big production basically some helicopters and a few old russian tanks.
That movie is called "The Beast".Good flick,disturbing,but pretty good.Jason Patric(A$$hole)is the main character.
Everyone is entitled to my own opinion.

tonyh

Post by tonyh » 14 Oct 2002, 13:40

I'd like to see a remake of the "Dam Busters". I watched it the other day. Its very unbiased in that old British sort of way. Very interesting.

One thing that irritated me awfully though.

Guy Gibson's black labrador dog was called "nigger" (not the greatest naem in the world) and this was the code call for a successful mission. But in the film the name and consequently the code is completely cut!

"Sink the bismark" would be a good film to remake too, but both movies must be remade with the same 'unbiased' nature of the originals and not the current trend of Hollywood demonising fantasy that exists now, otherwise they can forget it. They'd have to be made in Europe. Hollywood just has no integrity left.

Somebody said "Kursk" would be a great film and hes right. Unfortunately it would be impossible to full the battlescenes with the amount of armour required to film the "largest tank battle in history". And CGI effects don't really cater for land vehicles as well as for aircraft etc.

Oh well, maybe one day.

Theres a British film called "Enigma" that people should check out. I was very surprised by it.

Tony

Return to “Movies, games & other fiction”