A Korean POW in Normandy, a hero in a new movie

Discussions on WW2 and pre-WW2 related movies, games, military art and other fiction.
cortodanzigese
Banned

Re: A Korean POW in Normandy, a hero in a new movie

Post by cortodanzigese » 13 Dec 2009 13:17

The title of this movie is ‘A POW in Normandy’ and will focus on the real story of a Korean POW(Kyoungjong Yang) and a US soldier who helps him. It is said that the budget for this movie will amount to more than 40 million dollars.

This is disturbing news indeed, becouse it could be probably a propaganda movie depicting German soldiers in bad light and showing in contrast how good american GIs are (and how good they are, Vietnamese and Iraquis already experienced )... Maybe I'm wrong, but storyline will show experiences of a Korean with USSR, Japan, Germany and USA, and it is a perfect occasion for Hollywood to level down historical competitors of USA... especially Germans. Distortions of the truth are norm in this business.

I remember how good and historically accurate was 2007 movie "Mongol" directed by Sergei Bodrov. This was a german-russian-mongolian co-production, maybe if movie about korean POWs was such a co-production either (with Koreans in charge) such movie would be as great?

Rob - wssob2

Post by Rob - wssob2 » 13 Dec 2009 20:38

is is disturbing news indeed, becouse it could be probably a propaganda movie depicting German soldiers in bad light and showing in contrast how good american GIs are (and how good they are, Vietnamese and Iraquis already experienced )... Maybe I'm wrong, but storyline will show experiences of a Korean with USSR, Japan, Germany and USA, and it is a perfect occasion for Hollywood to level down historical competitors of USA... especially Germans. Distortions of the truth are norm in this business.

Besides moronic anti-American agitprop, do you have anything constructive to say?

Kim Sung first posted this "movie" news in Aug 2005. It's now almost 2010. There's no movie made, no notice of a movie made, no mention of it in an US press (note that Kyoungjong Yang supposedly became a US citizen). This story has made the circular rounds on internet chat forums.

I am beginning to think this is a hoax.

cortodanzigese
Banned

Post by cortodanzigese » 13 Dec 2009 21:02

Kim Sung first posted this "movie" news in Aug 2005. It's now almost 2010. There's no movie made, no notice of a movie made, no mention of it in an US press (note that Kyoungjong Yang supposedly became a US citizen). This story has made the circular rounds on internet chat forums.

There is point in that, howewer I still remember how long Peter Jackson fought to make LOTR... so we can watch this movie in the future.

igiboo

Post by igiboo » 29 Dec 2009 09:25

In my opinion, all excep the one in the first picture look like turks from central asia. The guy in the top picture looks like a Korean I think.

Claus

Post by Claus » 21 Feb 2010 22:13

I can tell a similar story.
I had a teacher in the 80's.
Oswald Stadler was his name.He was from Basarabia.
A very educated person,who spoke 8 lang.
Studied law in Bucharest and another university (possib. Viena).
In the late 30's he was working in the port city of Constantza for a shipping company.
One night in a restaurant,he met a group of Japanease.
He became a friend with one of them.
LAter BAsarabia was anexted to the USSR and when the war started OS was called to the army.
There he was asked by an NKVD officer if he had served in the romanian army.The answer that he did was a one way trip to Siberia.There in one of the camps he met his Japan. friend who was taken prisoner in some border conflict.
They couldn't speak with each other (it wasn't the case anyway since OS was in enought trouble).
In 1943 he was sent to the front again and if I'm not wrong (there are more then 25 years since I heard the story) he took part at the battle of KIev.
The Japanease friend became a famoust painter and they got in tuch again in the early 80's.
OS was invited to Japan ,but was too old and sick to travel. He had problems with his foot fingers who froze during the siberian winters.He died early 90's.

Kim Sung

Post by Kim Sung » 17 May 2011 14:26

Rob - wssob2 wrote:Kim Sung first posted this "movie" news in Aug 2005. It's now almost 2010. There's no movie made, no notice of a movie made, no mention of it in an US press (note that Kyoungjong Yang supposedly became a US citizen). This story has made the circular rounds on internet chat forums.

I am beginning to think this is a hoax.

The long-awaited movie was made public at the Cannes Film Festival last Sunday.

http://www.myway-movie.co.kr

Kang Je-Kyu (강제규), the Korean film director famous for having made the mega-hit Korean War movie 'Taegukgi' (태극기 휘날리며) already started making scenario of the movie, which had been delayed for budget and legal problems. The original story of a Korean POW in Normandy is extended into a story of friendship between two men: Korean and Japanese POWs captured in Normandy in the summer of 1944.

