IR29 Unit

Discussions on all aspects of Austria-Hungary. Hosted by Glenn Jewison.
VIKA

IR29 Unit

Post by VIKA » 19 Oct 2006, 21:53

I came upon some old Feldpost from my Paternal grandfather writing home. I attached one of these letters.
I have been able to trace the movements of the Regiment from the Eastern front to end of March, 1916, when the unit left the Isonzo theatre. As my grandfather got killed sometime after Jun 19, 1916 (last letter that I have), I wonder if somebody can help me trace the movement of the unit after March, 1916.
I have also included apicture of his unit. I have marked him with #1, and my Maternal Grandfather is marked with #2 who made it through the war, The two of them were not close, hardly knew each other.

Any help graetly appreciated

Ilija
Attachments
PajaVencl1x.jpg
#1 is my Paternal Grandfather
#2 is my Maternal Grandfather
PajaVencl1x.jpg (61.86 KiB) Viewed 1762 times
Jun6x.jpg
Jun6x.jpg (58.29 KiB) Viewed 1761 times

Klemen L.

Post by Klemen L. » 22 Oct 2006, 19:40

I came upon some old Feldpost from my Paternal grandfather writing home. I attached one of these letters. I have been able to trace the movements of the Regiment from the Eastern front to end of March, 1916, when the unit left the Isonzo theatre. As my grandfather got killed sometime after Jun 19, 1916 (last letter that I have), I wonder if somebody can help me trace the movement of the unit after March, 1916.
I have also included apicture of his unit. I have marked him with #1, and my Maternal Grandfather is marked with #2 who made it through the war, The two of them were not close, hardly knew each other.
OK, Viki here is what I have been able to find.

Your paternal grandfather was a member of Machine-Gun Detachment (Maschinengewehr-Abteilung) of the 29th k.u.k. Infantry Regiment "Freiherr von Loudon" from Nagy-Becskerek (today Zrenjanin in the Province of Banat in Serbia). The regiment was predominantly recruited from the Banat area around the home garrison town of Zrenjanin and as a result of this was a very mixed unit - in 1914 about 45% of the regiment was composed of Serbs and Croats and 55% of the men were Banater Germans, Hungarians and Romanians. Anyway, as you have correctly written the regiment was until 16th March 1916 fighting on the Eastern Front. On 26th March 1916 it arrived from Zborow (Galicia) to the Isonzo. It did not stay for a long there as already on 2nd April 1916 it was transfered from the Isonzo-Front to South Tyrol, presumably to take part in the new Austro-Hungarian offensive, which was planned to start on the Asiago - Arsiero plateau. The operation (offensive) was codenamed "Strafexpedition" and started on 15th May 1916 and lasted until 10th June 1916 with occasional skirmishing going on as late as until late June. During this period IR 29 (Nagy-Becskerek) with its three battalions was a part of the 67th k.u.k. Infantry Brigade (together with four battalions of the 101st k.u.k. Infantry Regiment from Békéscaba) of the 34th k.u.k. Infantry Division of the 1st k.u.k. Army Corps of the 3rd Austro-Hungarian Army. A map of the Austro-Hungarian positions in South Tyrol from 12th June 1916 (that is a week before your grandfather had been killed) shows that the 34th Infantry Division was holding a sector between Mt. Belmonte (1206m) and the town of Cesuna, just east of Arsiero. They were facing the two brigades of the Italian 33rd Infantry Division from the Italian 24th Army Corps. In mid-July 1916 the 34th k.u.k. Infantry Division was transfered back to 7th Army on the Eastern Front and arrived there on 21st July 1916 to stop the new Russian offensive, which the Russians have launched to relieve the hard-pressed Italians on the Asiago - Arsiero plateau.

My wild guess would be that your paternal grandfather was killed somewhere around the triangle Mt. Belmonte - Mt. Pau - Mt. Magnaboschi, which were the main objectives of the attacking 34th k.u.k. Infantry Division in May and June 1916.

The good news is that there exist the regimental history of 101 (Békéscaba), which could obtain any further details and maybe even some sketches (maps). The title of the book is:

Pál Makkay: "A 101-es zászló alatt : a v. békéscsabai cs. és k. 101. gy. e. emlékalbuma"; Budapest 1934

As for IR 29 there is no regimental history, but during the war (in 1917) one officer of this regiment wrote a memorial manuscript (about 100 pages) about the actions of this regiment from 1914 to 1917. So probably there is also something about its actions in Tyrol. I don't know. I haven't personally read this memorial manuscript yet.

By the way: Here is an interesting web blog with a published diary of an Italian soldier, who was on Mt. Belmonte and Mt. Pau in May and June 1916.

URL:
1.) http://concettosuma.blogspot.com/2004/0 ... te-pa.html

2.) http://concettosuma.blogspot.com/2004/0 ... te-pa.html

maggio = May
giugno = June
luglio = July

VIKA

Post by VIKA » 23 Oct 2006, 15:02

Klemen,
Thanks very much,,

Great piece of information. You can't imagine how much this info now means to me.
I now have to put this into perspective, place, location and date.

Do you know the machine guns used at this time and place by the A-H??

Ilija

Klemen L.

Post by Klemen L. » 24 Oct 2006, 14:12

Dear Ilija,
Great piece of information. You can't imagine how much this info now means to me.
I now have to put this into perspective, place, location and date.
You are welcome. Glad to be of some help. From your relative's postcard it is also visible that his unit was Maschinengewehr-Abteilung IV., what means that he was serving with IV/29 (4th Battalion of the 29th k.u.k. Infantry Regiment).

Judging from the name I would say he was a Serb, eh? Darinka Vojnov was I presume his mother, sister or wife??
Do you know the machine guns used at this time and place by the A-H??
Sorry Ilija, but I don't think I understand your question?!? The standard Austro-Hungarian machine-gun was 1912 Schwarzlose M7/12 8mm.

lp,

Klemen

VIKA

Post by VIKA » 24 Oct 2006, 16:00

Klemen,

Actually you answered my question, about the machine gun.
Early in the year he was not in this Machine gun unit, as you can see from this previously dated card.

And again you are right, he was a Serb and Darinka was his wife.

Thanks again

Ilija
Attachments
Apr2x.jpg
Apr2x.jpg (141.81 KiB) Viewed 1648 times

VIKA

Post by VIKA » 25 Oct 2006, 15:10

Klemen,

You mention an officer writing a memorial manuscript of actions of the IR29 from 1914 to 1917.

Any idea where to start looking for this manuscript?

Thanks
Ilija

Klemen L.

Post by Klemen L. » 26 Oct 2006, 14:59

Dear Ilija,
You mention an officer writing a memorial manuscript of actions of the IR29 from 1914 to 1917. Any idea where to start looking for this manuscript?
Yes, that is correct. I believe that the National Library or War Archives in Wien (Vienna) might have a copy of it. I plan soon to order some copies of some manuscripts from Vienna myself and you may join me if you are interested, but I am afraid you will have to cover your part of expenses. I am afraid my "wish list" does not allow me to search or order any new manuscript. For more details contact me via PM.

Return to “Austria-Hungary 1867–1918”