WW1 - Russian Prison Camps

Discussions on all aspects of Austria-Hungary. Hosted by Glenn Jewison.
jakins

WW1 - Russian Prison Camps

Post by jakins » 05 Sep 2006, 05:11

My father was in the Austria - Hungary army in August, 1914 and fought in Galicia when he was wounded and a few days later was picked up the Russian army and taken to Rostov Prison. If anyone has any information on this prison please answer me as I am writing a story on my father's war experience. Thank you. Jakins

simojt_marjun

Re: WW1 - Russian Prison Camps

Post by simojt_marjun » 06 May 2009, 20:34

Try this it is wonderful and inspiration story about Prison it is all about Thinking God.
click this link
http://www.thankgodforebooks.com/father ... rison.html

James A Pratt III

Post by James A Pratt III » 08 May 2009, 21:41

There are two books that I know of that deal with Russian POW camps:
POW's and the Great War Captivity on the Eastern Front, Alon Rachamimov
Among Prisoners of War in Russia and Siberia Elsa Brandstorm
I don't know if they have any info on that camp but, they may have some info you might find usefull.

falkenaueger

Post by falkenaueger » 19 Oct 2011, 03:03

My grandfather was captured on the first day of the WW1 on the eastern front with Russia. He was taken to Yekaterinburg and brought before Czar Nicholas and his family. He was taken to Tara where a POW camp was established. He remained there past the end of the war until 1921 and simply walked out of the pow camp when the guards left. He managed to catch the trans-Siberian train and made it to the East Prussian border where he was denied entry in 1921. As a Austrian citizen he had not country as he was from Falkenau/Eger in Bohemia.
Does anyone have any knowledge of the Tara, Russia POW camp?

a-h

Post by a-h » 25 Nov 2011, 14:52

On my site there are a number of articles about Russian POW's camps, but in Russian. Maybe with the help of an Google Translate?
http://ah.milua.org/

Kasia

Post by Kasia » 27 May 2015, 13:37

Falkengueger like your grandfather, my grandfather was also captured by the Russians and taken to Yekaterinburg (he had been in the Austrian Hungarian army). Do you know the place where your grandfather was brought before Czar Nicholas and his family?
My mother said her father (my grandfather) worked in the Tsar's palace gardens and had seen the Tsarina. My grandfather said the Tsarina always made sure that the prisoners of war were able to attend church on Sundays.
Perhaps our grandfather's were in the same POW camp? I cannot locate any called Tara or Tapa on the internet.
If you, or anyone on this list, has any information about prison camps in this area, or any idea which palace gardens my grandfather might have worked in, I would be grateful to hear from you. From what Igather the Tsar did not have any palaces around the Yekaterinburg area, although I realize that it was in Yekaterinburg that the Royal family were killed.

James A Pratt III

Post by James A Pratt III » 31 May 2015, 01:11

As far as I can tell Nicholas II passed through Ekaterinburg Once before he became Tsar on the trans-Siberian rail road. Again in August 1917 with his family to Tobolsk and the final time in the spring of 1918 where he and his family were imprisoned and murdered. They were imprisoned in a commendered house. The Tsar had no palaces in this area.

Alexandra I believe did meet with central powers wounded POWs that received care in the hospitals she sponsored and ran in the Petrograd area during WW I. There were Central powers POWs in Tobolsk who helped fix up the Govenor's house where they lived for awhile. The were also a number of Central powers POWs at Ekaterinburg who did work at the house of Special purpose.

See the book Last days of the Romanovs
also see the site alexanderpalace.org which you can find about anything and everything on Nicholas II and his family.

James A Pratt III

Post by James A Pratt III » 01 Jun 2015, 23:02

The Last Days of the Romanovs author is Helen Rappaport she has another book The Four Sisters/Romanov Sisters about the 4 daughters of the last Tsar.
Note there is another book also titled the last Days of the Romanovs on archive.org by George telberg and Robert Wilton. I don't everyone will like what Wilton has to say.

James A Pratt III

Post by James A Pratt III » 10 Jun 2015, 00:58

There is a book Siberian Garrison by Rodion Markovts which is about the author's experiences in a Russian POW camp he was in the Austro-Hungarian army. There is a book in the works about The Empress Alexandra's war relief work.

Tosun Saral

Post by Tosun Saral » 19 Jun 2015, 23:44

The monument erected by Turkish POWs for their Hungarian, Austrian and german Kamaraden who died at Krasnoyarks POW camp at Siberia.
Source: Tosun Saral collection
Attachments
anıt.jpg

Ken S.

Post by Ken S. » 20 Jun 2015, 02:51

This bibliography lists some interesting, but usually difficult to find first-person accounts (scroll about 1/4 the way down, or c. pg. 122 in the original/scan)...

https://archive.org/stream/booksonsovie ... p_djvu.txt

Return to “Austria-Hungary 1867–1918”