As I wrote in a previous post, the Korean hero of this movie is Jang Dong-Gun (장동건) who also starred in the movie 'Taegukgi' but the Japanese hero of this movie was changed into Odagiri Joe (小田切譲). Plus, the Chinese actress Fan Bing-Bing (范冰冰) joined as a leading actress. As we know, they are the most popular actors and actress who represent their respective country.

Nearly 85% of the filming has been now completed. The production crew moved to Latvia on location to film the climactic scenes of the Battle of Normandy. At first, director Kang pondered on which is the most suitable location for filming the Normandy landing operation. Two options emerged: Ireland and Latvia. After careful consideration, he chose the latter.

This movie depicts a 12,000km journey of a man from Korea to England during World War II. Scenes of the Battle of Nomonhan and the Russian front look very action-packed. The movie will be released in December this year.

http://www.hancinema.net/older-posts-pr ... 27468.html

Film Business Asia reports that production is "some 40% through" on the epic war movie "My Way" from acclaimed director Kang Je-gyu ("Shiri", "Taegukgi"). The publication describes Kang as "one of the trailblazing directors of Korean cinema's modern revival".

Topstarring are Korea's Jang Dong-gun, Japan's Joe Odagiri and China's Fan Bingbing.

http://www.filmbiz.asia/news/kang-does-things-my-way

Budgeted at 30 billion won, "My Way" is based on a true story set during World War II and is scheduled for release in December.

In a recent interview with the JoongAng Daily, the director was asked as to what drew him to the story. He replied: "An ordinary man is thrown against his will into a tumultuous period of history and it seems like he would be overwhelmed – but he survives. I really wanted to investigate what saved him from his painful personal history, things like his dreams and his strong instinct to survive".

Kang Je-gyu also mentioned that his return to the war genre was motivated by his hope that "my film will change people's mindset about war".

For the full interview, please go to: http://joongangdaily.joins.com/article/ ... id=2931264

http://blog.naver.com/jujua5901/10109238995

California

Post by California » 18 May 2011 01:01

seems interesting

trailer is a total rip off of the band of brothers intro though.

Arto O

Post by Arto O » 23 May 2011 20:21

Hi,

I found this in Soft Skin Vehicle Photo Repository, page 59. This guy doesn t look like Turkistan, neither Tatar. Maybe Kalmuck.

Cheers
Arto
FOT.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Panzermahn

Post by Panzermahn » 25 May 2011 06:57

is is disturbing news indeed, becouse it could be probably a propaganda movie depicting German soldiers in bad light and showing in contrast how good american GIs are (and how good they are, Vietnamese and Iraquis already experienced )... Maybe I'm wrong, but storyline will show experiences of a Korean with USSR, Japan, Germany and USA, and it is a perfect occasion for Hollywood to level down historical competitors of USA... especially Germans. Distortions of the truth are norm in this business.

Besides moronic anti-American agitprop, do you have anything constructive to say?

What is moronic anti-American agitprop about the quote by cortodanzigese? Hollywood movies like U-571, Saving Private Ryan, though are interesting to watch but isn't an accurate representation of unblemished historical facts.

If Hollywood start making films based on topics like from the book "Taken by Force" (J. Robert lilly, 2007) or Biscari Massacre (James Weingartner, 1989), then I would admit Hollywood would be truly impartial.

nobodyofnote

Post by nobodyofnote » 08 Oct 2011 14:30

It looks like the film will finally be released outside of Korea and Japan early next year.

Korean WWII Film Promises Big Action, Bigger Drama

Director Kang Je-kyu unveils key footage of $24 million Korea-China co-prod.

A new World War II action drama with an Asian perspective promises never before-seen battle scenes rife with humanist messages.

After holding a large-scale press junket at the Cannes Film Festival in May, the makers of My Way held the first Asian media showcase in Busan on Saturday. Footages of the 28 billion-won Korea-China co-production were revealed during the event, featuring exquisite period details of 1930s Seoul to bloody battle sequences on European battlegrounds.

“We aimed to provide visual effects that haven’t been seen before in a war movie, but My Way is essentially a dramaabout humanist values,” said director Kang Je-kyu, who ends a seven-year hiatus since helming Taegukgi, a Korean War flick that became one of the highest-grossing films in local box office history.

“The film touches upon sensitive historical issues [involving imperial Japan colonizing Korea and China], but it’s not a conventional war story featuring perpetrators and victims. It strives to transmit humanist message, as it is about not giving up on your dreams even through the turmoil of war and even learning to forgive because of that dream.”

