Austro-Hungarian armor...

Discussions on all aspects of Austria-Hungary. Hosted by Glenn Jewison.
Mait

Austro-Hungarian armor...

Post by Mait » 17 Nov 2002, 04:23

Hello.

Has anyone got pictures/data/stories about Austro-Hungarian armored cars or armored trains of WW1? Or does anyone know a good web site about them?

Also - did the Austro-Hungarians try to develope tanks during WW1?

Best Regards,

Mait.

Robert Hurst

Austro-Hungarian Armour

Post by Robert Hurst » 06 Dec 2002, 18:02

Hi Mait

The only armoured vehicles of Austro-Hungarian origin that I have been able to find are as follows:

Pre-World War I

Daimler Panzerwagen, 1904

The first turreted armoured car in the world was a 1904 Daimler, with four-wheel drive, curved hull and dome-shaped turret, mounting a single water-cooled Maxim machine gun. The armour was about 13 mm thick which kept the weight down to under 3 tons. Top speed was 28 mph and its 35 hp engine had a good performance over a 155-mile radius of action. It was 13 ft long, 5 ft 11 in wide and 8 ft 2 in high.

Daimler Panzerwagen, 1905

In 1905, the Daimler Panzerwagen was modified by fitting a new turret, open at the rear, with two small openings in the front so that two Maxims could be fitted side by side. Demonstrated to the Germans during the Austro-Hungarian manoueuvres of 1905, it was surprisingly not adopted by both either army.

World War I

Romfell armoured car, 1915.

During World War I, the Austrian army formed a small number of armoured car units, but used mainly captured enemy cars (Italian and Russian). There were, however, two Austrian-built cars, the first of these being the Romfell, which had a distinctive inward-sloping body, circular turret, bevelled all round and mounting a machine gun. It also possessed disc wheels and solid tyres.

The only other Austrian produced armoured car types was the Juncoviz 1and II. This used an Austro-Fiat chassis, with a built-up armoured body which had ports for machine guns in front and sides.

The later model of Juncoviz was very similar in design to the Juncoviz I, but the armour plate extended much lower all round, with the rear sections hinged so as to allow access to the rear wheels.

The above was taken from 'A Photo History of Armoured Cars in Two World Wars', by George Forty. The appended photos are also taken from the above source.

Regards

Bob
Attachments
romfell.jpg
Romfell armoured car, 1915
romfell.jpg (246.12 KiB) Viewed 3998 times
panzerwagen 1905.jpg
Daimler Panzerwagen, 1905
panzerwagen 1905.jpg (83.4 KiB) Viewed 4007 times
panzerwagen 1904.jpg
Daimler Panzerwagen, 1904
panzerwagen 1904.jpg (144.49 KiB) Viewed 4007 times

Mait

Post by Mait » 07 Dec 2002, 17:15

Do You have any numbers about the Russian and Italian armored cars captured by Austro-Hungarian army and pressed in the service? Were the Austin-Putilovs also used?

Best Regards,

Mait.

Robert Hurst

Austro-Hungarian Armour

Post by Robert Hurst » 10 Dec 2002, 17:20

Hi Mait

Here are he rest of the photos I promised.

Regards

Bob
Attachments
jungoviz ii.jpg
The armour plate of this model extended much lower all round, with the rear sections hinged so as to allow access to the rear wheels.
jungoviz ii.jpg (153.54 KiB) Viewed 3962 times
jungoviz i.jpg
This armoured car used an Austro-Fiat chassis, with a built-up armoured body which had ports for machine-guns in front and sides.
jungoviz i.jpg (156.66 KiB) Viewed 3972 times

Mait

Post by Mait » 11 Dec 2002, 15:58

Thanks for the great pictures :)

By the way, do You have more data about them? I mean armor thickness, engine power, speed and ammo carried? Also, I am very interested in production numbers (even approximate) and dates...

I found a webpage (actually it is a part of "Achtung Panzer webpage) that deals with Austin-Putilov armored cars, and states that small numbers of them were captured and used by Austro-Hungarian forces. The webpage has following address: http://derela.republika.pl/austin.htm and the article about that armored car is worth reading :)

Also, the "Austro-Hungarian Landforces" website has a forum and with little time I have studied it so far, I found a thread about Austro-Hungarian armor already, that has some interesting posts. It can be found on that address: http://pub80.ezboard.com/faustrohungari ... =100.topic

If I dig out more I'll post it here:)

Best Regards,

Mait.

PS! If anyone has some data (i mean types and numbers) about the armored cars captured by Austro-Hungarian army and used by it in WW1 - please share that info.

daveh

Post by daveh » 28 Jun 2003, 18:25

Gunther Burstyn, an Austrian army officer, designed a small tracked vehicle he called a Motorgeshutz. He presented a model of his design to the Austrian War Office in October 1911. It was designed to be 12 feet long, 4 1/2 ft wide, and have a cross country speed of 5 mph.

It was a tracked vehicle with a pair of wheels fitted on frames at front and rear to help in traction and sterring. The armament, some form of gun is shown in the drawing, was fitted in a turret.

zsepi

Post by zsepi » 30 Jun 2003, 10:55

Hi folks
There is an article about the austro hungarian pc cars in the newest Haditechnika. This is the second part of the series. Good drawings by Harris broters
cheers
Zsolt Palinkas

Return to “Austria-Hungary 1867–1918”