A Korean POW in Normandy, a hero in a new movie

Discussions on WW2 and pre-WW2 related movies, games, military art and other fiction.
Kim Sung

Postby Kim Sung » 11 Dec 2005 11:25

Alvin Lee, you can see the documentary in this link some days later. You don't have to sign up in this site.

Kim Sung

Postby Kim Sung » 11 Dec 2005 16:43

I've seen the documentary just now. AHF and Alvin Lee's http://www.geocities.com/alvinlee_81/WarPics1.html are broadcasted in this documentary. I suppose that this is the first time AHF is broadcasted in a main broadcasting company. Am I Right?

What I posted about the Korean POW at the start of this thread is based on information that was not confirmed. Even though I've seen just the first part of the documentary, it seems that the Korean POW's name is not Yang, Kyongjong. I'm sorry for having provided a rash information to you. :?

The documentary began to trace the Korean POW from the zero base. The reporters have been to Utah beach, Saint Mer-Eglise, Tokyo, Ulan Bataar, Khalkhingol, Chita, Moscow, Zedovsk and Germany to find any information on him. I haven't seen such a multilingual documentary like this: Korean, Japanese, Mongolian, English, French, Russian, and German are heard in this documentary, which symbolizes his fate.

More than half of this documentary consisted of accounts from peoples from seven different nationalities. So, English, French, Japanese, German and Russian speakers in this forum might be able to understand considerable part of this documentary. It's already midnight here, so I'll tell more of this tomorrow.

If you have the latest version of Windows Media, you can see this documentary in the above link some days later. I'll let you know how to see it if you want. :)

Kim Sung

Postby Kim Sung » 12 Dec 2005 03:40

Now, you can see this documentary in the above link. Click on 100k or 300k on the right of 2005-12-11 노르망디의 코리안(제1부) 독일군복을 입은 조선인. You can use my ID and password

ID: killchola
PW: normandy

But, you need the latest version of Windows Media Player(Window Media Player 10).
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/window ... efault.asp

Sturmannlee

Postby Sturmannlee » 12 Dec 2005 14:42

Dear Killchola,

I just watched the documentray...courtesy of your ID and password and found out that the docu has been most comprehensive and made me go...whoa!

The docu is easily, and award winning piece! =-p

Nice piece of work dug up and assembled despite tracing back to find original documents pertaining to that Korean soldat...But in the end, did they identify that it was him as the one that joined the Japanese, Russian and German armies?

Are you doing research on such obscurities as well?

Regards

* Alvin *

Kim Sung

Postby Kim Sung » 12 Dec 2005 15:17

Sturmannlee wrote:But in the end, did they identify that it was him as the one that joined the Japanese, Russian and German armies?

Not comfirmed yet. The documentary you saw just now is the first part of the two sequels. The remaining part will be broadcasted on next Sunday. Wait~!

Are you doing research on such obscurities as well?

Of course!

Kim Sung

Postby Kim Sung » 18 Dec 2005 15:52

I've seen the second part of the documentary just now. They(SBS reporters) failed to find the Korean POW eventually.

They showed another shocking, new fact: there were Guatemalan, Javanese, Filipino, Iraqi and Iranian volunteers who were captured in Normany. This is entirely a new information, isn't it?

Kim Sung

Postby Kim Sung » 19 Dec 2005 14:20

Now, you can see the second part of this documentary in the above link. Click on 100k or 300k on the right of 2005-12-18 노르망디의 코리안(제2부) 국적 없는 포로. Use my ID and PW in the above post.

Genghis

Postby Genghis » 18 Jan 2006 06:57

Hello, I am having trouble viewing the documentaries. It keeps telling me to download Mediaplayer, which I did, but it keeps popping up.
Can anyone help?
Thanks

Kim Sung

Postby Kim Sung » 18 Jan 2006 07:45

Genghis wrote:Hello, I am having trouble viewing the documentaries. It keeps telling me to download Mediaplayer, which I did, but it keeps popping up.
Can anyone help?
Thanks

You need the latest version of Windows Media Player(Window Media Player 10).
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/window ... efault.asp

Barn

Postby Barn » 01 Feb 2006 02:14

For some reason I can't get these to download either. It keeps saying that "a license is required to play the selected content" I follow all the links, but it doesn't help me to view the program.

Oh well.

Just wondering if there's anymore information available on the film that's set to be released.

Genghis

Postby Genghis » 28 Feb 2006 10:42

Yeah, I borrowed the video/doc from a Korean video store today and watched the whole thing. Quite revealing as it says that there was more than one Korean who donned the German uniform to fight in the Wehrmacht.
I would also like to know when the movie is out?
Also, I heard that his son and daughter live in US, but is there more info on this?

mars

Postby mars » 28 Feb 2006 17:18

Kim, I am sorry, but let me make it straight, when your cuntry was occupied by Japanese, Mr Yang was conscripted into Japanese army, the same army was brutalizing your homeland, then he fought for Japanese, got caputured by Soviet, then he decided to join soviet army and fight for communist ? after captured by nazi, he allowed himself, again !, to be enlisted into German army and fought for Nazi ? It looks like American did not have interest to enlist him, otherwise he would be sure no problem for fighting for American, what a lost...

Kim, I understand Mr Yang may well be forced to fight for Japanese, Russian and German, he may have no love feeling to all of them, but I realy miss the "hero" part, for me, Kim Gu and Yun Pong-Gil were more qualified this title.

Genghis

Postby Genghis » 28 Feb 2006 23:39

mars wrote:Kim, I am sorry, but let me make it straight, when your cuntry was occupied by Japanese, Mr Yang was conscripted into Japanese army, the same army was brutalizing your homeland, then he fought for Japanese, got caputured by Soviet, then he decided to join soviet army and fight for communist ? after captured by nazi, he allowed himself, again !, to be enlisted into German army and fought for Nazi ? It looks like American did not have interest to enlist him, otherwise he would be sure no problem for fighting for American, what a lost...

Kim, I understand Mr Yang may well be forced to fight for Japanese, Russian and German, he may have no love feeling to all of them, but I realy miss the "hero" part, for me, Kim Gu and Yun Pong-Gil were more qualified this title.

Hi Mars, he is a hero because he like all veterans of all countries who fought are heros.

mars

Postby mars » 01 Mar 2006 00:31

Genghis wrote:
mars wrote:Kim, I am sorry, but let me make it straight, when your cuntry was occupied by Japanese, Mr Yang was conscripted into Japanese army, the same army was brutalizing your homeland, then he fought for Japanese, got caputured by Soviet, then he decided to join soviet army and fight for communist ? after captured by nazi, he allowed himself, again !, to be enlisted into German army and fought for Nazi ? It looks like American did not have interest to enlist him, otherwise he would be sure no problem for fighting for American, what a lost...

Hi Mars, he is a hero because he like all veterans of all countries who fought are heros.

Genghis, I do not agree, only those fought for his homeland and his people could be called hero

Kim Sung

Postby Kim Sung » 01 Mar 2006 03:19

mars wrote:Genghis, I do not agree, only those fought for his homeland and his people could be called hero

I think the Korean in German uniform is just a victim, not a hero. Those who fought for his homeland and his people in a righteous war are heroes. Those who fought for his homeland and his people in an unjustifiable war are also victims.

Return to “Movies, games & other fiction”