das boot !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Discussions on WW2 and pre-WW2 related movies, games, military art and other fiction.
theraven

das boot !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post by theraven » 30 Sep 2002, 22:08

with out a doubt!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mark V

Post by Mark V » 30 Sep 2002, 22:59

Good one ?? OK, it is.

Seen it 3 dozen times and one more time day after tomorrow. It is coming again from TV...

Daniel L

Post by Daniel L » 30 Sep 2002, 23:05

I got the directors cut version and I think it's a great movie, right next to stalingrad or the thin red line. good music as well!

regards

Caldric

Post by Caldric » 17 Oct 2002, 02:49

What did you like about Thin Red Line Charlie?

It was poetry, sure it was a brutal poetry but poetry none the less.

It had little to no basis in reality or historical accuracy.

Daniel L

Post by Daniel L » 17 Oct 2002, 09:13

I like the way the soldiers were portrayed and that you could see the psychological effects of combat. It was such a beautiful mixture of poetry, 'animals planet' and war movie. I can't say much about historical accuracy since I know very little about the pacific theatre.

regards

tonyh

Post by tonyh » 17 Oct 2002, 10:52

Personally I think the er.....poetry in TRL was absolutely awful. Grunts from Louisiana tend not to wax lyrical about war, they can barely find the words to state that they want to go home.

"...where did this great evil come from?" Indeed!

When the characters aren't yapping in their terrible voice overs, the film is pretty good.

Tony

Ogorek

Post by Ogorek » 17 Oct 2002, 16:26

Caldric....

THIN RED LINE is based on James Jones' experiences with G Company, 27th Infantry (Wolfhounds) on Guadalcanal. It is part of a trilogy (FROM HERE TO ETERNITY - THIN RED LINE - WHISTLE) based on four basic character - Top Sergeant - Cook Sergeant - Company Clerk - bonehead private, who re-occur (albeit with different names) in all the books.

Of all the books WHISTLE is the best, and most devastating - and should be read only when one is in a strong psychological state of mind.

The 1953 movie FROM HERE TO ETERNITY, as good as a film as it is, could not state the story as written because of the times. The little-scene made for television version from the late 70's had six hours to flesh out the story and with different times, started with the EM cruising gay areas, and pretending to get picked up, only to roll them to supplement their income so they could go to the New Congress Club (actually the New Senator Hotel which did exist in pre-war Honolulu)

James Jones was an unvarnished American who boxed on the G Company boxing team. For his hard-bitten views on the American experience during the war, see WW II (ISBN 0-448-11896-3, Grosett & Dunlap, 1975) - a collection of war art from the period with a text by JJ.

What directors do with his complicated works is open to interpretation - as the books unfold through what is going on in the minds of the participants.

When he died, the obituary in NEWSWEEK stated that Jones was "the non-com's Homer." Give the printed word a shot, and the celluloid will be much different.....

Cheers,

Ogorek
Last edited by Ogorek on 17 Oct 2002, 16:36, edited 1 time in total.

Ogorek

Post by Ogorek » 17 Oct 2002, 16:29

Sorry .... Double Post - SEE ABOVE

porta

thin red line

Post by porta » 19 Oct 2002, 16:58

regardless of factual/historical reality trl has some of the greatest humanistic responses ever depicted in a movie , "i'm twice the man you are" , the captains refusal to send send his men into a suicidal attack, and the reaction to a 'dear john' must rate among'nst the finest portrayls of men in combat in cinematic history.
cross of iron:movie, should'nt really rate a mention, read the book.

dasboot

Post by dasboot » 23 Oct 2002, 07:40

I loved this film. It was an unbiased view of life aboard a U-boat. There is also a good documentary called "U-boat war" that I just got a couple of months ago and must say that you wont be disappointed. Check it out. Mine's on a DVD format.

houndie

Post by houndie » 07 Nov 2002, 00:04

"Das boot" and "Thin red line" were both directed (or produced, I don't really see the difference) by Wolfgang Petersen, who will (also) direct the movie version of one of my favourite books, "Ender's game". I guess you haven't heard of it or think it's childish and simple (it was, at many parts, childish, but even Matrix has humour in it, by simplicity it had no details in about how everything looked), but it was a good book. That book was the reason I am here (it gave me a thrill about tactics, which led me to a guy, who knows a lot about WWII, but, by a twist of fate, knows practically nothing of the tactics involved. Tried searching for it here, but no luck).

So, anyway, I just wanted to say that a thing I am really looking forward to has the same director, that "Das boot" had.
War is a matter of vital importance to the state. Hence, it is imperative that it be studied thoroughly - sun tzu
The truth of world war should be documented and it should not be treated as nazi propaganda.

Return to “Movies, games & other fiction”