Heinrich goes to Hollywood

Discussions on WW2 and pre-WW2 related movies, games, military art and other fiction.
Ant!

Heinrich goes to Hollywood

Post by Ant! » 04 Apr 2002, 08:52

Alright isn't it about time Hollywood came out with a action movie based on the incredible life and story of one of our favorite WW2 German war celebrities. Lets face Private Ryan doesnt have anything on say Panzermeyer or Peiper.
Imagine a Hollywood budget movie following Peiper first through riding school getting drafted into SS. Nurneburg rallies. Working with Himmler in the Reichfuhrer headquarters then going on to be one of the best most fearless loyal German frontline soldiers of the war.

Question?

What German war celebritie's story would make for the best movie? and Why?
Here are some I can think of Peiper, Panzermeyer, Hans Ulrich Rudel.

Karl

Skorzeny

Dan Feltmate

Post by Dan Feltmate » 04 Apr 2002, 08:55

Adolf Galland would be cool.

Erich Hartmann

Michael Wittmann

Hans Ulrich Rudel...

Peiper

Himmler.

Reinhard Heydrich...

von Paulus

and more.....

kelty90

Post by kelty90 » 04 Apr 2002, 09:44

Assuming this isn't a joke question...
A "Hollywood" movie with a Nazi soldier hero could never happen. With British or US or Soviet "heroes" the bottom line is that they are doing good deeds...they are liberating countries/people from German occupation...killing unwanted invaders. Remember, in WW2 movies as in real life, the Germans are the Bad Guys.
How could a studio justify any WW2 German soldier being in France/Russia/Poland in the first place?. It does not matter how brave or skilled they were in real life, they shouldn't have been in other people's countries in the first place!. Allied soldiers portrayed in movies always have a good motive. Private Ryan was helping to free France, the Dam Busters were helping to diminish German industry, the Bridge at Remagen was being crossed to free germany from the Nazis.
What price a film about M Wittmann?...in Russia in order to enslave it?...killing British soldiers who were only trying to liberate France?.
And remember, the major audience for any such movie is the USA and the UK. Does anyone really think many people would want to see a biopic of Adolf Galland or Sepp Dietrich?. And, of course no major movie "star" would ever portray a sympathetic WW2 German as a "hero".

Zapfenstreich

Wait a minute.

Post by Zapfenstreich » 04 Apr 2002, 17:47

Remember the following movies? THE DESERT FOX, ALL QUIET ON THE WESTERN FRONT, A TIME TO LOVE AND A TIME TO DIE, THE ENEMY BELOW, SEA CHASE, THE LONGEST DAY and THE YOUNG LIONS.

All these movies portrayed German soldiers or seamen as men just doing their jobs.

Z

mike262752

Post by mike262752 » 04 Apr 2002, 18:41

"Allied soldiers portrayed in movies always have a good motive. Private Ryan was helping to free France, the Dam Busters were helping to diminish German industry, the Bridge at Remagen was being crossed to free germany from the Nazis."

Those German soldiers were fighting for their country. I guess all films pertaining to the Revolutionary War portray the Americans as evil? They "invaded" the indian's land. Am I evil for living on Mexicos former land? Just invading a land doesnt make you evil.

You can add U-Boot, Star of Africa(never seen it but heard about it) and Stalingrad to the list of German soldier movies. Although those arent American.

I think ANY American movie showing the war from the German view would be great. Movies like Saving Private Ryan portray them as face less evil morons. Hollywood war movies are ridiculous.

MICHAELM82

Post by MICHAELM82 » 04 Apr 2002, 18:57

Hey,
I would like to see a movie on the 12.SS Panzer Division from its creation, fighting in France, Ardennes and then Hungary.The German heroes would be Witt, Meyer, Wunsche and Mohnke.
Yes, this would never happen, having a movie on german "hereos".Not a lot of people can take the German soldier as person but a criminal, that I think is nonsense.
Cheers,
Michael

Endo

Das Boot

Post by Endo » 14 Oct 2002, 03:32

Was The Boat a hollywood film. It seemed at least to not be so pro Allied. I think anyone who has watched it wants those guys to get the sub off the bottom and back to port.

Return to “Movies, games & other fiction”