Kang reteams with Jang Dong-gun, who plays Jun-shik, a young man who dreams of becoming the next Sohn Kee-chung, a Korean marathoner who won the Olympic gold during the Japanese colonial period. He establishes a rivalry with Japan’s marathon champion Tatsuo (Japanese heartthrob Joe Odagiri), and the two go on to survive together as soldiers for not only Japan but also for the Soviet Union and even Germany as they become prisoners of war.

“My character never loses his dream for marathon-running,” said Jang.

The new film has been making headlines for bringing together three of Asia’s hottest superstars, including Jang, Odagiri and Chinese actress Fan Bingbing.

The film is slated to open in Korea in December and in Japan on Jan. 14, 2012. Discussions are underway for distribution dates in China and the United States, which are expected to fall sometime around mid-January next year.

“The difference from previous local films that showed abroad is that these are direct distributions rather than a result of foreign companies buying the distribution rights,” said Kang.

Source: http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/k ... big-245837 (Hollywood Reporter, 8th October 2011).

nobodyofnote

Post by nobodyofnote » 15 Nov 2011 14:32

Japanese trailer for Jang Dong Gun & Odagiri Joe’s “My Way” revealed

CJ Entertainment Japan and Toei have released the first trailer for upcoming $28 million World War II epic, “My Way“, starring Japanese actor Odagiri Joe and South Korean actor Jang Dong Gun.

The film was directed by South Korean director Kang Je Gyu (“Shiri”, “Taegukgi – Brotherhood”), who was inspired by an old photograph of an Asian person wearing a German uniform during the war and backtracked the person’s 12,000 km long trek to Europe.

However, more than a story of war, “My Way” lays its focus on the deep bond between two men. During their childhood, they started as rivals with the dream of winning the marathon at the Olympics. With the outbreak of World War II, they were both forced to enter the military.

Hasegawa Tatsuo (Odagiri Joe) comes from a militaristic family and was proud to serve his country, but Kim Jun Shik (Jang Dong Gun), who is a servant of the Hasegawa family, actually didn’t want to go to war. During their harsh and long journey from Asia, through Siberia, to Normandy, they end up not only wearing the Japanese uniform, but also the uniforms of the Soviet Union and Germany.

The climax of the film happens towards the end at the Battle of Normandy. It took the production team more than three months to prepare the large-scale set. Moreover, 2,300 extras and state-of-the-art filming equipment were used to capture the intensity of the battlefield.

“My Way” is going to open in Japan on January 14th.

Source: http://www.tokyohive.com/2011/11/traile ... -revealed/ (Tokyo Hive, 13th November 2011).

Japanese trailer: http://youtu.be/eNmZmjH_ouU

JockCampbell41

Post by JockCampbell41 » 28 Nov 2011 12:51

http://youtu.be/_j4Gcu7wlMc

WTF did I just see that right??? What are C-47 Dakota paratroop aircraft doing in formation with B-17 bombers??? And the P-51 that strafes the German troops at the very end and crashes into a trench? The P-51 (which every filmmaker particularly top over-user Spielberg seems to have a crush on) was an air superiority fighter and on Normandy would have been assigned top-cover rather than close support. Were there any squadrons assigned to close support at Normandy? The most I've read about is behind-the-lines interdiction - why would they be strafing the beaches when they a) were more likely to hit their own troops as the enemy's and b) were more likely to be shot at by their own troops as by the enemy's.

The Normandy beaches seem to have a concrete WALL a LITERAL Atlantic Wall...

I'm starting to think that this might be over-dramatized to the point of ridiculousness... I hope I'm wrong.

Kim Sung

Post by Kim Sung » 03 Dec 2011 09:09

This film will be released on December 22 in Korea. Maybe I'll be the first forum member who will watch this movie. I'll post my review here after watching this movie whether it meets expectations of many military buffs who have waited for its completion more than 6 years.

http://southern.or.kr/60130114791

JockCampbell41

Post by JockCampbell41 » 05 Dec 2011 09:49

Thanks Kim Sung, I'm looking forward too it with much anticipation as well - I guess I tend to be a bit more critical because I have such high hopes for this project. Also, I loved Taegukgi and I thought that as a film it really brought the Korean side of the Korean War (which most westerners have only seen through the eyes of the western soldiers in films like the Bridges at Tokko-Ri and Pork Chop Hill) to vivid and terrible life, with all the suffering and heartbreak that a civil war brings about. I really appreciated that so when I heard he was directing this one I had high hopes for it. I hope my hopes won't be dashed.

Kim Sung

Post by Kim Sung » 15 Dec 2011 14:37

My Way - 8 minute highlight recently released

Return to “Movies, games & other fiction”